airtraffic

Author Topic: new tower simulator  (Read 60416 times)

Offline LAPTOP GAMER

Re: new tower simulator
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »
I have it, but there is much room for improvement.

Offline LAPTOP GAMER

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »
The graphics are not the greatest, and it needs work, but I applaud the effort as I like to see the aircraft instead of staring at a radar screen.

kea001

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 11:42:24 PM »

Does this still work in XP? I haven't played that game in AGES! I'd love to try it again with what I know now compared to what I knew when I last played it some 7 years ago. Anybody know where to grab it?

BL.

Where to get it:

http://www.scenery.org/atc_sims.htm

Getting it to work in Windows XP

1/ Install the program, then delete MSVCRT10.DLL and MSVCRT20.DLL from the Tower folder.

2/ Copy and paste WING32.dll from the Windows/system folder to the Windows/system32 folder.

http://www.aviatorwebsite.com/leisure/simulators/reviews/tower.php

"...UP YOUR FREQUENCY!"

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:51:49 PM by kea001 »

Offline kyle172

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 01:26:23 AM »
There is also another one called

Tokyo Tower Bigwing that just came out as well

Offline kyle172

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 01:34:27 AM »
Russell, Did you yout company make this or someone else?

There is a 'newer' tower simulator that just came to north America on Nov. 19, 2008. It's called 'I am an Air Traffic Controller 3 - Tokyo Big Wing'. This tower simulator is completely different from the feelThere product and really delivers a great ATC experience. To find out more visit www.atc3support.com

It's on sale right now for Christmas.

Offline atsugi

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 08:42:57 AM »
tried it out myself and it took up way too many resources

Offline hakan737

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
Tower simulator is really disappointing program with their "misleading" screenshots and features information. I agreed with one of comments as above, Towersim is the same with old BaO Towersim.It is just only developed newest graphics and software capabilities, thats all but "totally awful!". Actual graphics are not the same with screenshots, AI logics are terrible!there are too many conflicts on the ground and in air.

ATC simulator2 is absolutly better than towersim or any other basic radar screen simulation but not perfect.

I've read a lot excite comments about "I am an air traffic controller" but still I don't have much expecting from this simulation. You can watch the introduction video in their web site. Honestly, it looks better than Towersim excatly but as far as I see, it is still looks like a game instead simulator.

Offline Denis1979

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, but have read frequently here. I wanted to comment on the tower simulations, which are a big passion of mine. Perhaps anybody has more information on them.

Tower Simulator by Wilco Publishing

I have read a lot of comments and posts about it and must say that a number of them are inaccurate!

1. The graphics and object behaviors are in fact debatable and for sure improvable. They are far from real and therefore make this software a game and not a simulation.

2. The complexity is actually quite good. If you share my definition that a simulation must not be featured by gaining points and taking scenario levels (like in ATC3 - I am an air traffic controller) this software has actually a very good basis to start with. In fact, the classic ground controller problem of going for speed in operations and avoiding bottlenecks (!) can be very well confronted in this software.

3. The inclusion of most actual runways and especially taxiways of Chicago, Paris and Munich is just great! Here one of my critique towards many comments that I have read: If you use the commands "a/c go to runway 22L" the plane will take the shortest and most logic route to there. This works however only when there is little traffic at your airport. Once you 30-40 planes taxiing at Chicago e.g. it will lead to absolute  chaos and blockage. The actual challenge is to steer this traffic without blockings and collisions. If you find this challenge appealing as I do, then TS might be a great software. In fact you can command the a/c to use the exact real taxiways at the airports. This way, you have to craft your own traffic system, which is a great challenge (ID go to runway XC via taxiway A and B and C and D and E and F..."

4. While the idea and its basic implementation is good, the software suffers some very awkward malfunctions.

4.1 Inbound a/c
Incoming planes contact you quite late. I regularly had a/c approaching and contacting me for landing clearance 25 seconds before touchdown. Considering that you have to texttype the reply it gives you no time to figure out if the concerned runway is cleared. Further, if you are busy at the "with you" hand-over message typing a taxiway command to a plane on the ground, your challenges becomes less the logistical and structural overview, but more the speed of your reply to get the a/c down. Further, the number of commands and enquiries to planes in the air have no effect - e.g. enquire for air speed without having any possibility to send modifications... Also, I regularly had a bunch of aircrafts flying directly over my airport passing at probably 1000 feet or less! This is far from realistic and those were no inbound or outbound planes. It does not hurt you in any way, but makes your radar extremely full and difficult to control. Further, the "go around" command simply does not work. I attempted it several times, but never had that flight coming back on the radar, after it left radar sight.

