Author Topic: new JFK flight path?  (Read 8487 times)

Offline fryguy71

new JFK flight path?
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:54:17 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but have searched the internet for a while without finding an answer so here goes...

I have long watched the planes flying over my neighborhood (Park Slope) toward LGA runway 4 but yesterday I looked up and saw a British 747 on roughly the same course, but a little more to the west - was just over 5th Avenue for those familiar with the neighborhood.  Naturally I found this more than odd but then a few moments later another 747 followed the same route and then an Emirates A380.  It appeared that the Emirates began a turn toward the east but wasn't sure due to the low cloud cover. 

This is the first time I've seen such aircraft in that area and altitude and was wondering if anyone is aware of a change to the pattern into JFK?

Thanks.

alltheway

Re: new JFK flight path?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:03:24 PM »
 :lol: i don't exactly know why those airplanes where there, proabably to carry passengers, but you could find out some more at http://www4.passur.com/jfk.html

or http://www4.passur.com/lga.html

Just enter the right date and time and see how traffic goes... :evil:

Edit: I took a look at december 12 where you can see lots of traffic to the left and JFK to the right full in use, at 20 mile range, so at LGA they used maximum seperation or so... :-D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:31:48 PM by alltheway »

Offline joebone1

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
i was watching jfk yesterday afternoon and they were landing 13L but weren't flying canarsie approach but were west of canarsie and some were coming straight in - i wonder if they were ILS vs VFR.

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »
ILS 13L, rarely used.

Offline glencar

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
I'm not sure where Park Slope is in reference to JFK or Canarsie but the ILS13L approach has been used briefly within the past two weeks at least twice that I know of.

Offline fryguy71

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Based on looking at the Passur.com playback, it did appear they were using 13.  Not sure if left or right (do both have ILS?) but since there was low ceiling and rain pretty they were not using VFR. 

Like I said, just was the first time I can recall noticing heavy aircraft along that routing.

Offline fryguy71

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 01:22:51 PM »
PS - Park Slope is about 14 miles due west of the field.

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
13R doesnt have an ILS.