airtraffic

Author Topic: New Listener with KPHL Question(s)  (Read 4447 times)

Offline russb

New Listener with KPHL Question(s)
« on: August 03, 2007, 04:17:43 PM »
Good day all, really enjoy this site.  Listen to KPHL daily and wondering, what does it mean after a landing and the tower tells the pilot to exit 'high speed' at xx when xx is ataxi way I think?

Also, I have a scanner at home, can I follow the tower at 118.350 to 118.5 when they tell flight to contact departure?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Russ

Offline KMSY

Re: New Listener with KPHL Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:49:23 PM »
I think I understand what you're asking, but I'm not sure.

A highspeed taxiway would be a taxiway like the "Sierras" at PHL. S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, and S9 are all highspeeds. Kilo 4 and Kilo 3 etc. would also be highspeeds. They're just angled taxiways so that aircraft don't have to stop completely and turn 90 degrees to get off the runway. When planes are a few seconds behind you, you're gonna want to decrease your time on the runway. So they'll obviously be popular at larger airports. Here's the PHL diagram: http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0707/00320AD.PDF

As for switching frequencies, keep them stored in the scanner's frequency banks and know which channel each freq. is on and just switch when tower gives the handoff. Find your scanner's manual and read up there for more info.

Offline russb

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:17:20 PM »
Bryce,

Thanks, now I understand the high speeds thanks for the info.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 01:26:20 AM »
Sorry I can't answer this since apparently I know everything about PHL  "Lord knows you've been pontificating about PHL long enough to desperately want to convince everyone that you actually know everything there is to know about PHL"

Offline KMSY

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 01:38:37 AM »
Sorry I can't answer this since apparently I know everything about PHL  "Lord knows you've been pontificating about PHL long enough to desperately want to convince everyone that you actually know everything there is to know about PHL"

Well of course.  :roll: