airtraffic

Author Topic: Need a HF antenna!  (Read 9262 times)

Offline m1kka

Need a HF antenna!
« on: March 16, 2011, 01:46:31 PM »
So im hoping someone on here can help me out. I have an Icom R75 and really want to start listening to some HF ATC from here in Perth, WA. I live on a typical suburban block so I dont have any room for longwires or huge verticals. I can get height if I need it though. At the moment I have a homebrew dipole for listening to VHF airband it is approx 6m agl on a hockeystick.

I have been looking at the DXE-ARAV3-1P and it seems like a good option. Is the only way to mount this on the ground? Or could it perform well if it was given some height? I have also been looking at the idea of a homebrew magnetic loop.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

Offline K5PAT

Re: Need a HF antenna!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »
The DXE-ARAV3-1P is an excellent RX antenna, but you need to put in some grounding for it to work properly. Probably not suited to elevated mounting. See some reviews here http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5322

Offline m1kka

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »
So having it mounted to a copper grounding spike into the ground in the backyard would work? It would then be about 2m from the side of the house and I will have to run probably 15m of coax into the shack. I have been reading some good reviews about wellbrook loops.

Offline Camcanfly

• KTPA Tower
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:46:07 PM »
For HF I would use a G5RV Jr. if you have the room.  I actually use a G5RV Jr for HF myself.  Or you could even just make one if you have the wire....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:58:08 PM by Camcanfly »

Offline K5PAT

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:56:30 PM »
So having it mounted to a copper grounding spike into the ground in the backyard would work? It would then be about 2m from the side of the house and I will have to run probably 15m of coax into the shack. I have been reading some good reviews about wellbrook loops.
   It depends on the ground conductivity at your site.  More ground rods are better and even better are copper radials buried just underground running horizontally away from the antenna base.

Offline m1kka

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 04:58:25 AM »
For HF I would use a G5RV Jr. if you have the room.  I actually use a G5RV Jr for HF myself.  Or you could even just make one if you have the wire....

I do have a G5RV but I just don't have sufficient room to put it up efficiently. Will the option from dxengineering suffer from much noise? As I said I can only get it a few meters from the house maximum. There are no powerlines in my area as it is all underground so that shouldn't create a problem? I'm really keen to get something soon so I can try and pull in some stations!

Thanks so far for the replies.

Michael..