airtraffic

Author Topic: Operation Rain Check dead? Bummer.  (Read 10732 times)

Offline Unbeliever

Operation Rain Check dead? Bummer.
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:36:41 PM »
I'm an instrument student now, and I decided that at this stage in my training, It would be informative to visit a TRACON for scope watching and familiarization.  So I phone up SoCal TRACON, my local TRACON, and they tell me that RainCheck is dead "For Security Reasons."

Bummer.  From what I've read, the RainCheck visits were a good eye-opener for pilots. 

I've already visited a couple of local towers, but they only get the tail end of things.

--Carlos V.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Operation Rain Check dead? Bummer.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:26:55 PM »
Perhaps locally it is dead but not US-wide and I question whether it truly security or some other reason.  I have been visiting our local class C facility every couple of years since 9/11 with no problems. 

Too bad nonetheless since that is the perfect opportunity for you to see life on the chair side of the scope and to ask any question related to flying in their airspace. 

Offline cactushp

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:19:42 PM »
Give SAN tower a call. They will be glad to get you a tour - only if you ask really nicely.

Offline moto400ex

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 08:45:19 PM »
Well heres a taste of what you can expect to see in any tracon.

Or you may run into something like this.

Neither of the videos are mine just found them on youtube. :-P
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:55:44 PM by moto400ex »

Offline moto400ex

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:50:29 PM »
Another really good look into a facility in this video here.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:53:34 AM »
I'm an instrument student now, and I decided that at this stage in my training, It would be informative to visit a TRACON for scope watching and familiarization.  So I phone up SoCal TRACON, my local TRACON, and they tell me that RainCheck is dead "For Security Reasons."

Bummer.  From what I've read, the RainCheck visits were a good eye-opener for pilots. 

I've already visited a couple of local towers, but they only get the tail end of things.

--Carlos V.

I can guarantee you that Operation RainCheck is not dead, and honestly, SCT fed you a line of BS.

I was given the same line when I called LAS Tower for a tour, and they said worse; Operation RainCheck doesn't exist. Yet calling OMA Tower, I got in, as well as R90 TRACON, which is at Offutt AFB, and STRATCOM Headquarters!

On top of that, I was able to get a tour of NorCal TRACON through Operation RainCheck a little over a year ago! So Honestly, I don't know why SCT or LAS are telling people that; I've even had friends tour LAX tower!

Why they say that is beyond me. Perhaps a call to the ATM at SCT, or even inquiry at ZLA may be in order?

BL.

Offline cactushp

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 01:18:08 AM »
Especially since Carlos is an instrument student. Usually most facilities (at least what they say) are more open to student pilots than non - student pilots. What a bunch of baloney if the only reason was "security reasons."

Offline Unbeliever

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 02:58:27 AM »
According to others on the AOPA forums, RainCheck at SCT is pretty much un-revivable.  Apparently a few of the 9/11 hijackers that trained at MYF took a RainCheck tour and asked all sorts of questions like "Can you still track aircraft with the transponder off?"

I didn't mention that I'm about to get a brand-spanking new PIV-II badge. (Government employee/contractor ID badge)  The same badge they wear, and I'm currently holding a One-NASA ID badge.

My instrument ground instructor suggested I go North instead and try ZLA instead.

--Carlos V.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »
According to others on the AOPA forums, RainCheck at SCT is pretty much un-revivable.  Apparently a few of the 9/11 hijackers that trained at MYF took a RainCheck tour and asked all sorts of questions like "Can you still track aircraft with the transponder off?"

I didn't mention that I'm about to get a brand-spanking new PIV-II badge. (Government employee/contractor ID badge)  The same badge they wear, and I'm currently holding a One-NASA ID badge.

My instrument ground instructor suggested I go North instead and try ZLA instead.

--Carlos V.

ZLA you should be able to tour. I've had a couple of friends tour there a number of times; two of those friends becoming employees there. I'd suggest there or LAX Tower.

I wonder if the same happened at L30...

BL.

Offline rpd

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 11:35:30 PM »
I think it is up to each facilities manager to decide.  This may be a shock, but many FAA managers are jerks.  And are too scared to make any decisions.  It is easier for some of these fools to just say no to a tour, than to check the regs and do the legwork to approve it.

At PCT (Potomac TRACON) they have 2 Rain Checks a year.  They take reservations for something like 200-300 pilots at each one.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 02:20:27 AM »
I think it is up to each facilities manager to decide.  This may be a shock, but many FAA managers are jerks.  And are too scared to make any decisions.  It is easier for some of these fools to just say no to a tour, than to check the regs and do the legwork to approve it.

At PCT (Potomac TRACON) they have 2 Rain Checks a year.  They take reservations for something like 200-300 pilots at each one.

200 - 300 pilots? Impressive!  :-o

I wish there were a way to call the managers out on this, because it does show a lack of consistency among the facilities. I mean, if 2 combined TRACONs can handle tours under the Operation, and 2 others say that it (Operation Rain Check) doesn't exist, and another says that it's gone for security reasons, where is the consistency in the facilities we're paying to maintain? I'm not meaning to stand on a soapbox, but there it is, and it's rather unfortunate that we have to deal with that..

BL.