Author Topic: New Banner/Flyer Slogan?  (Read 11718 times)

Offline DairyCreamer

New Banner/Flyer Slogan?
« on: October 09, 2007, 10:06:58 AM »
Hi all,

I noticed the new LiveATC.net banner includes the quote:

"Live Air Traffic - From Their Headsets to Your Ears."

Differing from the posters put out that say:

"Live traffic, from their headset to yours."

While I'm biased toward the latter quote (I think it sounds cleaner to the ear and, well, I submitted it  :-) ), either one works.  But I'd just as soon see them matched up between the posters and the website banner.

Edit - Upon further review, it appears that the original quote has been entirely supplanted.  The images for the new banners are different, though the PDFs have not yet changed.  Personally, adding the word "air" seems fine to differentiate for the morons who think this is gonna get them their morning CAR traffic report, but I still don't like the pluralization of "headsets" and "ears."  Something just sounds funny about it.

Again, I remain biased toward the original quote... not sure why the change, but perhaps:

"Live Air Traffic - From their headset to your ear"   Still too long, and doesn't flow off the tongue, IMO.

~Nate
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:16:19 AM by DairyCreamer »

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: New Banner/Flyer Slogan?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 03:58:09 PM »
The new PDFs will be uploaded shortly to reflect the latest slogan found on the new logo.  I too, agree with you that the new one sounds a bit funny.  Perhaps we'll rework it shortly in the future.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline DairyCreamer

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 04:22:33 PM »
I guess I missed the discussion about changing said slogan.  Oh well.

~Nate

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »
I guess I missed the discussion about changing said slogan.  Oh well.

~Nate

Me too.  Will look into it further this week.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:20:16 PM »
"Live Air Traffic - From their headset to your ear"   Still too long, and doesn't flow off the tongue, IMO.[/i]

"Headsets" is almost always plural, like the word "pants."  I believe this comes for the fact that the full description is a pair of headsets, much like a pair of pants.  Additionally,  "ear" as in singular form sounds funny to me.  It reminds me of "Shrek the Third" when the Cyclops character introduced his child and Shrek (or perhaps some other main character) responded, "He has your eye."

In my opinion I would prefer "Live Air Traffic - From their headsets to yours," which implies that you are listening over headsets as well.  But, you say tomaaato and I say tomahto (actually I don't say it that way).

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 05:38:28 PM »
Unfortunately, they're all awkward, but for different reasons.  I am rethinking the slogan and will decide some time soon.

Dave

Offline DhruvK

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 11:53:48 PM »
I think I'm partially to blame for "Headsets". Being the driving force behind the new logo/banners, the headset -> headsets change was my suggestion, just to make it grammatically accurate.

Y'all can blame Dave for Ears, though :P. I'd originally suggested "From Their Headsets to Your Desktop" as a potential slogan, but Dave wanted to avoid tying it specifically to computer users.

The slogan's certainly subject to change, and whatever Dave and the crew decide on here, I can easily work into the logo!

Offline DairyCreamer

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 12:23:22 AM »
In terms of slogan "design," perfect grammar, and a completely accurate and non-exaggerated explanation of the product/situation often times goes out the window in preference to something that sounds better.  Do you really think that when P&G advertized Crest Toothpaste with "Look, ma, no cavities!" that kids who brushed with Crest never had cavities again?  Is a diamond really forever?  What about multiple diamonds?  I digress...

While I certainly recognize that "from their headset to yours" implies that someone is listening on a headset, well, my personal idea was to minimize the number of syllables and words to spit out.  In a sense, make use of the KISS principle.  In my mind, it is catchy, quick to say, and memorable.  From a technical standpoint, pluralizing makes the statement sound odd in the sense that you are listening to individual transmissions from a single headset at any given time.  I don't know, it just doesn't sound right, and not "clean."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not averse to change... just make it for the better.  If the original slogan is not good enough for the site, then open up a new submission period for everyone!  It worked well before, for a time anyway.  Maybe this time let "management" select their top 3 of the choices submitted, then poll it on the forums.  Winner take all.

~Nate
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:29:37 AM by DairyCreamer »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 08:49:57 AM »
How about

From Their Headsets to You

Offline Tom56

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 08:53:50 AM »
That's more personal and people out there with no ears won't be offended.  :-D

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 09:17:22 AM »
From a technical standpoint, pluralizing makes the statement sound odd in the sense that you are listening to individual transmissions from a single headset at any given time.

I guess my point was lost.   To any pilot or controller, headset minus the 's' is the word that sounds funny.   Headsets are the tools of the trade.  Headset is not.

Ok, I am a big loser.   What the hell am I doing in an English debate anyhow?   In any regard, Dictionary.com does define "headset" as:

head·set      /ˈhɛdˌsɛt/
–noun
1.   Radio, Telephony. a device consisting of one or two earphones with a headband for holding them over the ears and sometimes with a mouthpiece attached.
2.   earphones or headphones.

Should have just looked there first.   Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 01:12:38 PM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline DhruvK

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 02:10:54 PM »
IMO, the big stumbling block here, is that you can't use "Their", which is a plural pronoun, and then follow it up with "Headset", the singular form of the object.

It can either be "his headset", or "their headsets" - "their headset" implies a communally shared item...

Offline DairyCreamer

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 05:02:31 PM »
Again, perfect grammar is not completely necessary here.

I mean... we could get silly here and start saying crap like:

"Live Air Traffic - From those who make use of electronic headsets for radio communications thence relayed to you in such a manner that one making use of a listening device of some sort may hear them audibly."

And I'm sure that contains a grammatical error somewhere.

And you know... "their headset" can be communally shared.  Virtually every controller has a headset.  Virtually every pilot has a headset.  In a pluralized sense, "their headset" can imply the headsets of air traffic controllers or pilots as a collective.  However, it's almost like the "Royal We," the majestic plural, as it may technically only reference one person alone.

~Nate
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 05:52:20 PM by DairyCreamer »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 02:49:42 PM »
How about

Any loud screams on this?

Keeps it more simple and doesn't lose the original meaning.

I do appreciate all the input and especially DairyCreamer for the original theme idea...no need to debate grammar any longer.

I need to wrap this up.

Will listen to any other comments/suggestions through this evening.

Thanks all,
Dave