airtraffic

Author Topic: New feed: BLM/WRI/NEL/N12/3N6  (Read 215800 times)

Offline JohnN

• KBLM, KWRI, KNEL, 3N6, N12, ZNY
    • Monmouth County Weather
Re: New feed: BLM/WRI/NEL/N12/3N6
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
If all this snow ever melts, I'll get up on the roof and try rotating the antenna another 90 degrees. See if I can get ground side any better.

Offline JohnN

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »
Well, sad news on the Allaire Airport front. The new owners, who want to make it a Teterboro like airport, closed off access to the hill where everyone used to go planespotting. Now if I want to go see the planes, I'll have to rent a hangar, because there is a big sign that says "Airport Tennants Only." Guess this is the end of another era.

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »
Consulting the log book, I last dropped in there for gas and a sandwich on June 7th, 1985, when it was known as Allaire airport.

Offline RonR

Re:
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2014, 11:06:50 PM »
Hey John, just noticed that there doesn't seem to be any audio coming from your KNEL/KWRI/ZNY feed. I can hear 125.325 on my home scanner but nothing on your feed. Thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.

Ron

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Offline JohnN

« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2014, 12:40:24 AM »
Thanks for letting me know. I just checked, and the scanner was in Search mode. I guess the button must have accidentally got hit. It should be fixed new.

Offline RonR

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2014, 08:39:56 AM »
Thanks John, it's all good now  :-)

Offline JohnN

« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »
This is strange, both feeds are running on the same Raspberry Pi, but right now only BLM is down. I guess I'll power cycle the Pi and see if that fixes it.

Offline RonR

Re:
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2014, 11:05:22 PM »
Yes, that happens to me too from time to time. Cycling the Pi usually fixes the issue. Dont kno why that happens though.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Offline JohnN

« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »
Yep, power cycling fixed it. Strange how that happened. And as far as the antenna goes, I'm thinking I'll go up on the roof and rotate it 90 degrees again one of these days. I'll see if the reception changes at all. One of these days I'll get a 3rd scanner and 2nd antenna to split up ZNY and WRI.

Offline JohnN

« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
Been a while since I posted here, but I just noticed I don't seem to be picking up the ground side too good right now. Does anyone know how long it's been like that? I can't remember if I tried the antenna in all possible positions or not. I wonder if rotating it would make that much of a difference? I really want to get a second antenna and 3rd scanner to split up ZNY/KWRI feed. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best antenna to pick up the ZNY and KWRI frequencies?

On another note, if you notice problems with the feed, please try to send me a PM or reply to this thread, because I don't check this forum all that frequently. I do check my emails regularly, so the email notification will tell me there's something wrong, and I'll get back to fixing it ASAP.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2014, 10:24:59 PM »
Been a while since I posted here, but I just noticed I don't seem to be picking up the ground side too good right now. Does anyone know how long it's been like that? I can't remember if I tried the antenna in all possible positions or not. I wonder if rotating it would make that much of a difference? I really want to get a second antenna and 3rd scanner to split up ZNY/KWRI feed. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best antenna to pick up the ZNY and KWRI frequencies?

On another note, if you notice problems with the feed, please try to send me a PM or reply to this thread, because I don't check this forum all that frequently. I do check my emails regularly, so the email notification will tell me there's something wrong, and I'll get back to fixing it ASAP.

Rotating that antenna is unlikely to do much of anything, John.  The issue is more likely a local noise level issue - something that could take a lot of debugging and that may not be easy to cure.  It could also be a change in setup on the base station (ATC) end.  They've been revamping a lot of equipment - and depending on a number of factors it could have made things more marginal.  If I recall that signal was right on the edge anyway.

From this vantage point it is all guessing.  Those broadband antennas are not ideal for optima ATC reception.  Better to use one tuned for VHF airband - but even that is no guarantee of picking up any particular ground station.  It's all about stacking the odds in your favor.

