airtraffic

Author Topic: Mobile site feeds keep force closing  (Read 21221 times)

Offline B777ER

Mobile site feeds keep force closing
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:20:39 AM »
On an android 2.2 phone. Used to be I could listen for hours to any feed. Now it keeps crashing after about 30 secs no matter what freed I select. This had been going on for a couple weeks now. Anyone else getting this? Is there a fix?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Mobile site feeds keep force closing
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:39:39 AM »
I do not see that here but contact me private - would like to get more data.  Just email to dave @ site domain.

Thanks

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:42:23 PM »
On an android 2.2 phone. Used to be I could listen for hours to any feed. Now it keeps crashing after about 30 secs no matter what freed I select. This had been going on for a couple weeks now. Anyone else getting this? Is there a fix?

My Evo does the same thing...

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »
What network are each of you guys on?  Trying to reproduce this, so far unsucessfully.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
I am on Sprint. I just tried it twice...made it 34 seconds the first time and 25 seconds the second time. I get a "Sorry, This Video Cannot Be Played" message.

Offline B777ER

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
Dave- sent you an email as requested with some info in it to dave @ domain site. Anyways, I am on Sprint as well using Android 2.2 OS. I live in a 4G area so connectivity to the internet is fine. Same as joey...about 30 to 45 seconds max then it shuts down with the error message: Sorry cannot play this video (even though I know its not a video).

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 11:40:24 PM »
So you both don't even get it to start playing?  That is what you both seem to be describing.

I still can't reproduce it here.  Don't have a Sprint simulator.  :-)

Offline B777ER

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:57:30 AM »
It starts playing and you can hear comms but it shuts off after the 30-45 seconds. I hope for better luck with the android app.....

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 08:34:08 AM »
I made a change on this end to help track what the issue could be.  Are you mobile or stationary when this happens, or does it not matter?

Try again and let me know how it goes.

And I assume you are using the built-in Android music/media player to play?

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:07:04 AM »
I've been stationary when I try to use it.

Same issue as well, connects, plays for 25-45 seconds, then gives me the error message.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 11:29:56 AM »
I've been stationary when I try to use it.

Same issue as well, connects, plays for 25-45 seconds, then gives me the error message.

Again, I ask...which player is launching when you click on the feed link?  The default music/media player?  :-)
I still cannot reproduce this here (on either WiFi or Verizon).  I wonder if Sprint is blocking streaming content - doubtful, but you are both on Sprint and I have not gotten any other reports on this.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »
This may be a Sprint issue - go read this thread and call Sprint Tech Support:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/75200-notification-amazon-about-streaming-mp3.html

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 06:04:54 PM »
Hi All.

I'm getting the same issue. I'm on a HTC Desire running Andriod 2.2, connected via mobile network (not WiFi) and on the o2 UK network. My feed shut off after about 45seconds using the default Android player.
Interestingly, it seems to be only on Mobile Internet the problem arises. I ran a feed for 5mins on WiFi without issue. (It didn't fail after 5mins, I switched it off).
I would definitely suggest it's a mobile internet problem. It's a shame as I'd like to be able to use it on the move!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:33:15 PM by ect76 »

Offline B777ER

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »
Dave- thanks for the link..that is the issue I am sure of it. Will be working on it later tonight to see if it works. Will let you know here.

Offline B777ER

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »
Dave, I have confirmed this to be a issue with Sprint, nothing at all to do with your site. Folks with Sprint phones (I use an Evo) and having this problem, go to the following link and follow the directions to the letter! Apparently update 3.70 which was delivered ota broke the music streaming portion of the Sprint Android phones. You will need to make a quick call to a Sprint rep (took me all of 5 minutes) to get your MSL number for your phone. I just tested a few different feeds and they are now all working. As an aside, this fix may actually boost your d/l and u/l speeds.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=922978

Dave, you may want to make this a part of your FAQ for folks coming aboard later with Sprint/Android phones.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 08:30:30 PM »
I attempted the fix in the above linked site...I was unable to access my menu...apparently that only works on select Evo phones. So I called Sprint, and they "refreshed my phone". That worked perfectly. It is a known issue, and they know just what to do. Just tell tech support that streaming applications crash after about thirty seconds, and they will take it from there! I'm streaming KLAX  right now...been streaming for over eight minutes now...so I'd say the over the phone fix worked!  8-)

If you do need to call Sprint to work this issue out, you will need another phone...don't call from the phone that needs service...  :wink: 

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »
I will add it to the FAQ, which is being revised and should relaunch soon.

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »
Hi Guys -

I'm not on Sprint, nor even in the US, but I'm having the same issue.
I called my operators tech support - The indian guy on the phone didn't really understand the problem nor what I was trying to do!
Is there any workaround/solution?
What did the Sprint tech do to your phone? Can you post the steps taken?

Offline nybigfoot

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »
For what its worth, I have a droid x with 2.2 through verizon and all I get is "failed to play the requested stream"...was fine a week ago..cant listen to anything anymore through the phone...bummer..
Thanks,
Bigfoot

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 04:23:05 AM »
For what its worth, I have a droid x with 2.2 through verizon and all I get is "failed to play the requested stream"...was fine a week ago..cant listen to anything anymore through the phone...bummer..
Thanks,
Bigfoot

This is fixed - contact me outside the forums is you experience this again.   This is not the fastest way to get help or to report an issue.

Offline mperry

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »
I started having a similar problem with my Galaxy 2 which I have only had two weeks. At first the default player on the phone would play the feed, however on Saturday when I tried to stream on 3G or wifi  it says "sorry, the player does not support the type audio file." I have had any updates so nothing has changed; also sometimes when trying with wifi I get a icecast limit message.  What type file is the stream?

Offline mperry

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
OK, I tried this and it worked... I was having issues with the default player on my galaxy 2 it would not stream the ATC live feeds anymore and said it was not the correct format, then I remembered the only change that I had made was installing the amazon mp3 player, so I un-installed the app restarted the phone and now it works fine. So this maybe be some info that may help someone out.