Author Topic: Newark feed coming soon, I hope  (Read 26250 times)

Offline JohnM

Newark feed coming soon, I hope
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2005, 04:28:20 PM »
OK - I may be able to help here. I think I've got all I need and I checked the FAQs.

I'm going to be using a handheld hooked up to a Scantenna from Antennacraft (got this out of the FAQs). The handheld isn't anything special but should work - it's an Alinco DJ-X3. I'll be mounting the antenna on the side of the house, fiarly high up.

My location is in Clifton NJ which puts me closer to EWR than anybody else I believe. I'm not that into the radio setup side but I listen as I'm a pilot flying out of CDW. Will I be wasting my time trying to get EWR?

I have the rest of the stuff to enable a feed....

The antenna isn't due to arrive until next week so I have a couple of days to ponder the setup.

John.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2005, 07:18:35 PM »
It's always worth a shot. Looks like your just inside the "sweet point" for receiving an airport. Which in my experience while driving and scanning is about 8 miles. Though I think there are various problems picking up EWR transmitters. Bad location is one I guess. PHL is the absolute same way. I would really love a clear EWR feed :)

Offline cal737pilot

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2005, 10:45:05 PM »
I think it's great that you are trying to get a EWR feed up and running, however, it's a going to be tough.

I'm a pilot for CAL and based in EWR.  Often on the SHAFF arrival which  runs along V213 north of the SAX VOR, we are expected to cross 25nm north of SAX at 7000 feet as we track south-bound towards the SAX VOR.  That way we stay below the LGA and EWR departures over the GAYEL intersection.  

Often, after being handed off by BOS Center, between that 25nm fix and the SAX VOR, we (at 7000 feet) often have a hard time receiving New York APP on 120.15.  The reason for this is that the transmitter/receiver is located near the TRACON facility in Long Island.  :shock: A controller told me one time after I mentioned the problem is that the FAA has had plans on moving the site to a better location.  This plan has been in the works for years...

Unless there is someone who lives near the transmitters, a NYC APP link is only going to be receiving the pilots TX's.