Offline ferraraj

« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
The feed lost ZNY-CAMRN (118.975) ground reception about 5 months ago (Late spring ish)

Offline JohnN

« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »
From this vantage point it is all guessing.  Those broadband antennas are not ideal for optima ATC reception.  Better to use one tuned for VHF airband - but even that is no guarantee of picking up any particular ground station.  It's all about stacking the odds in your favor.
Is it possible to make an antenna that would be good for these ATC frequencies? I'd really like to try to improve the ground-side reception, but don't want to go spending a lot of money on an antenna that may not even help. Is there anything else I could try to do besides changing the antenna? Of course it probably doesn't help that my house is surrounded by trees. Oh, I forgot to mention that I had to lock out 372.200. I was picking up nothing but static, and if I adjusted the squelch to fix 372.200, the scanner wouldn't pick up the other frequencies too good.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:51:12 PM by JohnN »

Offline RonR

« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2014, 10:24:51 AM »
Hi John, yes it's possible to build your own antenna.  I copied this information from another thread:

A quarter wave ground plane antenna is easy to make for less than $5.  You'll need a soldering iron and solder too.
Shopping list:
11 ft of 12awg solid wire(not stranded)
SO239 connector (Radio Shack No. 278-201)

Cut the wire into equal lengths of 23 inches
Insert one wire into center of the SO239 connector and solder it into place.
Make a loop in the other four wires and loop them into the four holes in the SO239 connector
Solder the four wires in place perpendicular to the center conductor wire.
NOTE: This will be about 70 Ohms.  Ideally you want 50 Ohms.  To get 50 Ohms you need to be at 135 deg from the center radial
Make a loop in the center conductor wire so you can hang it by string or rope. 

This is a great attic antenna and it works very well.  The 50 Ohm version is what I use for the KHSV feed.

Link to how to build it but use my wire lengths:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

I never tried this myself but I thought I'd pass it along.  I hope this helps...

Ron

Offline JohnN

Re:
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
I'll have to try that. I might even have enough wire laying around already. Hopefully it will improve the reception. For $5, it's worth a shot.

Offline JohnN

« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2014, 01:36:48 PM »
Just in case anyone is wondering, I ordered the connector last night, so I will give that antenna a try when it gets here.

Offline JohnN

« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »
Hi John, yes it's possible to build your own antenna.  I copied this information from another thread:

A quarter wave ground plane antenna is easy to make for less than $5.  You'll need a soldering iron and solder too.
Shopping list:
11 ft of 12awg solid wire(not stranded)
SO239 connector (Radio Shack No. 278-201)

Cut the wire into equal lengths of 23 inches
Insert one wire into center of the SO239 connector and solder it into place.
Make a loop in the other four wires and loop them into the four holes in the SO239 connector
Solder the four wires in place perpendicular to the center conductor wire.
NOTE: This will be about 70 Ohms.  Ideally you want 50 Ohms.  To get 50 Ohms you need to be at 135 deg from the center radial
Make a loop in the center conductor wire so you can hang it by string or rope. 

This is a great attic antenna and it works very well.  The 50 Ohm version is what I use for the KHSV feed.

Link to how to build it but use my wire lengths:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

I never tried this myself but I thought I'd pass it along.  I hope this helps...

Ron

Ok, so I got the connector a few weeks ago. I'm going to try making the antenna this weekend, but I have few questions. First, I see the connector takes PL-259 Coax, but I currently only have RG-6. Is there an adaptor I could use, or is my only option to buy some 259? My other question is, how important do you think height will be with this antenna? I don't really see any way I would be able to mount this on my roof, so I would have to either put it on top of the desk or in the attic. Do you think the extra height would be better, even with the extra coax?

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2014, 10:55:14 PM »
John, in the attic would be best, just hang it from the ridge board. Try to locate it as far from computers or network wiring as possible.

As to your connector problem, just get a PL259 to F adapter, like this one from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/f-to-pl-259-adapter/2780258.html

Offline JohnN

Re:
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
Ok, thanks. The attic shouldn't be too hard to do. I wasn't sure about an adapter, because I was a little concerned about signal loss. I'll try to get this up this weekend.

Offline JohnN

« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »
Ok, I know I've been saying I will get this new antenna up one of these days, but this time I mean it. I have just a few days left in this semester of college, so after I'm done I should have a lot of free time. I'll just have to get the adapter, and then I should be good to go. Should be up in the next few weeks.

Offline JohnN

« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »
Ok, just ordered the adapter. RadioShack had free 2 day shipping, so it should be here soon. I'm done with this semester of college, so now I have no excuses for the next month or so. I WILL get this done.