airtraffic

Author Topic: Pictures of Okinawa Approach Control  (Read 41805 times)

Offline Cetacea

Pictures of Okinawa Approach Control
« on: February 19, 2005, 09:42:41 PM »
Here are a few pictures of Okinawa Approach Control.

http://gallery.gentux.org/Okinawa-Approach

Offline united777lover

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 02:29:52 AM »
awesome pics man! that girl is kinda cute!!! she sounds hott on the radio might I add ;-)! Man I miss being stationed overseas and hearing the REACH flights talk to where I was based at.

I  dunno why, but that ATC stuff looks SOOO confusing!

Offline Cetacea

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 02:53:10 PM »
There was a pretty good sequence of events that happened late at night here from about Noon-2 PM EST on the 20th.  I was the Departure/Approach controller.

Offline Sumo29

busy night
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 05:47:21 PM »
Thanks for the pictures ! and indeed what  a busy night you mentioned  ! awesome ! I hope they found what was lost by a P3 though !
 :wink:
Cheers !

Offline HH60CC

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 07:12:42 AM »
So thats what I look like when I fly to Nago Bay or White Beach :-)

How about that weather today?  I was recovering one of the helicopters at the 33rd in the monsoon-like rain, and I couldn't see the tower.  Nice pics, finally get to see what the inside looks like after 2 1/2 years of passing it on the way to work everyday!

Offline Cetacea

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 03:03:28 PM »
Mike,

If you ever want a tour of the Rapcon, just let me know and I can hook it up for you.  Also, if you enroll in the ground school at the aeroclub, the class will take a tour of both the tower and Rapcon.

Offline HH60CC

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 04:14:29 PM »
Right on, haven't decided if I wanted to do ground school, or do self study.  I've already studied a good portion of GS.  I'll probably end up taking it anyway...

Offline Sumo29

problem with the audio ?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 11:07:54 AM »
There's been some problem with the audio on the Okinawa files for at least the last 48 hours. some transmissions are "overloaded" or as if the receiver was tuned on FM , and are not understandable, and some others are very faint. There appears to be some problem with the audio connections from the receiver. Maybe our friend Cetacea down there could have a look ? it's so frustratiing to miss some of the action !
Wink
thanks again for letting us hear such an "exotic" location ! ! Cool
Wink

Offline thaddieb

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 09:47:46 PM »
is your tour extended to other people, i am new on the island as a FE on the most annoying plane here the AWACS.  i have always wanted to see what goes on the other side of the radio and i wanna see how the PAR works.  let me know if you can hook me up.  hope to see your feed up soon!!

pat

Quote from: Cetacea
Mike,

If you ever want a tour of the Rapcon, just let me know and I can hook it up for you.  Also, if you enroll in the ground school at the aeroclub, the class will take a tour of both the tower and Rapcon.

Offline HH60CC

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 01:07:34 AM »
Like Cetacea said to me earlier in the thread, hook up with the Aero Club, thier ground school does a tour of Base Ops, Tower, Rapcon, and Weather.  It's a definte must see.

Offline Cetacea

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 06:02:03 AM »
Pat,

I am always willing to give tours.   I just gave a tour to the Aeroclub last week.  If you want a tour, just let me know.  I can hook you up with a tour even if it is just you.

Give me a call @ 634-0235, my name is Tsgt Westfall

Offline jimvt

OKI app.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 08:32:59 AM »
Hello, Sgt. Westfall:

Where are you on Oki?  I got there in summer 1953 and ran the tower at Yontan AB about halfway up the island.  Believe or not we had a squad of f-80s.

Not long after we started a new tower at Naha.  You'd get a nosebleed going to work....100ft tower on a 100foot cliff looking over the landing area.   There we had f-86s and some secret Navy PBMs.  They never flew in daylight hours.

After a year I went up to Johnson AB and Tokyo Center.  Then after I got out to NYARTCC.

I bet things have changed drastically since those days.

BTW, the link at the top of the page doesn't work.

Are there any other links to Okinawa?

