Author Topic: Reported crash landing at KFRG Republic. No injuries.  (Read 4499 times)

Offline onesierrawhiskey

Reported crash landing at KFRG Republic. No injuries.
« on: May 20, 2010, 02:32:46 PM »
Within the past ten [Edit: make that thirty from time of this original post] minutes there was a reported Cessna (unknown type) crash landing. No injuries. Checking the feeds now. Around 1:45pm local time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:50:24 PM by onesierrawhiskey »

Offline VampyreGTX

• The Aspiring Pilot
Re: Reported crash landing at KFRG Republic. No injuries.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 05:11:25 PM »
Found the audio on both Tower and Ground.  Couldn't make out too much and not really anything interesting on the feeds.  Nothing that identified what actually happened.  Sounds like the crash happened at an intersection.  One plane involved was able to taxi off and get to the ramp (a Cessna 172).  There was debris on the runway so the airport was closed for a bit.  There was some confusion and almost sound like a disabled aircraft was mentioned as well.  About a minute before, a cirrus was cleared to land and I never heard him again, on either tower or ground.  Makes me almost suspect it was a collision between the Cessna and the Cirrus at the intersection.  We'll see.  I'll try and splice the tower and ground comms together tonight and maybe someone else can figure out what happened.  

***EDIT - listened to it again and sounds like the Cessna wasn't actually involved, was just holding short and was almost struck by the other aircraft.  very little about the actual incident and nothing from the plane involved at all.  Not sure if it's worth taking the time to process the audio.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:18:54 PM by VampyreGTX »

Offline onesierrawhiskey

Re: Reported crash landing at KFRG Republic. No injuries.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:41:43 PM »
Yeah, for what its worth, this might have been a "non-event" event. Part of the risk when getting unconfirmed reports is severity of the incident is a wildcard. Thanks for taking the time to help me solve what happened. It sound like at the intersection a plane exited and left debris on the runway, whether or not it was a hard landing due to an IFE or fender bender at the intersection will be interesting to hear.