Author Topic: Question for Controllers...  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Neil

Question for Controllers...
« on: January 29, 2006, 05:10:11 PM »
Can Center ATC see all vfr aircraft in its airspace? as in, all aircraft squawking 1200? Just curious when I fly VFR if a controller can see my aircraft. Would be nice to know they could  :D

Offline samD

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 05:24:02 PM »
They usually have a range set. For example, they'll only see aircraft between 17000 and FL240. Depends on the sector.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 05:24:58 PM »
Yes, they do see you as a VFR target if they have radar coverage where you are flying.  Frequently they will filter altitudes for the sector they are working and will only look at targets in their "slice of the world" though.

Dave

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »
This is what it may look like, at least on a STARS or ATRS display.  I can't speak for MEARTS but I can't imagine it's much different.  STARS and ARTS have a code bank selection feature to differentiate between several types of non-discrete beacon code banks or discrete beacon codes.  Most controllers select the 1200 range as one of their selected banks.  That means that all codes within the 1200 range which have Mode C data will display on their scope as a square.  Other unassociated tracks in the unselected ranges will display as an *.   This allows controllers to make a quick determination when issuing VFR traffic to aircraft receiving radar service.

If you've ever heard, "...traffic eleven o'clock, 2 miles northbound, VFR, altitude indicates two thousand seven hundred..." this is how controllers know.

Offline Neil

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 09:05:29 PM »
Cool. thanks guys.