airtraffic

Author Topic: May 11, 2005 -- Security breech in DC  (Read 11722 times)

Offline jester115

May 11, 2005 -- Security breech in DC
« on: May 11, 2005, 02:16:02 PM »
Did anyone listening to IAD feed in Washington DC pick up on any of the security breech?  I'm sure controllers from one of the airports (Dulles or National, etc) tried to contact that Cesena.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 02:49:55 PM »
time of incident? Happens often since the ADIZ was put into place, now they are gonna start flashing lights pointed at pilots that penetrate the ADIZ.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 03:11:28 PM »
The DC ATIZ is currently trying to be fixed.  I read this AOPA article about it:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2005/050509adiz.html

Apparantly they want to open DCA to GA and that the ATIZ was temporary and has somehow lingered into todays airspace.

Offline skylane

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 08:52:16 PM »
Quote from: PHL_Approach
time of incident? Happens often since the ADIZ was put into place, now they are gonna start flashing lights pointed at pilots that penetrate the ADIZ.
Well, we can thank two moron  unprofessional pilots for giving all of general aviation yet another national black-eye. There is absolutely no excuse for wandering into such highly protected airspace that has been so obviously off limits for so long. Anyone who has flown anywhere in the US in the past 4 years is aware of the restrictions in DC. Being "lost" is just not acceptable when flying in our airspace system today.  
I hope they tear these two clowns licenses up and never let them near an airplane again.

Offline Kiel McGowan

• http://www.empirelacrossecamp.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 12:08:05 AM »
It should be pretty obvious if you are going to fly near DC that you should know exactly where you cannot go. I would draw the restriction right on the sectional and then plan to be about 10 miles away from that at all times (or more!).  If I for some reason had to go any further I would at least be on with ATC to make sure I did not cross the boundary.  How you could accidently go into there is beyond me.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 07:01:11 AM »
Quote from: Kiel McGowan
It should be pretty obvious if you are going to fly near DC that you should know exactly where you cannot go. I would draw the restriction right on the sectional and then plan to be about 10 miles away from that at all times (or more!).  If I for some reason had to go any further I would at least be on with ATC to make sure I did not cross the boundary.  How you could accidently go into there is beyond me.

Inexperience and stupidity.  There really is no other excuse.  It's always the stupid and careless ones who ruin things for the rest of us.  It's that way in other parts of life, too, not just aviation.

-dave

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 07:05:07 AM »
Quote from: HPNPilot1200
The DC ATIZ is currently trying to be fixed.  I read this AOPA article about it:

Apparantly they want to open DCA to GA and that the ATIZ was temporary and has somehow lingered into todays airspace.

I doubt that will happen after spending for those lasers. They showed them last night, pretty cool they flash 3 red's then a green. I think the ADIZ is here to stay.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 07:47:24 AM »
Quote from: PHL_Approach
Quote from: HPNPilot1200

I doubt that will happen after spending for those lasers. They showed them last night, pretty cool they flash 3 red's then a green. I think the ADIZ is here to stay.

Although the ATIZ may stay, I believe that the radius of the special airspace will be reduced...  Not only does DC have the ADIZ but p-56 and the other prohibited airspace around the major structures of the government.  I watched an in depth video on the lights and seems like a good idea, but if pilots are not educated on their use, etc...they will not know and still get busts into the airspace.

Offline jjalesse

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 07:59:55 PM »
N5826G
5/11/05 12:00 PM
PIC is (was...doh!) a CFI

Another ding to part 91 operations....

Offline Kiel McGowan

• http://www.empirelacrossecamp.com
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 03:14:34 AM »
A quote from I think an AP article said something like "The pilot in command, an instructor, saw a blackhawk helicopter approach his wing and froze up"  Personally I think he most likely needed a new pair of underwear after that incident.   :lol:

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 04:58:39 PM »
Quote from: jjalesse
N5826G

Didn't see any updates to this mistaken fact so I figured that I would correct it:  The PIC was not a CFI.  

The news media incorrectly assumed this during the early days of this incident due to the fact that the person sitting in the passenger seat of the C150 was a student pilot.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 04:57:08 PM »
Quote from: KSYR-pjr
Quote from: jjalesse
N5826G

Didn't see any updates to this mistaken fact so I figured that I would correct it:  The PIC was not a CFI.  

The news media incorrectly assumed this during the early days of this incident due to the fact that the person sitting in the passenger seat of the C150 was a student pilot.

The whole story was well surrounded by AOPA.  A full page ad will be run in USA Today and Roll Call today.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2005/050517adiz.html

Heres some more info on the VWS system:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2005/050518laser.html

The whole story basically summerizes the fealing the media has on GA.  It's aweful it has come to be this way, but all we can do is keep good images of GA in other peoples head and have faith in the AOPA.