Author Topic: Radar equipment  (Read 5002 times)

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Radar equipment
« on: October 30, 2005, 10:05:47 AM »
Has anyone experienced an issue where the radar scopes are mixing up the sqawk codes or displaying incorrect/false rate of climb? Here, the Timmins/Moose sector lately, when pilots sqawk ident, say 3711, the one one's get shuffled to 1137 or 1173.  And, some pilots who are only climbing at 1000 feet per minute, the radars are indicating 2700 ft / min.

Offline Michael.C

Radar equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 11:27:39 AM »
That sounds like a pretty big problem.. haha

Offline Lexxx

• http://www.ykf.ca
Radar equipment
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 04:43:17 PM »
I saw a c182 doing 300 knots on the downwind the other day.

Corrected on the next sweep of course. Not uncommon, a little common sense goes a long way too.

Radar works well within a tight tolerance. If it ventures out side those parameters it tells you something’s wrong. Canadian radar detecting airborne aircraft a pretty reliable. Systems aren't perfect, but failures are few and far between.

I hear ground based aircraft radar systems ASDE can be slightly more problematic.

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Radar equipment
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 08:09:47 PM »
Another issue with northern Ontario radar coverage is when pilots here are on radar in the climb through 10 000, the controllers will ask to confirm the outbound VOR radial.  One pilot stated 3-1-5 and the controller asked to reverify that.  The pilot reconfirmed three, one, five sir.  Controller:  Not that I don't believe you or anything, unless my radar is losing it, but I have you at 320 degrees.  Pilot: Oh ok, well the VOR machine is telling me 3-1-5 and my GPS device is showing 320.  Controller : I'd stick with the GPS if I were you.