airtraffic

Author Topic: New York Approach frequencies (KJFK)  (Read 23446 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
New York Approach frequencies (KJFK)
« on: May 19, 2006, 07:23:18 AM »
I am looking for the authoritative list of N90 (NY Approach) frequencies for JFK.  We have an opportunity to set up a couple of sites with Approach frequencies in the JFK area.  Airnav reports:

NEW YORK APPROACH:    127.4 109.5T 118.4 123.7 126.8 132.4 134.35
NEW YORK DEPARTURE:    135.9 123.7 124.75 134.35
CLASS B:    125.25(2000 OR BLO PRIOR TO 8 NM)

Would someone in the know please comment as follows:

1) elaborate on the sectorization/frequencies
2) if you had two sites and a receiver or two at each site, how would you split the frequencies?

No guessing and random speculation please...looking for people who actually know.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline avbuff58

Re: New York Approach frequencies (KJFK)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 08:04:17 AM »
dave, one of the major app. freq. is 125.7 handles app. from the east. 18.4 -32.4 are final app. freq. for pm. rush. to the best ofmy knowledge 126.8is dep. freq.going north/northeast toward greki or merit ,another dep. freq is nycenter128.3 going to shipp or wavvynot sure if you will be able yo pick it up though. as far as splitting freq.; 125.7;127.4;132.4;118.4 forapp. depfreq.135.9 is primarywhich thengoes to either 124..75 forsouthwest toward robbinsville or 26.8 or28.3 sometimes they will use 124.95 instead of 26.8    hope this helps lovvvvve the site

Offline Darrell

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 09:54:05 AM »
Dave,

Not sure if this will help but here is a link that list all the frequencis for JFK
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&aid=1171
I have found this site has more listings then Airnav.

Darrell

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 10:43:52 AM »
Dave,

Not sure if this will help but here is a link that list all the frequencis for JFK
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&aid=1171
I have found this site has more listings then Airnav.

Darrell

That actually lists fewer frequencies than Airnav.  :-)  At least for JFK.
I have some other references...just need to dig them up.  I'm being lazy.

Dave

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 01:00:49 PM »
Here are all the JFK frequencies and sectors that I know:

Departure - 135.9

ROBER - 125.7 (Handles most of the JFK arrivals from the east and hands off to CAMRN, which is a real busy sector)

CAMRN - 127.4 (Accepts handoffs from ROBER and does the initial approach sequencing and vectors.  Hands off to Final.)

Final - 132.4 (Issues final vectors onto the approach into JFK.)

ROBER Satellite - 118.4

If it were my decision, I'd like to see the frequencies split in the following manner:
1) ROBER (125.7) and CAMRN (127.4)
2) Departure (135.9) and Final (132.4) ...if the feed is not so busy, throw in ROBER Satellite  Liberty Departure East would also be a good frequency to have although it is not in the JFK area of the TRACON.  Departure directly hands off to them on 126.8 for aircraft going northeast and east. 124.75 which someone mentioned earlier is Liberty Departure South; for aircraft going south before they get the handoff to ZNY.

Some of the freqs Airnav uses I have never heard of, but may be used.  I can double check with my N90 contact when I get in touch with him next.  Also note that JFK will be adding PRM operations to the mix (The consoles are installed and monitors are being installed) so that may be something to consider in the future.

Feel free to ask any questions.  If I can't answer the question, I will get an answer from a controller at N90.

Jason
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 01:06:11 PM by Jason »

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 04:24:43 PM »
...oh by the way: Here's the Kennedy area layout in N90 if you were wondering:

It has some frequencies in there as well.  The only significant change from that graphic is that PRM consoles were added to the left of JFK SAT.  And that the SEALL sector controller from the Islip area is usually next to LGA DEPT in the LGA area.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 06:19:40 PM by Jason »

Offline znymz

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 03:26:41 PM »
FYI, 128.3 is a NY Center freq, not NY Approach.

