Author Topic: PHL Spotting areas ??  (Read 6352 times)

Offline MIAMIATC

PHL Spotting areas ??
« on: December 07, 2005, 11:00:31 AM »
My job has taken me numerous times past PHL INT Airport on I-95 the last 2 weeks and I was wondering  where there are good spotting nooks so when I am on lunch down there I can listen and spot aircraft. Anybody w/suggestions would be nice

Offline PHL Approach

PHL Spotting areas ??
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 03:34:20 PM »
95 Southbound, make a right at Exit 15 (Enterprise Ave) just after the Girard Point Bridge. Follow Enterprise down to where you see the brown Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board building on the right. Make a left there on Hog Island Rd (no signage). Follow Hog Island eastbound along 8-26. You'll go under a bridge and emerge shortly after. Pass the entrance to Historic Ft. Mifflin on the left and continue to the next bend. You'll see some small yellow poles on the left side marking the Delaware and Philadelphia county line. Swing a U-Turn and park on the opposite side of the fence just after the bend straightens out.

If the 9's are in operation continue westbound along Hog Island Rd. Pass the Sunoco fuel farm on the left and the Tower/ PRM/ ASR-9 Radar on the right. Just past UPS there is a S turn, continue past that all the way down till the gates end on the right side. Once again, hook a U-Turn and park on the other side. Beware, there are signs posted for "No Parking". Tinicum Twp PD are the only people that give us a problem since it's in their jurisdiction. Generally they just say move along, nobody has been ticketed down there. You can get a good 20-30 minutes down there. Philly PD will pass you, but never say anything.

There is also another small lot on Hog Island Rd along side to 27L near the Fire Training Center/ UPS (you'll see some burned out fuselages). And the last spot really is the D/E garage. They are rip off's though, it's $3 for an hour.

EJ

Offline Neil

PHL Spotting areas ??
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 03:50:35 PM »
I live near Philly, and always wondered the same thing so thanks for the info...

Makes me nervous though...in this day and age, standing under the low flight path of commercial aircraft...dont want to draw any unnecesary attention1

Offline PHL Approach

PHL Spotting areas ??
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 04:11:24 PM »
My friend Paul is at the airport just about 5 times a week. We know most of the cops and they know about spotters, etc

http://phlairline.com/chatter/index.php - Photo logs of his, I think to see the photos you have to register.

Offline MIAMIATC

PHL Spotting areas ??
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 04:13:12 PM »
Thank You Ed

Offline tk037

PHL Spotting areas ??
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 04:40:22 PM »
Just don't park next the fence. Park on the other side of the road. What's fun is watching the planes land on 9R on with a  heavy cross wind. You can see the plane really rocking as it passes overhead.