airtraffic

Author Topic: New CYWG Feeds  (Read 4290 times)

Offline JetScan1

New CYWG Feeds
« on: May 01, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »
Thanks for the new CYWG feeds, very good reception quality. In addition to the Center frequencies listed you should also be able to get good controller reception on 118.000 (low-east), 120.500 (high-west), 119.700 (high-west), all located at CYWG. Any chance it would be possible to add these 3 frequencies to the "CYWG Center" radio ?

JS

Offline drose12

Re: New CYWG Feeds
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 11:15:41 AM »
I'll add those two frequencies now (I had 118.0 already).

I'm also going to be putting the antenna up a little higher this weekend so that should hopefully make the reception a bit better yet. Still need to do some fine tuning especially on departure, I'm pretty close to the airport, so when the pilots report in after takeoff they often are not readable because the radio signal is so powerful.
Also the ATIS feed is not up yet as one of my SDRs failed (replacement on the way).

Is there a chart available that shows the airspaces? So far, I've just been listening to the conversations and keeping track of all the frequencies the controllers mention on their handoffs and adding them accordingly.

Thanks for your suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:43:46 AM by drose12 »

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 11:42:08 AM »
drose12,

I'll add those two frequencies now.

Thanks for doing that. (It's 3 frequencies, 118.000, 120.500, 119.70).

Is there a chart available that shows the airspaces?

A little old but still mostly accurate.

http://www.canairradio.com/WinnipegLO.jpg

http://www.canairradio.com/WinnipegHI.jpg

I've just been listening to the conversations and keeping track of all the frequencies the controllers mention on their handoffs and adding them accordingly.

Some notes if it helps,

- low altitude airspace extends up to FL280, high altitude is FL290 and above

119.700 - FL290 to FL350
120.500 - FL360 and above

- 119.700 is rarely used as a separate sector, normally 120.500 is used for both, so FL290 and above. However the controller will still simulcast on 119.700 even when the sector is not split and you will be able to hear aircraft on other frequencies via cross-coupling.

- many sectors are combined depending on traffic volume and time of day. 

- Winnipeg uses CPDLC quite a bit (high altitude airspace only), so you will not hear a lot of hand offs and some clearances from CPDLC equipped aircraft.

If you're using an SDR setup, and it's not to much trouble, is there any chance you can make the low altitude and high altitude feeds separate ?

Low Altitude

High Altitude

You wont hear the controller on 124.000 and 134.175 but should get good aircraft reception. A lot of times they are cross-coupled with 120.500 anyway but when they are split it would be handy to have them up.

Thanks again for the great setup !

JS

Offline drose12

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 11:44:39 AM »
Sorry, I didn't mention in my first post that I had already had 118.0 in the list.

Offline drose12

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 12:44:18 PM »
I'll speak with Dave and find out if there are stream count limitations, otherwise I don't mind creating some additional stream organizations as you suggest.
I'm finding that having them all logically split is nice when you want to focus on one area of ATC, and on the desktop experience you can easily have multiple streams open at once, so you can kind of customize your listening expereince.
The downside however is on the mobile client I can only listen to one stream, so when they get very specific, the amount of chatter is lower so it gets kinda boring to listen to.  So I think I'd like to have even more streams so that I can assemble some nice permuations and combinations that make sense.  I'm experminenting with channel mode and mixers now as scan mode seems to also have some limitations in that you sometimes miss parts of the conversations if things don't line up right.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 03:39:16 PM by drose12 »

Offline blacktop

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 05:46:41 PM »
Hi Drose12
      I too would like to say thanks for putting up the feeds. Jetscan1 has good suggestions {and I see why he mentioned 118.000, as I don't see it on the LiveATC CYWG stream listings}.

I know what you mean about having the multiple streams...making in harder to listen to stuff on the LiveATC iOS/Android app. What I did at CYHZ was use a scanner feed in addition to the eight SDR feeds. That allows you to do multiple frequencies on one stream for those folks that like to listen to on their phone to 'everything'. I kept the High Level off of that combined feed though.

Offline drose12

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 12:17:29 AM »
Oh I see, 118.0 is not listed on the site, but it for sure is in my feed configs.
I also finally got my 4th SDR for ATC audio online so CYWG ATIS is also up now.
I tried to do multichannel mode with mixers instead of scan mode, but so far I can't get it working well enough. Not sure if the FFT and bandwidth settings are quite right.
I'll have to post to see if there are any rtl-sdr pros out there to try a few things out.
In total I've got 5 SDRs (4 for ATC audio and 1 for ADS-B for FlightAware and Flightradar24), and 3 SDR's are on a Raspberry PI 3B+ and the other 2 are on a Raspberry PI 4.
Bit of a hacky setup all in all, but it seems to be working half decently.

Offline drose12

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 09:27:17 AM »
My raspberry pi microsd card bit it. I'm in the process of bringing the system back online.
Writing some better runbooks and updating my backup procedures too lol!

Offline blacktop

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 04:41:17 PM »
Thanks for keeping us updated....

Offline drose12

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 09:55:55 PM »
Always takes longer than it shoud. Back up and running.