Offline jeffh

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:23:23 PM »
I live under the 22L approach course for Kennedy and practically all of my scanning is Kennedy Approach.  Pretty much all of what Jason said is accurate however, with the wisdom of scanning these frequencies for the past five years I would just like to clarify a few things.  First, the relevant frequencies for JFK Approach, starting with the most relevant are 125.7, 127.4, 132.4, 118.4 and in a distant fifth 134.35.  On the departure side, 135.9 is the only real JFK departure frequency.  As compared to the AirNav listing, 125.7 is a glaring omission, while 127.3 is LaGuardia approach and 126.8 is a Liberty departure sector.
To elaborate on the sectorization and frequencies:

125.7 is the base frequency for JFK app. and dep.  It is the only frequency which is operational 24 hours a day.  From roughly 11pm to 6am or 7am it does everything for JFK and also for nearby FRG.  It handles all arrivals from all three fixes:  ROBER, CAMRN and LENDY along with all departures.  When traffic begins to pick up in the morning the workload is gradually divided up. 

First, 135.9 begins to handle all departures. 

Secondly, 127.4 enters the mix.  How the approach workload is divided between 125.7 and 127.4 depends on the runway configuration:
1)  When the 22's or 31's are in use 125.7 is the "final" sector (the sector that hands out approach clearances) and also handles ROBER arrivals from start to finish.  127.4 handles CAMRN and LENDY arrivals and hands them off to 125.7 for final vectoring. 
2) When the 13's and 4's are in use 127.4 is the "final" sector and handles CAMRN arrivals from start to finish.  125.7 hands off ROBER and LENDY arrivals to 127.4.

When traffic becomes too much for 2 controllers to handle, 132.4 enters the mix acting as the "final" sector with 125.7 and 127.4 feeding the arrivals into it.  Note that this is only from 1pm-9pm at most.

118.4 is rarely used but also has a variety of uses.  Sometimes it simply subs in for one of the frequencies, taking over all its functions and following the same rules above.  Other times it can even become a second "final" sector.  This happens on a busy afternoon when the VOR 13's are in use with the VOR/DME 22L.  In this case 132.4 would usually be the final freq for the 13's and 118.4 the final freq for 22L, although I have seen the opposite be true as well. 

The only reason I included 134.35 on the list is because a handful of times in the last 5 years I've seen it take over for 125.7, once again performing all the same functions, just on another frequency. 

If it were up to me, I would dedicate one feed to 125.7.  In fact, my scanner usually stays locked on this frequency.  It can get quiet during the afternoon/early evening with all the other frequencies going but there is always the Republic arrivals and departures to keep it interesting.  Personally, some of the most exciting scanning is around 11pm and 5-6am when this frequency is working everything and there is still a moderate amount of traffic.  It’s hard for anyone to get a word in.  The best thing about this frequency is that it offers at the very least a little of everything and you'll almost never hear a controller without a pilot response, which is one of my pet peeves.
I suppose the ideal situation would be with 2 sites each with 2 receivers and each receiver dedicated to one frequency: 125.7, 127.4, 132.4 and 135.9.  118.4 could be tacked on to one of these but is probably not necessary, and don't even bother with 134.35.  Keep in mind when pairing up frequencies that when not in use the controller is still broadcast on most of these frequencies.
Hope this helps, sorry if it's too much but I had to jump at the opportunity to put this seemingly useless knowledge I've acquired over the years to good use. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 01:45:13 AM by jeffh »

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 08:08:43 AM »
The best thing about this frequency is that it offers at the very least a little of everything and you'll almost never hear a controller without a pilot response, which is one of my pet peeves.

Amen to that.  Very informative post! 

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 11:35:09 PM »
Thanks Jeff...extremely useful info!  It will come in handy when we bring up the enhanced JFK feed, which will hopefully be next week.  I am configuring the replacement PC as I type this.

Dave