airtraffic

Author Topic: MSY Feed Up Now  (Read 11455 times)

Offline KMSY

MSY Feed Up Now
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »
I've finally got the MSY feed set up and it's coming in loud and clear. If everything goes right, it should be up by tonight. If you're interested here are the details for the feed:

There are three New Orleans TRACON freqs. online: 123.85, 133.15, and 125.5. As far as I can tell 125.5 operates 24/7. Sometime in the evening (about 1800 local) 133.15 and 123.85 are coupled. The MSY freqs. stay up 24/7 I believe.

MSY has no published DPs but every aircraft is vectored to a preassigned fix for release from the New Orleans airspace. These procedures are labeled as ***DP. The first three letters are usually the start of the fix. Just about every IFR flight leaving MSY starts with one of these procedures. Examples can be found on flightaware.com.

---------------------------
There are two other major airports in the area: New Orleans Lakefront (KNEW) and New Orleans Navy Air Station (KNBG).

Lakefront is where all the local GA traffic flys in and out of. Lakefront tower will open later this month (supposedly). It has been closed since Katrina.

New Orleans Navy is where the N'Awlins Air Show is held every October. There isn't too much traffic, but it is a Joint Reserve Base. Navy, Marine, Coast Guard, and Air Force units train there.

I have another scanner and might be able to get a feed up for both airports, but they're kinda far away.

I've been creating this map/guide to listening for the New Orleans area for personal purposes. But if you're interested in sitting down and listening to New Orleans traffic, I think these easy to read maps can make it a little more fun. I used approach charts and the DME values to pinpoint the location of the fixes. The blue lines are instrument approaches. I've labeled the airports, displayed the water bodies in the area, and labeled some features of the New Orleans metro area.

Here it is - you can use it for listening: http://members.cox.net/brnelson3/MSYATC.pdf

Thanks for Looking,
Bryce
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:59:34 PM by KMSY »

Offline Olivia

Re: MSY Feed Up Soon
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:55:24 PM »
Thanks for all your work, Bryce! :-D  I'm looking forward to checking the feed out when I have some time this weekend.

Offline jamall02864

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:39:48 AM »
congratulations on finally getting everything to work right for you.

ill have to listen in soon

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 07:22:50 AM »
This feed is now listed.

Offline mjtibbz

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 10:44:29 AM »
congratulations!

listening now, great work!

Offline KMSY

Re: MSY Feed Up Now
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:51:52 PM »
I've been listening for the past few hours and with the exception of some planes with weaker transmissions (Cessnae and smaller aircraft) on the ground, everyone can be heard fine. It has rained here in New Orleans every day for just about the past two weeks. New Orleans is something like the 4th rainiest city in the US. If you like hearing requests for course deviations due to weather, you'll have fun listening to the new MSY feed.

Offline KPryor

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 10:09:18 PM »
Thanks for starting this Bryce!
KP

Offline Zackmoe

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 05:06:39 PM »
Thanks man, I've been waiting for this for a while! And the map, now thats just going above and beyond the call of duty! MANY thanks! Do you know of anyone who goes planespotting out at MSY?

Offline KMSY

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 08:23:07 PM »
Occasionally I talk with the A.Netters who always have new pics from MSY. I myself don't do it often. But I assume someone is around the airport one day out of the week. I've never been on the fence before.

However, I do like to ride a bike down the Mississippi River levee to the approach end of 1 and listen. The levee puts you about 5 feet above rooftops. On the south side of the levee (facing the river) there are no houses or trees blocking your sight, and you can see planes fly the entire base leg.

Also, I noticed that the feed was down for a while this afternoon, don't know why - it might have been just a hiccup.

Thanks for listening.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 08:25:43 PM by KMSY »

Offline Zackmoe

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 04:44:50 PM »
Yeah the levee is a great idea, I love being on the RWY01 approach, its such a great view of the river! I might try to get out there sometime soon. How often do they use the 01 approach though? It seems like 10 gets the most use. Also, do you have a handheld scanner? Is there one you can recommend (a cheap one)?

Offline KMSY

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 07:24:25 PM »
Look at this thread from the FAQ section about scanners: http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php/topic,1016.0.html

I'm pretty sure they run simultaneous approaches to 1 or 19 and 10 all day if the wind is calm. 28 is hardly used for arrivals due to noise and the heavily populated areas to the east. So that means on most days, when the wind is calm, all arrivals from the west and north will land on 10 and all arrivals from the south and east will land 1.

For departure, to the best of my knowledge, all runways are open for operational necessity. With the light traffic load, the controllers can fit departures in between arrivals and planes usually depart in the direction of the destination.

Offline UKbruce

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 01:22:03 PM »
Great work Bryce!!

It's great being able to listen to those friendly N'awlins controllers from here in London, just like I do with the scanner whenever I'm in the Big Easy :-D 

Bruce

Offline The Hoffspatcher

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 07:04:48 AM »
Excellent- I was at MSY a few days ago, nice airport. 

Reminds of me Family Guy at the maratime museum:

Peter: Look Chris, the lost city of New Orleans (ala Atlantis)
Chris:  Was there ever a real city of New Orleans?
Peter:  We'll never know.

Offline KMSY

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 07:46:33 PM »
nice airport.

Ya, I can see that. It's really quiet at most times, even during the day on the weekend. There's always places you can go and geek out without many people noticing. However, the aesthetic qualities are lacking.