airtraffic

Author Topic: Ever gonna have Van Nuys....again?  (Read 8123 times)

Offline Hurlysurfr18

Ever gonna have Van Nuys....again?
« on: February 14, 2008, 01:04:48 AM »
Hey guys,

I don't know if you remember, but I think like last year the Burbank feed sometimes covered Van Nuys Airport.  I really enjoyed listening to the busiest general aviation airport in the world, and was really disappointed when there was no more feed for it, just Burbank.

Is there ever gonna be a VNY feed?

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Ever gonna have Van Nuys....again?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:15:53 PM »
That depends.... know anyone willing to host the feed?

98% of the feeds you see listed here are done so by volunteers, not by the site founder.   Thus, the fastest way to get your favorite feed listed here is to locate a local volunteer to host it.  Print off one of the two LiveATC posters you see at the top of this forum and post them around your desired airport's FBO.  Hopefully a volunteer will read it and step forward to offer to help.

Offline Unbeliever

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:49:19 PM »
The feeder for BUR put VNY on his scanner for a while, but it got too crowded on the scanner.

The feeder (Areeda, who happens to be my CFII, but not for much longer *grin*) now has a second scanner and equipment for the express purpose of feeding VNY.  He hasn't gotten around to setting it up yet.

--Carlos V.
KEMT feeder

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:31:01 PM »
Joe sent me a private message today on the AOPA forums where he is a bit more active.  He is planning on purchasing a Stridsberg multicoupler shortly which will allow him to use a separate receiver for VNY.

Jason

Offline areeda

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:22:25 AM »
I am ready for a second feed now.

But I'm debating what to do with it.  

• I know there's a lot of interest for KVNY.  One option is VNY towers, ground and clearance deliver
  • I have also been testing the SoCal Tracon frequencies in the area (135.05, 124.60, 125.50, 134.20) and Los Angeles Center (125.80) and these come in pretty good.  This would probably be more useful to my private and instrument students
  • I could do some combination.  Have KVNY + a SoCal freq and KBUR + a different SoCal but when it's busy it might be way too much congestion

What do you think?

Joe

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 10:09:12 PM »
I'm a radar kinda guy. So I would be for those SCT and ZLA sectors.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 01:18:29 PM »
  • I know there's a lot of interest for KVNY.  One option is VNY towers, ground and clearance deliver
  • I have also been testing the SoCal Tracon frequencies in the area (135.05, 124.60, 125.50, 134.20) and Los Angeles Center (125.80) and these come in pretty good.  This would probably be more useful to my private and instrument students
  • I could do some combination.  Have KVNY + a SoCal freq and KBUR + a different SoCal but when it's busy it might be way too much congestion

In my opinion I prefer never to combine a clearance delivery with tower and ground, since CD will dominate the feed and prevent much of the activity of the other frequencies from reaching the LiveATC outbound feed.   Additionally, after a period of time in listening to it CD activity becomes somewhat monotonous.

For instrument CD training, someone else here suggested a month or two ago to switch the feed to a CD-only freq for three hours or so, and then edit the archive (of silent spots) and post it to the audio forum here.   This clip can then be downloaded by instrument students looking for CD copying training.

My second opinion is to not load up a feed with too many frequencies (as pointed out in your third bullet) since that will make it all but impossible to follow any of the activity past one ATC/pilot exchange. 

So, this leaves a tower/ground/(maybe approach) feed or a SoCal feed.   Personally I lean more to the approach/tower combined feeds because of the varied scenarios.  FWIW...

Offline areeda

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 02:29:09 AM »
Thanks for comments PHL and Peter.

I do like the idea of Clrnc Del only for a few hours.  I'll probably do that the next IFR morning.  I might do the same thing with ground and make up  some audio training collections.

Both of these airports can get busy at times and are fed by the same 3 or 4 SoCal sectors. 

Jason email and expressed a preference for VNY tower, and I really want some TRACON frequencies.  So I'm leaning toward tower and SoCal for both.

Joe