airtraffic

Author Topic: procession of some sorts at KPDX today  (Read 12503 times)

Offline ATCfly

procession of some sorts at KPDX today
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »
Ok, Today at about 9:20am, when I was spotting at PDX There was a procession of some sort But there's no Hearst, It was a port of Portland police SUV,  Followed by a sedan type looking car And two black SUVs And then another port of Portland police cars, Both the police cars have their lights going. a little while after that a Pilot asked the Tower or ground What was with the perception, But unfortunately the feed Cut out and i had to restart it, but by the  Time I got the feed back up the conversation was. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about, And if they could find that conversation? By the way this happened on the Concours a b and c side of the airport, And they seem to have came from where the post office is or around there, And about 10, 15 minutes later They went back the way they came.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:02:19 AM by ATCfly »

Offline hawker53

Re: procession of some sorts at KPDX today
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »
Off topic,

In 2000 I was driving past the Salem, OR airport and heard 4 Seattle Center Controllers talking--presumably three from the Horton site and one from Rex Parrett (Radio Reference). Never usually hear that.  Most Centers only use two at most at any one site:  either low/mid-high or mid-high ultra-high, never three.

Even with DECODE, apparently most Centers only have one primary site for a freq.  They may switch, occasionally, for maintenance and transmitter checks, but there is always a fixed primary.  As I learned today in McAlester, OK  even though Radio Reference states that 134.475 is on DECODE there, it isn't.  It lives at Texarkana as the primary spot.  TXK may be the only other that I have heard with low/mid-high/ultra-high located at one rcag; Horton, OR being another.

Thanks for the PDX feed.  Do they still allow joggers along the northern boundary next to PDX?  Bicycles?

Offline tyketto

Re: procession of some sorts at KPDX today
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 01:22:40 PM »
Off topic,

In 2000 I was driving past the Salem, OR airport and heard 4 Seattle Center Controllers talking--presumably three from the Horton site and one from Rex Parrett (Radio Reference). Never usually hear that.  Most Centers only use two at most at any one site:  either low/mid-high or mid-high ultra-high, never three.

Even with DECODE, apparently most Centers only have one primary site for a freq.  They may switch, occasionally, for maintenance and transmitter checks, but there is always a fixed primary.  As I learned today in McAlester, OK  even though Radio Reference states that 134.475 is on DECODE there, it isn't.  It lives at Texarkana as the primary spot.  TXK may be the only other that I have heard with low/mid-high/ultra-high located at one rcag; Horton, OR being another.

Thanks for the PDX feed.  Do they still allow joggers along the northern boundary next to PDX?  Bicycles?

When I was there last, they did, though that was in June. I was staying at a hotel on the other side of the light rail from KPDX and had a perfectly good view of that.

Where is a good place to planespot there? I wouldn't think that the shopping centers further down the street would be a good place to go, but I've only been to that airport twice while heading up to Vancouver or Chehalis.

BL.