Author Topic: New Here...on flight path from ATL to CLT  (Read 4108 times)

Offline scdigger

New Here...on flight path from ATL to CLT
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »
Hey guys...absolutely new here, and hope you might be able to give a little guidance...

We are in the first full summer of our new pool, and after spending lots of relaxing nights laying by the pool, I've discovered that we are directly under and midway between (I think), the flight path between Atlanta and Charlotte (at least that's my best guess)...I've wondered as we watch dozens of flights pass over head every hour, if there was a way to listen to radio communication as they pass overhead?

I know it can be done, I've just never done it...I know the newbie question(s) get old, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, a thread or a link that may help...anyway, going to spend some time reading here, and see what I can learn.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

Greg

Offline Chananya Freedman

Re: New Here...on flight path from ATL to CLT
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:38:29 PM »
Welcome to the site!  You've come to the right place.  Well, for CLT they have a CLT Tower here.  For Atlanta, they have some Atlanta Center frequencies on a dedicated ZTL feed.  For Atlanta itself, as far as I know they don't have a tower feed, but I'm hoping they'll have one soon.  Some good feeds that might help you with the learning of the lingo are as follows: 
JFK (Clearance Delivery Ground Tower) plus others.
ORD (Chicago Departure and Tower)
LAX (only tower)

Those are my suggestions.  Dave, the owner of this site, may have some more suggestions for you, but these are what I could come up with.  Good luck and enjoy the site!  And enjoy your summer by the pool.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
Re: New Here...on flight path from ATL to CLT
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 06:33:26 PM »
if there was a way to listen to radio communication as they pass overhead?

Welcome!

You say you are midway between KCLT and KATL...you will not be able to hear tower, departure, or approach freqs from your house...unless you use the amazing resources of this sight and the army of volunteers that make it possible!  :wink:

Your best bet if you want to hear the aircraft flying that sector is to get a scanner and figure out witch "center" you are located in...you will need to do some research on this...say you live in "Atlanta Center"..."Atlanta Center" has several freqs...

You can get a descent handheld scanner from Radio Shack at a reasonable price.

The other question is are you close enough to the "Center" facility to hear them... You will be able to hear the aircraft as they pass overhead...if they transmit anything...but you may not be able to hear "Center". I have some sectional charts...if you want to send me a PM and let me know what city you live in I will do my best to get your closest "Center" freq for you.

Any other questions, feel free to ask! This sight has a great group of people who are very knowledgeable and willing to share! Again...Welcome!  8-)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:38:21 PM by joeyb747 »