Author Topic: Normal??  (Read 12327 times)

Offline Livin_Legend01

Normal??
« on: February 16, 2005, 09:05:40 PM »
Hey fellas,
I was just curious if it's normal that let's say tower is talkin to a pilot, and tells the pilot a radio frequency, let's say 128.343 ..but he says it so quick..and all pilots and tower people talk quick like that. I'm just wondering if it's normal that I can't fully understand the first try what they say... I would have to jot them down or ask them to say again. Does it take practice to "talk their language"? hahaha

Offline nolzjx01

Normal??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 11:39:20 PM »
you'll get an ear for it after a while.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Normal??
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 06:55:46 AM »
Its a pilot dilect of the English language in a way.  Us pilots say what we want to say in as little words as possible.  If we keep our "uhhhs" and "oh, right..." out of our radio calls then it will clear up the frequency and shows respect for the controller.

Offline PHL Approach

Normal??
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 07:19:01 AM »
Two of the best words that could describe how Pilots and Controllers learn to talk on the comms, Clarity and Brevity. Keep it clear of what you want and keep the transmission brief.

Offline Livin_Legend01

Normal??
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 10:58:57 PM »
Cool stuff!  So after listening to the chatter for some time you get used to it and can understand who is saying what huh? Cool

Offline C172SP

Normal??
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 03:51:58 PM »
Another important concept besides clarity and brevity is "standard phraseology." Pilots and controllers anticipate the expected exchanges and try to use consistent terms so that even if they don't hear a few words, they still know what they would've been saying.

Speaking of phraseology - when it's quiet, you'll often hear more casual ATC conversation. But when it's very busy you're likely to hear everyone "stick to the script."

If you're really interested in what it is they're saying and what it means, check out the Pilot/Controller Glossary in the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) which is online in many places. That book is also a useful treatment for insomnia. :)

In any case, the others are right. You'll start hearing the same things over and over, and you'll soon be able to piece together what they're saying.

Offline Rob

Normal??
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 04:59:45 AM »
When i went on my work epiernece i did not even catch the breath they spoke never mind the words. However i suppose it comes in time. Well hope i dones any way!

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Normal??
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 10:46:55 PM »
I hear one specific controller out of Toronto center for northern Ontario's air space who sounds like he's breathing on the mic.  Our FSS guy had to call Toronto center via hotline to clarify the unaudible clearance.

Offline mstram

Normal??
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 11:11:33 PM »
As others have mentioned after you listen for a while you'l'll hear the same things repeated and that will make it easier.

But  some controllers do talk at the stereotypical atc machine gun speed :)

Which ATC area have you been listening to?

Have you tried Toronto (CYYZ Pearson) ?      The controllers there all speak at a normal conversational pace.   In fact, one controller, who I believe has recently retiired, was nicknamed "Roj".  He had a mild French accent, and he spoke *very* slowly, like he had all the time in the world, even when things where busy.

Stereotypical ATC -     Airliner123TurnLeftHeading030Maintain3000ClearedForILSZeroSixLeftContactTowerAtTheMarker

Roj  - Airliner 123 ....... Turn  Left .....Zero ..Three ..Zero ..... Maintain 3000 ....................... You are cleared for the ILS  for runway six left ....  contact the tower at the marker ... one . one .. eight .. point  . three .. five

Mike

Offline Lexxx

• http://www.ykf.ca
Normal??
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 11:11:34 AM »
Good chance Roj is short for Roger (transmission received and understood)

Just a thought

Offline mstram

Normal??
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 07:16:11 PM »
Quote from: Lexxx
Good chance Roj is short for Roger (transmission received and understood)

Just a thought

Oh, for sure !

He confirmed  *every* readback  with "roj" :)

So pilots started calling him Roj :)

Mike