airtraffic

Author Topic: Need help with KSJC frequencies  (Read 9272 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Need help with KSJC frequencies
« on: July 10, 2007, 11:14:53 AM »
Airnav shows these frequencies for KSJC:

Tower: 124.0
NORCAL Approach: 120.1,125.35,134.5
NORCAL Departure: 121.3

I have an opportunity to place a (single to start) receiver reasonably close to San Jose soon.  Trying to find a reasonable and minimal interesting mix of frequencies to plug in.

Thoughts?  How busy are the sectors on each of those approach frequencies?  Are there missing frequencies?  Are any of these not used?

Need the info ASAP (today).

Thanks,
Dave

Offline PHL Approach

Re: Need help with KSJC frequencies
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:45:08 AM »
This is what I have, although I know nothing about the the sectorization.

HOOKS - 135.2
LICKE - 120.1 (Primary) / 134.6 (Secondary)
MORGAN - 124.52
TOGA - 121.3

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 12:48:50 PM »
Didn't see this one this morning, and my notes from the tour of NCT I was on are at home. I've posted this to the guys at vZOA as there are some controllers over there and know the sectorization. I've asked them to either reply there or post them here, so we'll find out something soon enough. PHL has them right for there, but I'm pretty sure there's more sectorization going on; at the tour, I concentrated on the KSMF/KMHR area.

BL.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »
Didn't see this one this morning, and my notes from the tour of NCT I was on are at home. I've posted this to the guys at vZOA as there are some controllers over there and know the sectorization. I've asked them to either reply there or post them here, so we'll find out something soon enough. PHL has them right for there, but I'm pretty sure there's more sectorization going on; at the tour, I concentrated on the KSMF/KMHR area.

BL.

Thanks...I'm told 120.1 is Final.  Real question is where the ground transmitters are for these frequencies...maybe we'll just do 120.1 and Tower for now.  Keep it simple.  We can always change later.  Anyone know if 120.1 can be picked up with a scanner and rooftop antenna in Santa Clara?

Offline tyketto

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »

BL.

Thanks...I'm told 120.1 is Final.  Real question is where the ground transmitters are for these frequencies...maybe we'll just do 120.1 and Tower for now.  Keep it simple.  We can always change later.  Anyone know if 120.1 can be picked up with a scanner and rooftop antenna in Santa Clara?

You should. I know I picked up Final quite clearly on my handheld last time I was in the area, and I was between SJC and Moffett Field. so I know it has to be around that area. I haven't heard anything back from vZOA yet, but I'll keep my eyes open.

BL.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 02:20:56 PM »
OK - scanner already shipped but thanks for the continued input.  We have a chance to tweak it right after install.

-dave

Offline zyuzin4

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 08:02:10 PM »
Hey, thats pretty much all there is for SJC. I couldn't get Norcal very clearly from South San Jose, don't know where the transmitters are. Santa Clara is pretty close to the airport so hope you can get Tower for us!

Offline inigo88

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 04:34:23 AM »
Hey Dave, I believe the NCT TRACON transmitters for at least Licke and Toga are located at SJC, on the radio towers that are co-located with the control tower on the west side of the field (adjacent to long term parking). Here is a rundown of the aforementioned sectors in NCT West flow, where SJC is landing and departing runways 30L and 30R, and runway 29 (for general aviation).

120.10 -- LICKE -- Final Approach sector for Rwy 30L/R and 29

121.30 -- TOGA (Formerly Saratoga) -- Initial departure sector for all DPs

135.20 -- HOOKS -- This sector covers the final approach area for Moffet Federal Airfield (NUQ), west and south of SJC, from the surface all the way to 12000. I believe this sector is staffed part-time and may be combined with other sectors some of the time (like Toga or Woodside). Since Moffet isn't very active, radio traffic here would most likely be dominated by GA aircraft on the bay tour transitioning to and from the peninsula airports (SQL and PAO) down the bayshore freeway to SJC and points east.

124.52 -- MORGAN -- Is the feeder sector for the ROBIE2 STAR to SJC (as well as the PXN2 to OAK, and everything in between below FL190). I also believe the HYP5 STAR proceeds through this airspace after ZOA initially hands it off to the Turlock sector (126.47 - which is a small sector in the central valley in the viscinity of Turlock and the HYP vor at and below FL190). It's worth a shot trying 124.52 and 126.47, but the transmitters for these guys are likely to be in the Salinas/Hollister area and the Turlock area respectively, with line of site to San Jose blocked by a LOT of terrain. We need some well-connected person in the area to set up a remote feed on a really high mountain so all these other sectors get covered.  :wink:

San Jose Int'l is a Class C airport and not as busy as the other two major bay area airports (SFO and OAK), and because it's the one furthest from me I know the least about it, so I'd love to listen to an NCT feed for the area - and you're definitely going to get a good amount of traffic on all those frequencies. If you can't get Morgan and Turlock to work (which may be the case), I think a really good setup would be:

120.1 - LICKE - SJC Final
121.3 - TOGA - SJC Departure
135.2 - HOOKS - SJC West/NUQ Final
124.0 - SJC TWR
121.7 - SJC GND
118.0 - SJC DEL

Edit: If this configuration can spare any more space, Moffet Tower on 119.55 would prove to be an interesting addition, because they serve as an intermediate contact for low altitude GA aircraft going between SQL/PAO and SJC (as mentioned for the higher altitude guys about the Hooks sector above).

Great job guys! I can't wait for this awesome addition of a new feed. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 04:40:20 AM by inigo88 »