Author Topic: Nasa Space shuttle to land at Edwards Airforce Base 7:45GMT Tonight!  (Read 6613 times)

Offline mjtibbz

but KEDW feed is down?!?!?!

I hope it comes back up in time.

They are landing at Edwards due to weather conditions.

Offline tyketto

Re: Nasa Space shuttle to land at Edwards Airforce Base 7:45GMT Tonight!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »
but KEDW feed is down?!?!?!

I hope it comes back up in time.

They are landing at Edwards due to weather conditions.

It may not be back up by then, but if at all, unless someone else hosts the feed:

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php/topic,3257.0.html

BL.

Offline mjtibbz

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 03:25:17 PM »
damn... thats  a shame.

ok thx for the info.

Offline kkjlai

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
Just a question of interest..

Do the Shuttle (or Houston on its behalf) need to talk to ATC??  Do the , Edwards Tower need to say "Shuttle Atlantis, Runway (whatever), clear to land)? 

And do the ATC block off a chuck of airspace when the Shuttle lands? 

(Or maybe do the approach say "Shuttle Atlantas, Approach, clear to flight level 1000 and speed Mach 10 ?")

kkjlai

Offline DairyCreamer

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »
My specialty at ZAB has a large swath of airspace ready to protect in case the shuttle needs to land at White Sands.

*Opening the LOA that I really should have memorized by now...*

Disclaimer:  I am going to assume my LOA between ZAB and NASA is for official use only, so... I'm not going to divulge specific information for national security reasons.

Basically, ZAB is notified ahead of time when and where the space shuttle will be entering their airspace.  Traffic would need to be routed around to protect the airspace the shuttle would be using from the top of Class A airspace to the ground.

Since the shuttle is a glider, ATC wouldn't be able to give any sort of really meaningful clearance.  That, and with re-entry procedures being as complex as they are, the shuttle would most certainly need to maintain contact with NASA through and after the touchdown and rollout.  They have such intensive telemetry, they could tell the shuttle much, much more quickly of any observed deviations from the flight path.

I know there are people much more knowledgeable about these things than I (FC?), but there was never any talk of actually speaking to the shuttle when there was a possibility of a divert to white sands a few months back.  Just excitement of seeing a blip hop across the scope a few inches at a time (really really fast).

~Nate

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »
Does the shuttle have an airband transceiver (or only communication on NASA frequencies)?