airtraffic

Author Topic: Oshkosh 2008  (Read 17607 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Oshkosh 2008
« on: June 22, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »
We now have a permanent feed in Oshkosh, WI - and there will be a temporary feed for the event this year as well.

ATC procedures:
http://www.airventure.org/atc/
NOTAM PDF:
http://www.airventure.org/2008/flying/2008_notam.pdf

Looking for frequency suggestions (how to split the feeds) from those who have been through the drill.

Wish I could attend but will be unable to (again!).  I have never been to Oshkosh...one of these years.

-Dave
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 05:35:32 PM by dave »

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Oshkosh 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
Excellent news, Dave!   Congratulations on landing it.   Absolutely looking forward to this.  Be sure to advertise this feed on the home page in big, bold letters a few weeks before the event.  That should garner some additional traffic.

Take heart in knowing that you are not alone.  I have never been to the event either, despite thinking somehow I could arrange the time to do so.  Maybe we ought to hook up and fly out together some year.

Offline MSN ATC

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 06:14:42 PM »
Here is a screen shot of the frequencies in use during the fly-in.  Typically, (and there is no typical day, I know) runway 27 and runway 36 are in use for landing VFR traffic and both frequencies are the most interesting to listen to. Lots of stuff going on at once!

Offline tyketto

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »
Here is a screen shot of the frequencies in use during the fly-in.  Typically, (and there is no typical day, I know) runway 27 and runway 36 are in use for landing VFR traffic and both frequencies are the most interesting to listen to. Lots of stuff going on at once!

Last year (or was it the year before), they opened up the parallel taxiway to 36 as 36L, didn't they? I can't remember..

Anywho, does the volunteer for the feed (thanks, btw!!) plan to have a booth or something at the show?

BL.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »
No booth at the show...but we are working on getting some flyers out to another show exhibitor to give away.

Dave

Offline Likeakidagain

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »
I have to say thank you to Dave for letting me host the Oshkosh feed, I am really happy to do it, I also have to thank him for his patience with me as I got things together, I will have Oshkosh up all the time along with Appleton and will host some of the EAA frequencies along with coverage that will be provided from EAA, it should be a great opportunity for the people like Dave that don't get a Chance to be there.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
Excellent news, Dave!   Congratulations on landing it.   Absolutely looking forward to this.  Be sure to advertise this feed on the home page in big, bold letters a few weeks before the event.  That should garner some additional traffic.

Take heart in knowing that you are not alone.  I have never been to the event either, despite thinking somehow I could arrange the time to do so.  Maybe we ought to hook up and fly out together some year.

There will be plenty of advance advertisement...on the site and hopefully some other sites.

Sounds like a plan on Oshkosh!

Dave

Offline MSN ATC

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 08:26:37 PM »
Last year (or was it the year before), they opened up the parallel taxiway to 36 as 36L, didn't they? I can't remember..

The parallel taxiways are controlled on the same frequency as the adjacent runway, so no new channel is required here.

Offline cactushp

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 09:07:31 PM »
I'm going to OSH again this year...its going to be a blast!

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
I'm planning on going next year. You probably don't need a booth. If you camp at North 40, you can just have a nice banner and still get some decent traffic. You should also give out flyers to perspective feeders as well as listeners. I'd bet that you guys would be quite popular there.

When I go, the plan is that my family drives with my folks in an RV while my Uncle and I fly there (took quite a bit of convincing for my wife to agree to that). If you guys can make it next year, let me know.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 05:12:35 PM »
I'd really like to go this year, but it doesn't look like I can get the time off work.  I'm taking a week off about two weeks before AirVenture for vacation.  Next year hopefully we can get out there.

Offline BravoLima

• http://www.bruceleibowitz.net
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:28:47 AM »
Is it possible to add Green Bay Departure/Arrival or even Appleton (KATW) to this feed,  or is it out of range of your antenna??  I would love to hear a feed from my airport even though its usually slow!

Offline cactushp

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »
Too far away.

But doesn't ZAU/ZMP have some transmitters at OSH?

Offline RV1

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 06:47:28 PM »
ZAU has been replaced with MKE appch. They will be using 127.0 for 6000 and below and 127.37 for 7000-13000. This is their first EAA, they aren't ready and it will be quite an airshow just for that reason. ZMP has 125.55 at ATW. GRB has 126.3 at ATW and that will be their busiest freq. 

Offline jsmith725

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
I'm probably too late for this suggestion, but it would be really nice to have Fisk Approach (120.7) on a separate feed....... very interesting listening usually!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 06:45:45 AM »
I'm probably too late for this suggestion, but it would be really nice to have Fisk Approach (120.7) on a separate feed....... very interesting listening usually!

The two Oshkosh feeders are sorting through the final frequency list - there are only two feeds so it will be a little bit of a compromise.  But great suggestion - I'll pass it on to them in case they didn't see this.

Dave

Offline ocurry

• Orv's Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 07:58:09 AM »
Airventure is the best!! The controllers that work it are amazing. I used to go every year but I haven't been for the last few couple years and it will be great to hear the feed. Planning to go next year.

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 09:50:07 AM »
How many LiveATCers are going?   Enough to meet up one day?

This'll be my 8th time.  It's been well worth it every year.  :)

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »
If anyone catches excitement on the OSH feed please be sure to post the approximate time and day you heard it.  With this info someone here (myself included) will step up to the plate and make an audio clip out of it.

Not ever having been, when is the busiest arrival times into OSH?  The first Sunday it opens?

Offline cactushp

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »

Approach is too far away probably to be recieved.

Not ever having been, when is the busiest arrival times into OSH?  The first Sunday it opens?

Maybe, but it is all VERY busy all the time.

Offline RV1

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »
KSYR-pjr,

Usually Friday afternoon and Saturday all day prior to the first day are the busiest. Most want to get there, get set up, and then enjoy.