airtraffic

Author Topic: Oakland Center Sector 33 132.05  (Read 3703 times)

Offline A330jfk

Oakland Center Sector 33 132.05
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »
Hello all,  Does anyone know if LiveATC has a "channel" for Oakland Center freq 132.05?  I tried a couple of forum searches using terms such as "Oakland Center Sector 33 132.05" and "Oakland Center 132.05" but there were no results.  When listening to aircraft leaving the Bay Area for points east, I often hear the controller working 135.1 tell an aircraft "Contact Oakland Center on 132.05 now."  But I can't figure out where (which channel) on LiveATC to find Oakland Center 132.05.

On a related note, does anyone know which controlling entity comes *immediately* after 132.05 for airliners flying east?  Maybe Salt Lake Center?  If so, which one?  I don't think it's Denver Center, as I have been able to re-acquire specific flights on Denver Center South, but not for at least 90 minutes, sometimes longer, after having lost the flight when they were told to contact Oakland Center on 132.05.  So, in other words, at least from my perspective, there seems to be a "sector gap" (#33, 132.05) for Oakland Center on LiveATC.  I realize they can't possibly cover *every single frequency*  on the aviation band, so perhaps this sector is one of those that just didn't get picked up earlier on.  Sorry for the ramble.

Offline wiedehopf

Re: Oakland Center Sector 33 132.05
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »
there is a frequency search directly below the airport code search on the main liveatc.net page.

also you can search for ZOA or ZBW in the airport code box.

regarding where the airplanes go frequency wise i don't know i mostly listen to boston center or nyc tracon or jfk.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
Does anyone know if LiveATC has a "channel" for Oakland Center freq 132.05?

132.05 is not covered by LiveATC (AFAIK).

does anyone know which controlling entity comes *immediately* after 132.05 for airliners flying east?  Maybe Salt Lake Center?

Yes, eastbound from 132.050 the hand off is to Salt Lake City. Routing via Q126,Q128/130 or MVA on J48 the hand off is to Salt Lake Sector 47, 133.45, FL350 and below or Sector 45, 134.52, FL360 and above. For traffic routing via MVA on J56 or J158 the handoff would be to Salt Lake Sector 43, 132.25 (or to Sector 42, 128.72, FL350 and above, in the rare times they need to use it). None of these Salt Lake frequencies are covered on LiveATC (AFAIK).

During the night shift (after around 0700 UTC) 132.05 is combined into the sectors that you can hear the controller on the LiveATC ZOA 32-43-44 feed, so you can hear the handoff to Salt Lake. The last time I checked during the night shift Salt Lake combined their western sectors in that area to 127.92. Try following the red-eye departure bank out of SFO that departs between 23:00-00:00 PST (08:00-09:00 UTC), and you will hear these handoffs to Salt Lake.

JS

Offline A330jfk

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
Many thanks to JetScan1!  :-)  Lots of useful information there; not just in terms of frequencies, but FL's, sectors, airways, Jetroutes and even the times of day (or night.)  Really comes in handy when following flights not only on LiveATC, but on sites such as Skyvector and FlightRadar24 as well.  I will take you up on your suggestion over the next few nights and listen to the SFO red eyes leaving between 23:00-00:00 PST.

Your explanation of the Salt Lake Center frequencies also answered my question as to why I "lose contact" with flights for a couple of hours until some of them pop up again on Denver Center (High South) High and Ultra-High FL's.  You must be a hard-core aviation-comm listener to know all of this.

Do you ever listen to some of the trans-oceanic stuff on HF?  Surprised by how busy some of those channels are, depending on the time of day.   But maybe this is for another topic/thread.

Thanks again JetScan1.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »
A330jfk,

I will take you up on your suggestion over the next few nights and listen to the SFO red eyes leaving between 23:00-00:00 PST.

I find the best way to check these things quickly is to download the applicable LiveATC file the off the archives and then using an audio editor like Audacity you can easily truncate out the silence and listen to continuous transmissions over the selected time period. (The "Playback" feature on Flightradar24 is handy for this too).

http://www.audacityteam.org/

Your explanation of the Salt Lake Center frequencies also answered my question as to why I "lose contact" with flights for a couple of hours until some of them pop up again on Denver Center (High South) High and Ultra-High FL's.

If you didn't know about it already, while 134.525/133.450 are not covered on LiveATC there is good coverage of the next adjacent Salt Lake sectors bordering to the east/northeast that can be heard on the "ZLC Salt Lake Center (SLC) #2" feed. This fills in the gap between Salt Lake and Denver for traffic routing via Q126 and vicinity, busy routes from the Bay area to the northeast. I've put together a sector chart that will make it a lot clearer, I'll post it here later when I have more time.

Do you ever listen to some of the trans-oceanic stuff on HF?

I'm very familiar, and do listen to these frequencies from time to time.

You must be a hard-core aviation-comm listener to know all of this.

Excessive compulsive aviation monitoring disorder (ECAMD ?), not sure if there is a cure but LiveATC is not helping. LOL.

JS