Author Topic: Rochester, NY, feed!!! Yes........  (Read 19695 times)

Offline KSYR-pjr

Rochester, NY, feed!!! Yes........
« on: September 28, 2007, 04:08:42 PM »
Just now saw the LiveATC home page announcing the Rochester, NY, feed and I just wanted to express my excitement and big thanks to the KROC feeder, whomever you are.   This now means that we have all upstate NY state class C airports covered. 

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Rochester, NY, feed!!! Yes........
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 05:29:15 PM »
Another great milestone...thanks to all the feeders out there.  Without all of you this site would not be possible.

Dave

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:27:33 PM »
Hey, I had forgotten earlier that Islip is also being fed to LiveATC.net.  This means that all class C airports in New York State are now being offered.   With La Guardia and JFK long-time LiveATC favorites, we also have all class B airports covered.  Four of the TRSA/class D airports remain (Binghamton, Utica, Elmira, and Stewart) to have all public towered airports in NY fed here. 

Offline Michael Roche

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 11:17:46 PM »
Quick Question,

I live exactly 10 miles west of KELM and am very interested in hosting a feed there. Unfortunately, I have no idea what kind of reception I will get. I live literally right next to the 7N1 (Corning Painted-Post) airport. Do you have any idea if this would allow me to recieve ATC comms at all? I know I can probably pick up the pilots, but I really only want to buy the scanner if I can pick up ATC as well.

RE

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 07:24:43 AM »
Mike,

What's the terrain like around the area you live?  All VHF comms work off the line-of-sight principle, so if the antenna can't see the transmitters, you won't get too far.  If it's pretty flat around your area, then it's somewhat promising but hard to say for sure until you try.

Offline Michael Roche

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 08:13:43 AM »
There are some hills in between here and the airport, so it may not work out as well as I would like. Unfortunately, "flat" and "upstate New York" usually don't mix. I'm still considering getting a scanner to try it out, but it will probably be later in the year.

RE

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 08:14:52 AM »
I live exactly 10 miles west of KELM and am very interested in hosting a feed there. Unfortunately, I have no idea what kind of reception I will get. I live literally right next to the 7N1 (Corning Painted-Post) airport. Do you have any idea if this would allow me to recieve ATC comms at all? I know I can probably pick up the pilots, but I really only want to buy the scanner if I can pick up ATC as well.

Hey, Michael, I am commuting these days to Elmira for contract work at Corning.  In fact, just last week I landed at Painted Post to see the viability of commuting there instead of Elmira, given it is only two minutes from where I am working at Corning (Sulliven Park? is the area).   Unfortunately that airport won't work as it does not have any instrument approaches so Elmira it is.

To answer your question, the possibility of you receiving Elmira ATC and most aircraft is a tough call given all those hills that surround that winding river valley where most of the Southern Tier population live.  I am about 9 miles away from the SYR airport, but I only have one small ridge between my home and the airport so reception is pretty good.  If you are next to 7N1, you are more or less on the floor of that valley.  If it were a straight shot I would say go for it, but the fact that there are a few bends in the valley and river between you and Elmira make me think it might not work.

My extra scanner is on loan to the KLAX feed or I would be happy to bring it down for you to experiment with.  Is there anyone you may know that has a scanner sitting in their basement (scanners sometimes are like Nordic Track exercise machines - they wind up in the basement sitting idle for years) that you could borrow to try it.

If you hear two-way communication on 119.45 with the borrowed scanner and no external antenna, even if the reception is poor, then that might be a good sign to consider investing in a scanner, antenna, and cable for an ELM feed.

Offline Michael Roche

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »
Wow, thanks for the info! Yea, I am not too optimistic about getting full ATC and pilot reception right now, but I'm not giving up. I know a few people who may have scanners, so I'll look into that. Also, they have a scanner at the FBO, so I might pop in one day and see if I can hear anything on 119.45.

Thanks for the excellent info!

RE

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 08:38:33 AM »
Also, they have a scanner at the FBO, so I might pop in one day and see if I can hear anything on 119.45.

There's an idea:  Ask the FBO if they would consider offering a feed in exchange for free advertising on this site.   I recently  negotiated monthly hangar space with Atlantic FBO (at ELM) so I have a contact there.  I will ask her this Monday when I get in if this might be a possibility.

The selling points of a smaller airport feed would first be to serve the local flight school, as the archiving here provides an excellent service to those pilots just starting out.  Then of course there is the yearly Watkins Glen NASCAR race that results in a large influx of corporate jets upon that smaller airport.

Speaking of Rochester (bringing this back around to the topic for a moment), that airport hosts an annual two-day WINGS (GA aircraft safety) fly-in/safety seminar and Young Eagles event.   If the weather is good this will make for a very interesting and somewhat chaotic ATC feed, similar to Oshkosh but obviously a bit smaller.  The event is held in the beginning of May and assuming our generous ROC feeder is still here feedin' away, I will be sure to post a few announcements here just before the event and perhaps even a good ATC clip or two in the Audio Clips forum.

Offline dan9125

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 06:02:45 PM »
Rochester, NY, feed!!!  Yes

That is exactly what I said when I signed on today and saw it at the top of the "new feeder" list. Now we can listen to all the flights diverted to Rochester due to lake effect snow @ KBUF this winter. 

