airtraffic

Author Topic: Read ATIS online?  (Read 105752 times)

Offline mrhahn

Read ATIS online?
« on: June 25, 2009, 10:24:43 AM »
Afternoon all. Just wondering if it's possible to read the current ATIS for particular airports online, e.g. EGLL? I've found the METAR but never the ATIS.

Cheers!

Offline atcman23

Re: Read ATIS online?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »
Unless someone is feeding a particular airport's ATIS recording, you will not be able to find it anywhere online.  The ATIS recording is recorded by the controllers for that particular airport.  It is updated hourly with the latest weather.  About 80 to 90 percent of the ATIS is the weather, with the rest containing airport specific information such as active runway, local NOTAMs, etc.  There's a ton of things that can go into an ATIS and by definition, the weather is a small part.  As for a regular ATIS, it's mainly the weather (which is the METAR you read). 

An ATIS can change under several situations, with the most often occurrence being a change in weather or airport conditions.

Although, if someone out there knows where to find current ATIS recordings online, that would be sweet!  But I am nor aware of any site out there that has this information, again, because of their localized nature and tendency to change frequently.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »
You can find D-ATIS transcripts through paid subscription at www.fboweb.com. Only airports which currently utilize the D-ATIS within the US are available online.

http://fboweb.com/login/login.aspx?msc=-2&ru=%2fs%2ffp%2fdatis.aspx

Best,
Jason

Offline sykocus

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:07:07 PM »
There quite a few places with phone numbers you can call to hear the the ATIS. I have no idea how you could find that for EGLL. If you were looking for a US airport you can look it up on www.airnav.com

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:30:02 PM »
As an example check out the Lax Number 310-646-2297

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:16:38 PM »
As convenient as it is to call the ATIS telephone numbers, it's also important to keep in mind that this is a vital resource for pilots and aviation professionals.  As an enthusiast, calling will tie up the line which in turn may prevent a more official use (ie, busy signal for a pilot, dispatcher, etc). I, in addition to many of the pilots at the company I work for also use the numbers to get important airport and weather information that isn't updated as quickly on the internet.

There is nothing more frustrating than a busy signal. Especially in 2009.  :-)

Offline mrhahn

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 03:59:17 AM »
Thanks for the answers guys  :-) Interesting how the METAR is so easy to find, but the ATIS requires a little more digging.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 08:30:58 AM »
The METAR is an official weather report and is reported to another agency. Here in the U.S., is is passed along to the National Weather Service.  In most countries, that is public information and is easily found.