airtraffic

Author Topic: New Zealand Feeds ??  (Read 6169 times)

Offline SRHNZ

New Zealand Feeds ??
« on: June 13, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
Hi All

Have noticed recently that the NZ based feeds have all been removed

Presume the authorities didn't like it

Shame  as I found them interesting to listen too

Regards
Simon
Levin NZ

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: New Zealand Feeds ??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 07:24:42 PM »
You presume correctly.  :(

Offline coolian2

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:10:56 AM »
Back to using my handheld scanner then.

Offline planehead8226

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 01:46:49 AM »
Hi KSYR-pjr,

what information do you have that explains your statement. I would like to know what law in NZ dictates all NZ feeds being removed from interent??

thankyou

Offline The Hoffspatcher

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 06:47:18 AM »
I dug up the following ...

While it is not illegal to monitor communications in New Zealand, you are in breach of the Radiocommunications Act(s) and Regulation(s) and or the Telecommunications Act(s) and Regulation(s) and or the Crimes Act(s) and Regulation(s) [and all amendments to those Acts and Regulations], if you disclose to a third party, act upon, or use for personal gain, any information contained in a non-public broadcast radio transmission.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:00:06 AM »
what information do you have that explains your statement. I would like to know what law in NZ dictates all NZ feeds being removed from interent??

Without meaning to go against the LiveATC.net founder's wishes by making a big public issue out of this, I will only offer up that this site recently received a cease and desist email from a patsy in an NZ authority position who stated that rebroadcasting ATC communications is in violation of the "Radiocommunications Act of 1989."  As with UK feeds, Dave made the commendable decision to cooperate even though he is in no way bound by NZ law.

For your education you can go to the NZ legislation site here and read up on this legislation yourself.  Other than to direct you to the left hand side of that page and click the "R" section to locate this "Radiocommunications Act of 1989" subsection, I haven't taken the time to read that site so I can't assist you further.

Gather up your friends and neighbors and start a movement to repeal this law in your country. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 11:01:50 AM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 10:17:25 PM »
Everything KSYR-pjr stated is correct.

It's a rather unfortunate turn of events but I do have a personal policy of avoiding conflicts with the typically unenlightened authorities in the countries with these prohibitions.

The particular person who communicated with me actually has no authority at all, but loves to pretend that he does.  :-)    He's also an Air Traffic Controller and a self-righteous, budding bureaucrat.  More power to him - he's joined the list of people who have succeeded in incrementally making the world a less better place.  Life goes on.  I'm sure his mother is quite proud.  :-)

End of story for now.

Dave

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
An here is the document spelling out the law - see attached.