4.2 Landing a/c
The graphical details are not debatable, but probably easily improvable. A/c landing runways cannot be modified, which is pretty awkward, since it is important to logistic efforts, avoiding bottlenecks. The a/c runways can be seen in the flight list, however. When the planes land, it is impossible to tell them which taxiway to use to leave the runway. They stop at those intersections and await your commands. Just from simple a/c size, those waiting positions off the runway should make it impossible for other planes to pass by the interconnecting taxiway, but in the software, they can, which is not good. Once the a/c have landed, they can be ordered to "go to terminal". However, you cannot see to which gate these aircrafts are headed! You have to click on the plane after it started moving and activate "show path" and then follow the route visually, to find out if it will interfere with your other traffic logic. You can then command the a/c to go to terminal via taxiway A and B. But when issuing this command, the a/c suddenly generates a new gate target and has trouble following your route because you can only name two taxiways to use for going to terminal, while multiple for a/c going to the runways! Although the function is obviously available for the outbound traffic, you cannot apply it to inbound on the ground, which is so sad because it destroys your whole system and the fun. Also on ground radar, I cannot see which plane is inbound or outbound when taxiing on the airport, which makes you click in the planes each time to find out it is or not, by commanding a path visible on command. Pretty sad.

4.3 Outbound
Navigating your a/c to the different runways is very well done. You can describe every taxiway to use and which runway to use. Preserve your traffic and craft your own system. I love it. However, handing over the plane to departure does not seem to make any difference in flight behavior, so I do not know why it was integrated at all.

4.4. Others
A big flaw is the lack of parking or holding positions. You cannot move planes to specific locations on the airport, although there are many available. E.g. an a/c heavy comes in and finds no free gate (which is a cool feature!), you cannot move it off the runway! The impossibility to assign or at least know gate destinations for inbound is crazy, e.g. at Paris you will have a plane land on 08R and taxi to Terminal A. In order to give it a taxiway route, you can only design two taxiways and have to stop the plane manually every second corner and give a new command. This leads to the generation of a new gate destination, perhaps on the opposite side again. But if you do not correct the taxiways, the plane will simply go its rational route, leading to violation of the classic N and F one-way taxiways at Paris, making everything stop and you end up removing that a/c. While it is great to have a software that uses real airline names and planes, it is too bad that they do not deliver the airport maps, which you need to get from the internet. For one thing, I actually found it hard to find maps where you could read the designations well, when printing Paris or Chicago on an DIN A4 paper sheet. For another, it is not stated from which date the airport design originates. So you have to test out, which taxiways are actually working on your radar. E.g. at Chicago the important taxiway M does not work, making all a/c in the east go over taxiway D. Also the inbound connection from 32R via E does not work when assigning taxiway R or E as final interconnection to A/B corrdiros. Also, runway 10 does not work in the software, but it might have been under construction in real at that time.

5. Conclusion
In comparison to ATC3 (I am an air traffic controller), Tower Simulator comes closer to the actual challenge, when talking about simulations. ATC3 is extremely easy and simple and the brain design of your traffic system is not necessary. However, ATC3 is very well equiped with gate destinations (although also surreal for you choose a gate when the plane comes in) and parking position transfer to terminals. Therefore, the simulative aspect of TS is good, but has been implemented very, very badly. I do not see any approximation to international regulations and I can only that no professional worked on that, as they advertised it - because it is simply not correct. If they could only improve on those functions the software has the potential to become an entertaining piece for At passionates like myself.

I was not able yet to install update 1.1 nor 1.2 since I had to register in their forum and await a verification which has not yet come in (1 week after purchase and installation). As far as I have read, those performance limiting features have not been removed however. If you have any information on whether I have missed some new development here, please let me know.

In any case, please feel free to frankly critisize my observations and impressions.

Best regards,

Denis

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 03:07:42 PM »
I their something like ATC3 availble for Mac os x? Info would be appreciated.

Offline zoso11

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »
hello, im hoping someone can help, ive been scouring the internet trying to find the commands for BAO Tower and this forum comes up in alot of the results. Ive installed it on vista, and when you go to the commands and help it will not display them. Ive done all the file swapping so the program runs etc, just cant remember any of the commands because i havent played it in 10years.

Id be ever so greatful if someone could list them for me.

many thanks

Offline mfahey

• http://www.satdirectory.com
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »
Zoso11 if your still looking for the list of BAO Tower Comands here they are:

For Aircraft on The Ground:

Taxi to (Rwy)   /T   Causes an aircraft to taxi to a specified runway.  If there are any runways between the aircraft's current location, and the runway they have been taxied to, they'll automatically cross them unless told to hold short.

