Author Topic: Newbie tips & Passur question  (Read 14330 times)

Offline the_great_unknown

Newbie tips & Passur question
« on: February 22, 2005, 11:27:18 AM »
Hey all...

First of all, great site!  I'm finding myself hopelessly addicted to the Cincinnati feed (I used to live there, so it gets emotional! :D ).  Anyway, just a couple of quick questions...

1.  As a newbie, what can I do to become more involved in all this?  Like, how can I listen more and stuff?
2.  RE Passur.  I keep reading that people are watching a radar on this site, but when I visit, I can find nothing of the sort - am I doing something wrong?!

Thanks all, I look forward to reading the replies!

the_great_unknown

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 12:17:54 PM »
http://www.passur.com/sites.htm

There are a few that aren't listed on there such as Louisville (SDF) and Las Vegas (LAS).  Once you get one of them running, just replace the airport code with those in the url and it should take you to the respective site.  Enjoy!

Matt

Offline the_great_unknown

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 05:18:32 PM »
Thanks Matt...

I can't seem to get any of the links to work - they load up, but when I select start it says Error on Page...hmmm...maybe its just me?  Any suggestions?! :oops:

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 07:37:46 PM »
You may need to get Flash if you don't have it...that's all I can think of off hand.

Matt

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 07:44:46 PM »
Quote from: IndyTower
You may need to get Flash if you don't have it...that's all I can think of off hand.

Matt

No, you need to have Java.   You can grab Java from Sun:

http://java.sun.com

Get the JRE from:

http://dlc.sun.com/jdk/j2re-1_4_2_07-windows-i586-p.exe

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 11:15:11 AM »
Thanks for the correction Dave...should have known that...don't know what I was thinking.

Also, the San Francisco Noise Abatement Office runs something similar to the Passur devices.  It used to be delayed by 5 minutes, but it appears that it's now 10.  However, it's still very interesting to watch due to the complexity of the airspace in the bay area and due to the operating procedures used at SFO...ie arriving parallel runways and departing off two perpendiculars.  

The website for that is www.flyquietsfo.com/live

It also helps to listen to the Norcal Approach/Oakland Center feed under Class D/Center feeds and Norcal Approach feed under Class B feeds.  These give you a good idea of what's goin on.  I believe there may be some arriving/departing traffic on the Stockton feed also...haven't listened to it in a while so I'm not sure.

Enjoy!

Matt