airtraffic

Author Topic: OT Man dies from leap from plane  (Read 21207 times)

Offline Robin Rebhan

OT Man dies from leap from plane
« on: June 08, 2008, 01:54:09 PM »
    Interesting article.

Man dies from leap from plane
     http://timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=694514

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
Re: OT Man dies from leap from plane
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:32:16 AM »
A sad story.  I expect the pilot is going to get gigged for this one.  IIRC, the STC for the jump door on a 182 requires that all passengers wear parachutes whenever the door is going to be opened in flight.  Regardless, it's absolutely, insanely stupid that this DZ would allow observers without rigs.  That was a tragedy waiting to happen.  At least it happened to someone who wanted to die instead of some innocent person who was forced to ride it in because they couldn't bail out after a student jumper deployed on the step and took the tail off the airplane. 

Offline rpd

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »
What is an "OT Man"?

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:08:35 PM »
What is an "OT Man"?

OT stands for "Off Topic" or "Off Topic:" and typically is used to indicate that the subject is not directly related to the board's primary topic.

I believe this convention began in USENET where off topic posts left unabated would often result in a newsgroup's demise.  By adding OT to a subject line the poster a) demonstrates that s/he recognizes the primary purpose of the group, and b) provides a way for the group's purists to filter out the topic if they so desire (client-based newsreaders have powerful filtering capabilities but web-based boards normally do not).

edit: grammar
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:10:34 PM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 04:59:11 PM »
KSYR-pyr is right on.

Offline Robin Rebhan

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 06:34:39 PM »
    The Pilot was very lucky that the passenger did not intend on suicide by commandeering the airplane and doing something a whole lot worse.
     In this day in age, not to get proper ID, verify paperwork and establish reasonable legitimacy for flight is a security risk that should not be ignored.
    I think this incident should serve as an example for all pilots the need to excercise reasonable caution when dealing with passengers.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 06:44:42 PM »
     In this day in age, not to get proper ID, verify paperwork and establish reasonable legitimacy for flight is a security risk that should not be ignored.

This is something that is in the back of my mind when flying Angel Flight missions, whereby passengers unknown to me climb on board for a free flight to a far away city for medical or compassion reasons.  Sometimes you have no choice but to have faith in humanity, or faith in probability.

Offline BWilliams

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 04:23:32 PM »
This is something that is in the back of my mind when flying Angel Flight missions, whereby passengers unknown to me climb on board for a free flight to a far away city for medical or compassion reasons.  Sometimes you have no choice but to have faith in humanity, or faith in probability.

Possible dumb question: on a Part 91 flight, are you as a pilot not permitted to carry a weapon into the cockpit? Seems like that would be an easy precaution to take when doing these flights.  Since Part 91's a lot less restrictive then 121/135, I'm not sure if the same security requirements apply.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 10:26:49 PM »
Possible dumb question: on a Part 91 flight, are you as a pilot not permitted to carry a weapon into the cockpit?

Part 91 has no rules prohibited a pilot from carrying a pistol.  Assuming one is licensed by the US state to carry, one can do so in a part 91 aircraft.   I know a few pilots who do, but I don't.

Offline Robin Rebhan

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
I am pro 2ND amendment. But, it is far better to avoid the need for carrying a sidearm. Prevention is the key.
In this case a few people already had bad vibes about the man who jumped from the plane, but, nobody acted upon their feelings. When the passenger fills out the legal forms with a contact person as General "Schwarzenegger" I think there is a screening policy that needs to be reviewed by the Operator & PIC.
Truly this is a passenger that never should have been on or near the aircraft to begin with.
I was in the Army Military Police 3 years on Fort Bragg and in my experience firefights in a confined space just never had a desirable outcome.