Cleared for Takeoff   /CT   Authorizes departing aircraft to taxi onto the assigned runway and take off.

Taxi to Parking   /TP   Causes an aircraft to taxi to parking. The aircraft will cross any runways in-between unless told to hold short of them.

Continue Taxiing   /TU   Causes an aircraft to continue taxiing after it was told to stop by a controller. (Also used after hold short commands.)

Taxi Into Position and Hold   /TH   Requests an aircraft to taxi onto the assigned runway and hold this position, awaiting takeoff clearance.

Hold Your Position   /HY   Instructs an aircraft to hold its current position.

Cancel Takeoff Clearance   /CC   Cancels a previously issued takeoff clearance.  If the aircraft has already started their takeoff roll, it will stop on the runway.  Cleared for takeoff is the only command it recognizes.

Hold Short (Rwy)   /HS   Requests a taxiing aircraft to hold short of a selected runway.

For Aircraft in Flight:

Cleared for Touch and Go   /CG   Usually given to aircraft established on final approach or in the VFR pattern. This authorizes the pilot to land and immediately take-off. Used most for pilot training, maintenance checks on aircraft, etc.

Cleared for Low Approach   /CA   Given to an aircraft on final approach or in the VFR pattern.  This command authorizes the pilot to fly over the runway without touching it.  This is exactly the same as a touch and go, except the pilot does not make contact with the ground.

Cleared to Land   /CL   Given to an aircraft on final approach or in the VFR pattern, clearing it to land.

Cleared for the Option   /CO   Given to an aircraft on final approach or in the VFR pattern.  It authorizes the pilot to execute a low approach, touch and go, full stop landing, or a stop and go.

Report Left Downwind (Rwy)   /PLD   Tells pilot to report when established on a left downwind to a specific runway.

Report Left Base (Rwy)   /PLB   Tells pilot to report a left base to a specific runway.

Report Right Base (Rwy)   /PRB   Tells pilot to report a right base to a specific runway.

Report Right Downwind (Rwy)   /PRD   Tells pilot to report when established on right downwind to a specific runway.

Report (mile) Final (Rwy)   /PF   Giving a pilot this command causes him to report (X miles) on final to a specified runway.

Enter Left Downwind (Rwy)   /ELD   Instructs pilot to enter left downwind for the designated runway.  This differs from report, because the pilot will not call the controller when established on downwind.

Enter Left Base (Rwy)   /ELB   Instructs pilot to enter a left base for designated runway.  This differs from report, because the pilot will not give a verbal call to the controller when established on base.

Enter Right Downwind (Rwy)   /ERD   Instructs pilot to enter right downwind for the designated runway.  Once again, it differs from report because the pilot will not call the controller when established on downwind.

Enter Right Base (Rwy)   /ERB   Instructs pilot to enter a right base for the designated runway.  The pilot will not make a call when established on base.

Enter Final (Rwy)   /EF   Instructs a pilot to enter a final approach to a specific runway.

Make Left 180   /ML1   Instructs a pilot to make a left turn to the opposite direction currently flying.

Make Left 360   /ML3   Instructs a pilot to make a left turn and circle back to the direction currently flying.

Make Right 180   /MR1   Instructs a pilot to make a right turn to the opposite direction currently flying.

Make Right 360   /MR3   Instructs a pilot to make a right turn and circle back to the direction currently flying.

Make Short Approach   /MS   Instructs a pilot to make a shortened final approach.

Turn Out Approved   /AT   Selected aircraft may turn in any direction and leave the traffic pattern.  Once the aircraft is out of your airspace you would switch them to departure control.

Left Turn Out Approved   /ALT   Selected aircraft will turn left out of traffic.

Right Turn Out Approved   /ART   Selected aircraft will turn right out of traffic.

Turn Left to Heading (deg.)   /ULH#   Instructs aircraft to make a left turn to indicated heading.

Turn Right to Heading (deg.)   /URH#   Instructs aircraft to make a right turn to indicated heading.

Go Around   /G   Instructs pilot to cancel the landing.  This is normally used only in emergency situations where you need the aircraft to pull up and retract gear.

Break Out of Traffic   /B   Instructs pilot to break the current traffic pattern and wait for the tower's call from an initial entry point to the airport traffic area.

Extend Downwind   /X   When issued, an aircraft will fly a longer downwind leg before turning to base. Controller must tell the aircraft to turn base.

Contact Departure   /FD   Causes the aircraft to change frequencies and contact the departure controller.