airtraffic

Author Topic: Naibock Estimate  (Read 9952 times)

Offline michaelt747

Naibock Estimate
« on: April 22, 2006, 11:39:44 PM »
Hey guys,

So a couple of years back (about 2 or 3) I was flying on United 934 from LAX to LHR on a 777.  Of course I was listening to Channel 9 throughout the flight, especially during the entire descent and approach into Heathrow.  I can't really remember what phase of the flight we were in exactly, but I think it was just in our vectors to the final approach course, I heard the controller talk about a Naibock Estimate (pronounced n "eye" bok)(it may have been Maybach or something...)

Does anyone know what this is?  I think it had something to do with altitudes and speed or something which I thought was just one of those fixes where controllers will tell a pilot to be at a certain altitude and at a certain speed, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanx, Michael

Offline Cessna172

Naibock Estimate
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 01:03:55 AM »
First of all, what's channel 9?  :D

Cessna172
Home Airport: West Houston Airport (KIWS)
www.westhoustonairport.com

Offline michaelt747

Naibock Estimate
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 01:08:10 AM »
On most United Flights--especially those going internationally, they have a channel (channel 9) that is connected to the cockpit radio--you can hear all of the ATC communication to whatever radio frequency the pilot is tuned to at any specific time!!! its really really cool!

Offline Cessna172

Naibock Estimate
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 01:20:46 AM »
WOW!!! :!:  :D

Sounds REALLY cool!

Unfortunately, I NEVER FLY UNITED   :(

Cessna172

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Re: Naibock Estimate
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 01:25:00 AM »
Quote from: michaelt747

Does anyone know what this is?  I think it had something to do with altitudes and speed or something which I thought was just one of those fixes where controllers will tell a pilot to be at a certain altitude and at a certain speed, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

If you were coming in from an Oceanic Area, you were most likely in an area of Non-radar ATC.  Non-radar procedures use Estimates, progress reports, and position/altitude reports on a routine basis.  I'm not familiar with UK procedures but my best guess of the "Nailbock Estimate" would the pilot's estimate over the Nailbock fix.

Offline michaelt747

Naibock Estimate
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 01:31:53 AM »
thats what I would have thought, but i distinctly remember us being over land when they said it...i think i was preceded by:  contact the Flight Controller with your Naibock Estimate...or something like that...i wrote it down so i wouldnt forget

Offline Cessna172

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 01:38:10 AM »
Quote from: davolijj
I'm not familiar with UK procedures but my best guess of the "Nailbock Estimate" would the pilot's estimate over the Nailbock fix.

Wait a minute...I though fixes could only be 5 letters. :?:

P.S. Please excuse me if I am really wrong. My apologies in advance.

Cessna172

Offline blizzard242

Naibock Estimate
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 02:56:38 AM »
What freq is cannel 9, Can I hear cannel 9 freq. on a scanner.

Offline Chaos81

Naibock Estimate
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 04:24:54 AM »
Channel 9 is whatever frequency your plane is tuned to at the time. About the only way you could listen to it, other then on the plane, is if you knew every single frequency the plane would be one, and then somehow managed to receive all of them.

Offline m50

Naibock Estimate
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 04:28:12 AM »
It is possible what you refer to is the NIBOG Oceanic entry/exit point on the Atlantic .it is situated  55deg. north and 10 deg.west....Just off the north Irish coast. On an eastbound flight it is at this point flights are handed over by the HF Oceanic controllers to UK/Irish  vhf area control

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 07:40:48 AM »
Quote from: Cessna172

Wait a minute...I though fixes could only be 5 letters. :?:

Intersections, Waypoints, and DME fixes are 5 letters, but VORs and NDBs are navaids which are considered fixes to ATC as well.  I like m50's theory on this one...it makes a lot of sense.

Offline digger

Naibock Estimate
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 09:22:20 AM »
What freq is cannel 9, Can I hear cannel 9 freq. on a scanner.

It is as explianed above, but understand it's not one frequency you can tune on your scanner at home. *In the airplane*, you can plug in your little headset, and hear the audio for the inflight movie, or other audio entertainment. Channel 9 is one of the choices, and it contains audio from the radios the pilots are using to communicate with ATC.

Offline Cessna172

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 05:36:11 PM »
Quote from: davolijj
Intersections, Waypoints, and DME fixes are 5 letters, but VORs and NDBs are navaids which are considered fixes to ATC as well.

Ah...thanks!!   :D

Cessna172

Offline lpower

Naibock Estimate
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 09:07:30 PM »
I'm 99.9% sure, m50 is correct on this one.

Offline michaelt747

Naibock Estimate
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 02:50:09 AM »
sounds like it...THANX!!!! this ends about 3 years of wondering...

michael