Author Topic: Observation Areas  (Read 8519 times)

Offline senduhelp

Observation Areas
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:50:10 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if any of the following airports have observation areas that are outside of the airport:  KBWI, KMDT, KDCA

Thanks for any help.

Offline KMSY

Re: Observation Areas
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:45:59 PM »
Not sure about this, and I don't live near any but looked around on GoogleEarth and it seems south of DCA there is a large parkinglot near Daingerfield Island and to the north there is also a parking lot, both at boat launches very close to the airport, but not on the property. Like I said, I'm not too sure about this.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 03:07:17 PM »
The DCA observation area is currently closed or was last March when I was there last.  I believe it was closed post-9/11 and will continue to stay closed unfortunately.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 10:24:54 PM »
What about JFK? If so, where is it located  :-D :-D

Offline jamall02864

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 10:53:15 PM »
well i might as well ask    i'm omost posoitive that its a no but anyone know about  Kbos  or Kpvd  and if not any one know of good spoting places at theses air ports   thanks guys               

-- Greg

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 11:37:15 PM »
There is a widely used observation area at FLL. BWI's is still open. The area down where KMSY is talking about is a Employee parking lot/ Mount Vernon Park. The main spot is to the north known at Gravelly Point Park. It's just a spot. There is no "observation" area at DCA, nor has has there ever been.

Offline KMSY

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 11:48:57 PM »
I've never actually heard or seen a designated observation area at an airport (not associated with the terminal) other than DFW's Founder's Plaza. But I assume those parking lots are great for watching from?

BTW, I'm listening to my MSY traffic right now (also BTW, a KMSY feed (twr/gnd/del) will hopefully be up soon) and tower (119.5) is covering app/dep. "Southwest ####, New Orleans Approach, DM 2000, enter localizer 28, once established, Cleared to Land 28 winds calm." Does this happen often? Just a quick question.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 11:56:28 PM by KMSY »

Offline KMSY

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 12:04:36 AM »
well i might as well ask    i'm omost posoitive that its a no but anyone know about  Kbos  or Kpvd  and if not any one know of good spoting places at theses air ports   thanks guys               

-- Greg

"For traffic departing or approaching 4R/22L or 4L/22R, go to Castle Island in South Boston. Take Broadway all the way to the end (you'll hit water), then turn left and go all the way to the fort, park, get a dog or two from Sullivan's (seasonally open), and enjoy both the airliners going overhead as well as the boats passing by."
-from Guide to Planespotting (planespotting.com)

-very easy to find on GE.

And as for PVD, it looks like there's a playground to the south, maybe 200 yards to the south of 5R.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 12:06:44 AM by KMSY »

Offline ogogog

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 12:56:02 AM »
I've never actually heard or seen a designated observation area at an airport (not associated with the terminal) other than DFW's Founder's Plaza. But I assume those parking lots are great for watching from?

BTW, I'm listening to my MSY traffic right now (also BTW, a KMSY feed (twr/gnd/del) will hopefully be up soon) and tower (119.5) is covering app/dep. "Southwest ####, New Orleans Approach, DM 2000, enter localizer 28, once established, Cleared to Land 28 winds calm." Does this happen often? Just a quick question.

maybe the guy in the tracon had to go the can?

og/atcs
c90

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 08:19:55 AM »
There is no "observation" area at DCA, nor has has there ever been.

...you mean the one off the exibit hall is gone?  It was there March 05' when I went to DCA.  I remember I looked through the exibit when I was there and ended up watching planes with my scanner inside a terminal building with large glass windows since the observation deck was closed off.

Since it is closed indefinitely now, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority says that the place to watch planes come and go is "an observation point at Gravelly Point Park, a public park located off of the George Washington Parkway near the north end of the main runway. Potowmack Landing Restaurant on Daingerfield Island at the Washington Sailing Marina offers views from the south end of the airport. Take the George Washington Memorial Parkway south for one mile to the Washington Sailing Marina exit."

Regards,
Jason
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:25:31 AM by Jason »