Dan
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 06:05:04 PM by dan9125 »

Offline J. White

• http://www.asuhelicopter.com
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 11:40:56 AM »
KROC is good news indeed!

Peter above you said "Four of the TRSA/class D airports remain (Binghamton, Utica, Elmira, and Stewart) to have all public towered airports in NY fed here." Utica (KUCA) is no more. Oneida county airport has moved to Griffiss Airfield (KRME) in Rome. I mention this only because we would probably be better served by someone close to Rome  rather than Oriskany or Utica.

Cheers,

John

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 12:15:31 PM »
Peter above you said "Four of the TRSA/class D airports remain (Binghamton, Utica, Elmira, and Stewart) to have all public towered airports in NY fed here." Utica (KUCA) is no more. Oneida county airport has moved to Griffiss Airfield (KRME) in Rome. I mention this only because we would probably be better served by someone close to Rome  rather than Oriskany or Utica.

Yep, I am indeed living in the past.  Oneida county was decommissioned sometime last February and a sad day it was.   

I have yet to go over to Rome now that it has returned to a towered airport but back when I was getting my private and instrument ratings the airport was untowered and quite dead.  It was fun to go there and practice engine failures on takeoff since in a C172 we could do three of them in a row (take off, climb, pull the power, and land) with ample runway remaining, thanks to their B-52 sized, almost 12,000 foot runway. 

Offline J. White

• http://www.asuhelicopter.com
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 05:41:38 PM »
Peter,

KRME is probably a little more busy than KUCA was in its last years. All of the check runners still have to come in every day and night. Also with Empire Aero Center (EAC) http://www.empireacmro.com/ located in the big hangars one can see some big-iron landing and departing. As of last week when I was there I counted (7) 747's and (3-4) Virgin America Airbus A320's all being worked on. In addition, jetBlue has contracted EAC for maintenance of their fleet as well.

John

Offline bueller

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 09:47:08 AM »
jeff
Just now saw the LiveATC home page announcing the Rochester, NY, feed and I just wanted to express my excitement and big thanks to the KROC feeder, whomever you are.   This now means that we have all upstate NY state class C airports covered. 

Hi Peter,

I'm glad that my KROC feed will fill in the gap for NY.  I found this site about 4 or 5 months ago and have enjoyed listening to both the Buffalo and Syracuse feeds.  After realizing there was a scanner sitting in my basement not doing anything I decided to make a j-pole antenna and see what type of reception I could get.  I finally found a few minutes to mount the antenna a few weeks ago and was excited with the results.  The only difficulty so far is aircraft on the ground.  Not sure that I'll be able to do anything about that as I'm about 100 feet below the airport.

Regards,

Offline moore2215

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 11:54:05 AM »
Yes very glad all airspace is now covered in new york area many thanks to all the volunteer feeds.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 01:53:07 PM »
The only difficulty so far is aircraft on the ground.  Not sure that I'll be able to do anything about that as I'm about 100 feet below the airport.

Hey, welcome!  Don't sweat the ground reception too much because in my opinion, the majority of the action is on tower and approach/departure for us smaller feeds (JFK ground, of course, being its own source of entertainment).   The Syracuse feed also has trouble with ground and I am always reconsidering whether to include it or remove it.

Again, thanks for the feed!

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »
KRME is probably a little more busy than KUCA was in its last years. All of the check runners still have to come in every day and night. Also with Empire Aero Center (EAC) http://www.empireacmro.com/ located in the big hangars one can see some big-iron landing and departing. As of last week when I was there I counted (7) 747's and (3-4) Virgin America Airbus A320's all being worked on. In addition, jetBlue has contracted EAC for maintenance of their fleet as well.

Reads as if Rome is a good place these days to practice wake turbulence avoidance.  :)

Offline nicksair

• http://www.sdcommute.com
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 02:52:39 PM »
Sorta wierd to finally hear my friend (who shall remain nameless) works at the Tower/TRACON online.. lol
NW

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »
Sorta wierd to finally hear my friend (who shall remain nameless) works at the Tower/TRACON online.. lol

What, you mean "Rochester John?"   :)

Edit:  Clarification - This is a joke in reference to other's use of controllers' names on this forum.   

Offline dan9125

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 03:02:38 PM »
bueller,
  I have the same problem with aircraft on the ground at Buffalo, when they are close to the terminal building the signals tend to get blocked and not make the trip to my receiving antenna. Like Peter said most of the interesting comms is by the tower and airborne aircraft.

Dan (KBUF)

Offline bueller

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 03:45:01 PM »

Good point on the ground communications not being as interesting as tower/approach/departure.  My only interest was on the education side.  Hopefully, some time in the near future, I can start working on my PPL and it would be nice to hear the ground comms. 

jeff 

Offline nicksair

• http://www.sdcommute.com
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 03:48:01 PM »

What, you mean "Rochester John?"   :)

Edit:  Clarification - This is a joke in reference to other's use of controllers' names on this forum.   

Haha, no, actually he sounds like hes from the midwest.. so no northeast accent. ;)