Regards,

JimVT aka Dog Yoke.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 09:25:06 AM »
It's a really small world...I just did a high-performance endorsement with a CFI...he has a daughter who has been on Okinawa for a while now.  I believe she teaches English there.

Dave

BMT

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 11:41:21 AM »
Kadena was interesting when the SR-71 was based there.

BMT

Offline Cetacea

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 07:20:47 PM »
The link to the pictures on the first post now works again.  

You can see more pictures of Okinawa here: http://gentux.org/gallery/Glenn-and-Jamie

Enjoy,

Offline jimvt

Oictures of OKI and Naha
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »
Man oh Man...what a difference 50 years makes.

Your air shots and these from a web site -

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/naha/

show fantastic changes.

Good job

Offline Tomato

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 11:08:05 AM »
The link/site/pics work now... awesome pictures - thanks for the post!  8)

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 05:48:13 PM »
Great pictures, Glenn!  It was interesting to see ETVS being used in conjunction with much older radar equipment (possibly ARTS IIA?  I can't tell).  Congratulations on your new instrument rating!

Regards,
Jason

Offline Cetacea

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 05:55:25 PM »
Thanks!  I've been working on my IR for a year now.  I had to keep delaying it for various reasons, but I passed my checkride yesterday.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 06:00:38 PM »
Thanks!  I've been working on my IR for a year now.  I had to keep delaying it for various reasons, but I passed my checkride yesterday.

Yup.  I saw your post in the AOPA forums, which I post and browse (most often the latter of the two) often.

What is it like to fly in Japan?  Who did you do your checkride with? ...an FAA DE?

I have no experience whatsoever using an FAA-issued pilots license in another country nor what privledges you may have (or if it is the same as stated in the FARs or not.  ie: things are very different in Canada).  Were the PTS the same for your instrument checkride and are FARs in Japan the same as here in the states, or does Japan have their own set of regs?

Thanks!
Jason

Offline Cetacea

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 06:04:34 PM »
No, it is all the same.  I fly out of the Kadena Aeroclub which is FAA certified.  The examiner is an FAA DE who is also the Aero Club manager here.  All rules and regulations are the same as the States.  The hard part is understanding the Japanese controllers sometimes, but it isn't too bad.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 06:23:34 PM »
No, it is all the same.  I fly out of the Kadena Aeroclub which is FAA certified.  The examiner is an FAA DE who is also the Aero Club manager here.  All rules and regulations are the same as the States.  The hard part is understanding the Japanese controllers sometimes, but it isn't too bad.

Cool...thanks for the clarification!  I bet it's difficult understanding the Japanese controllers, but at the same time, I'm sure US Military controllers (like you) have a difficult time understanding the pilots on the other side, the radar side.

Offline jimvt

Understanding the Japanese controllers
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2006, 07:10:40 PM »
At Tokyo Center in the 1950s....most of the Center- Control Tower contact was from JASDF guys who were very good but a bit hard to understand at the time......I'm sure the same was true with the Japanese guys trying to understand us!

For a couple of years my contact at Matsushima Tower was a guy named "Nakamaru" who signed off as "Nan Uncle".

It still came out like "Non Uncla"....but we got used to each other and he understood my "Dog Yoke."

Then some dumb bureacrat in DC decide we needed to change the alphabet.

So "Non Uncla"....had to deal with "No-wember-unihorm." (Novembr
Uniform)

I'm not sure he ever understood "Delta Yankee!"

JimVT

Offline thaddieb

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 04:20:23 AM »
the japanese controllers are hard to understand.  I'm glad that i'm the FE and don't have to talk on the radio.  Most times i have no idea what they are talking about but the pilots have been here for a while and know what to expect from them.  The funniest thing that happens to us is that we go out in a orbit and it's something that we do day in and day out, so it's not like it's something new to them.  Everytime we ask for the clearance in there it's like they don't know what we're talking about.  It's definetly a good experience though.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 09:29:15 AM »
Congrats G-Dub!

It is one of the more difficult ratings...so a significant accomplishment!

Safe flying.

Dave