Author Topic: Plane headed to CLT from LGA down in Hudson River  (Read 122110 times)

Offline marcoleon

Re: Plane headed to CLT from LGA down in Hudson River
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »
Port Authority is reporting that there were no major injuries. Awesome job by the pilots and the cabin crew.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »
There is no feed for LGA at this time.  As far as we can determine we do not have any recordings of the incident., from any source.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 04:55:45 PM »
There is no feed for LGA at this time.  As far as we can determine we do not have any recordings of the incident., from any source.

Types the man who, as we all read, is scrambling to put together an LGA feed.  :-)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 04:56:03 PM »
Port Authority is reporting that there were no major injuries. Awesome job by the pilots and the cabin crew.

Amazing, truly amazing.  I love it when an aviation incident story ends this way.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 04:57:40 PM »
Keith, if you're reading this, how far are you from Chelsea Peak? You're probably too far away from the city to have seen or heard this? My experience in the area only goes as far as EWR, so I'm not familiar. Also, isn't there a controller at N90 that frequents here? I can't remember. And which sector of N90 handles that area?

At least it's safe to say that an Airbus floats! :)
BL.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:00:26 PM by tyketto »

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 04:58:45 PM »
Incredible job by the crew.  I have never been prouder to be an airline pilot.  Yes, that is what we are trained to do.  Save everyone's butt when things go bad.

But also, good job by the ferry boats.  They said the statue of liberty ferry boats were racing to the plane the instant it hit the water.  Boats were there less than 5 minutes after impact.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »
Keith, if you're reading this, how far are you from Chelsea Peak? You're probably too far away from the city to have seen or heard this? My experience in the area only goes as far as EWR, so I'm not familiar. Also, isn't there a controller at N90 that frequents here? I can't remember. And which sector of N90 handles that area?

BL.

glancar and I believe someone else here are N90 controllers.
LGA departure would have been handling this flight.  Noone knows if they made the switch to departure, most likely not.  They took off Rwy 4, turned north, which is normal procedure from 4.  Sounds like they hit the birds on climbout, and started a left turn, maybe being vectored to TEB.  They were probably too high for HPN.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 05:05:06 PM »
The SmokingGun.com has two pictures of very cold looking passengers taken by citizens with cellphone cameras on one of the rescue boats:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0115092hudson1.html

Offline iiifly

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »

BL.

glancar and I believe someone else here are N90 controllers.
LGA departure would have been handling this flight.  Noone knows if they made the switch to departure, most likely not.  They took off Rwy 4, turned north, which is normal procedure from 4.  Sounds like they hit the birds on climbout, and started a left turn, maybe being vectored to TEB.  They were probably too high for HPN.

Negative, they were at this location at the moment of engine failure (according to the highest alt reported in flightaware):

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=40.860000,+-73.880000&jsv=141e&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.252269,79.101563&ie=UTF8&geocode=FWB5bwIdQK6Y-w&split=0

Too far for HPN but they might have made it to TEB, but that would've been risky.  Based upon the descent profile, 9nm to splashdown from engine failure.  TEB looks like it was at 10nm.

Edit:  Dual engine failure at 3200ft, 195kts at the location above.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:12:19 PM by iiifly »

Offline Candyman

• http://www.rosalindcandy.com
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 05:09:27 PM »
I would guess they were talking to departure if they got above acceleration altitude (1,000ft). LGA hands you have pretty quick to departure. 400ft or so usually.  Depends on when they got into trouble though.  Seems like they turned towards the west then south. I'm guessing they got to about 2,000 feet or so.  

I know I would get a hold of ATC quick to give me vectors and let them know something is wrong.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net

Offline binger

US Airways crash in Hudson River
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »
Anybody have a link or archive of this crash today in the Hudson? I think it was around 4:00PM Eastern. I'm a controller and would like to hear the exchange they had after the bird strike.

Thanks!

DA

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 05:14:20 PM »
As mentioned several times here there are no archives of the incident...unless someone out there caught it and is willing to post it.  We do not have a feed at LGA.

Offline oreotsi

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 05:17:47 PM »
so was this a USair flight or a Cactus?

Glad everyone got out ok

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 05:20:25 PM »
so was this a USair flight or a Cactus?

Haha, ouch.  Hopefully no USA pilots are on here.

Offline ndpitch

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 05:31:06 PM »
Stinks that we don't have a feed.  Hopefully the recordings were caught somewhere.

Offline delta092b

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 05:32:49 PM »
Another good CNN quote just on the TV:

"It's not clear whether a bird hit one engine and then the pilot shut down the 2nd engine...."

Offline laylow

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 05:39:58 PM »

"It's not clear whether a bird hit one engine and then the pilot shut down the 2nd engine...."
Ha, right.  Oh crap, we lost an engine.  Let's shut the good one down too!

Offline deverette

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
Incredible job by the crew.  I have never been prouder to be an airline pilot.  Yes, that is what we are trained to do.  Save everyone's butt when things go bad.

But also, good job by the ferry boats.  They said the statue of liberty ferry boats were racing to the plane the instant it hit the water.  Boats were there less than 5 minutes after impact.

I've been staring at a map for the past 20 minutes, digesting the more credible media reports and pax interviews. "Incredible job" only scratches the tip of the iceberg. I'm not sure how much of this was "discussed" (or even briefed) or how much was instinct by the crew, but consider that after the failures, immediate options that present themselves:

- Continue straight and put it down in a neighborhood in Yonkers. We know how that would turn out.

- Continue straight, contend with the Tappan Zee, land in the river northbound. How would that end? Given the location, would take an hour to get enough assets on scene to get everyone off safely.

- Turn right, clear Hart Island, put down in the Sound near Sands Point. How would that end? Same result, an hour until there were enough assets on scene.

- Turn left, see if you can make TEB (there was a report on the new along those lines), see you won't make it. Continue the turn and put down in the only stretch of area in New York with no real obstructions and the highest probability of instantaneous onscene assistance by dozens of agencies. We all know how that turned out. :)

Absolutely phenomenal job by the entire crew!

Offline RatOmeter

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 05:43:30 PM »

uhhh, yes. Shut down the other engine, that should do the trick.

Some people just shouldn't be given a mic ;)

Offline Acey

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 05:45:10 PM »

:roll: If you want one then provide it. All feeds are provided by volunteers.

Offline Candyman

• http://www.rosalindcandy.com
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2009, 05:46:20 PM »

Ha, right.  Oh crap, we lost an engine.  Let's shut the good one down too!

Unfortunately, that did happen before on an Airbus.  The crew was not trained properly and was getting a vibration on one engine and shut it down but it was the other engine that was going bad. Crashed short of the runway.

There was not enough time to that in this situation nor do I think that happened but it has happened.

Offline RatOmeter

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
Some chatter on this topic on the FlightGear.org IRC channel. Consensus is that we all ought to give the flight crew a hearty pat on the back for a job well done.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 05:46:48 PM »
does lga handoff to 135.9 for departure or is that just jfk?

Offline Acey

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 05:47:38 PM »
Every single landing clearance at Kennedy now, "birds reported on a two mile final..."