Author Topic: Military ATC Broadcasts  (Read 35278 times)

Offline Epp

Military ATC Broadcasts
« on: January 05, 2005, 12:49:55 PM »
Hey all its my first post here and already im asking for something.  Just wondering if anybody has a link where I can listen to military ATC broadcasts.  Hopefully looking for a busy fighter base.  Also im looking into getting a scanner and broadcasting Nellis Tower.  Thanks all.

Epp
ps.  Love the site guys keep up the good work.

Offline Cetacea

Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 06:31:37 PM »
You are in luck, there just happens to be one of the busiest Air Force bases online.  It is my feed, Okinawa Approach.  We are the military controllers on Kadena AB, which is an F-15 base.  You will hear both VHF and UHF frequencies, so you get to hear the fighters as well.  Over 75% of what we work is the civilian airliners into and out of Naha Intl, Japan's 4th busiest airport.  Take a listen, I think you will enjoy it.  Just remember the time difference.  We are Zulu +9 hours, so there may be times when there is nothing giong on becasue it is in the middle of the night here.  The busiest time is Mon-Fri 10am - 4pm local (5pm - 11pm PST)

Offline s76x

Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 07:39:36 PM »
Good work Cetacea! :D
I'm from Italy and I'm very happy to listen an air force base like kadena! Please don't close ever your feed!  :wink:

Offline Epp

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 08:06:06 PM »
Thanks Cetacea for the site I didn't know it was there.  Also I am thinking of putting a feed on from Nellis as well, but I have never bought a scanner do you have one you could recommend to me.  

Thanks
Epp

Offline Epp

Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 08:28:45 PM »
Ok is there a reason I can only hear the ATC controllers and not the planes on the Okinawa feed or is it just me.

Epp

Offline Cetacea

Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 08:43:03 PM »
Ok is there a reason I can only hear the ATC controllers and not the planes on the Okinawa feed or is it just me.

Keep in mind that the controllers are transimitting on 4 frequencies, so if the scanner is stopped on one of the four, but the aircraft is not on that freq, you will not hear the aircraft reply.  Keep listening, usually you can hear most of the conversations between both the controller and the aircraft.

As far as a scanner, I don't know what is out there anymore.  I am using a Sporty's SP100, which they do not make anymore.  It scans both VHF and UHF freqs.  But the ones they sell now only scan VHF.  I'm sure there are some really good ones available that scan both VHF and UHF from Radio Shack, but I wouldn't know which is the best.

Hope this helps......

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 08:49:36 PM »
There is a hydraulic leak going now on one of the military heavies...going to hold now to dump fuel.  Not declaring emergency yet.  After dumping fuel they are coming in to land.

http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/okinawa.m3u

They may be switching to a private frequency soon.

Offline Cetacea

Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 03:55:00 AM »
I'm from Italy and I'm very happy to listen an air force base like kadena! Please don't close ever your feed!

Well, the feed will be active for about another 10 months.  I will be leaving Okinawa and  moving back to the States in November of this year.  Also, the feed will be down starting the 10th of this month for a few days as I am moving to a new house.  Hopefully it won't be down for too long.

Offline Epp

Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 12:24:38 PM »
Hey Cetacea do you know where your next base is going to be at, and also are you going to set up another feed from that location.  It would be a shame to loose the only feed we have from a military base.

Epp

Offline Sumo29

Military feeds
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 01:27:31 PM »
yes, I think the Okinawa feed is fantastic,  and the sound is very clear too, and we are really going to enjoy it as long as it lasts, let's hope for the best for what will be next ! Maybe  another F-15 base like Holloman or Lakenheath over here in England, or Elmendorf ? Cetacea is the only one who knows, and  we can only wish he will be able to continue with this sort  of feed!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Military feeds
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 01:46:28 PM »
Quote from: Sumo29
yes, I think the Okinawa feed is fantastic,  and the sound is very clear too, and we are really going to enjoy it as long as it lasts, let's hope for the best for what will be next ! Maybe  another F-15 base like Holloman or Lakenheath over here in England, or Elmendorf ? Cetacea is the only one who knows, and  we can only wish he will be able to continue with this sort  of feed!

U.K. Law prohibits any ATC broadcasts, including Internet streaming.  That's why we don't have any U.K. audio feeds.

It's a shame, but it's the law.

Dave

Offline Cetacea

Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »
I have no idea where I will be going next.  I probably won't find out until this summer sometime.  Wherever I go, I will most definitly set up a feed.  That is, if where I live is in good range of any notable communications.  The audio is really good here because my antenna is up on my 2 story building roof, which is up on a hill, which looks down on the antennas for the RAPCON.  I will be moving next week to a new place that is only a single story and not in direct view of the antennas.  I will still be on the base, about 1 mile from my present home.  Hopefully the quality won't degrade very much if at all.  We shall see though.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 02:00:22 PM »
Quote from: Cetacea
I have no idea where I will be going next.  I probably won't find out until this summer sometime.  Wherever I go, I will most definitly set up a feed.  That is, if where I live is in good range of any notable communications.  The audio is really good here because my antenna is up on my 2 story building roof, which is up on a hill, which looks down on the antennas for the RAPCON.  I will be moving next week to a new place that is only a single story and not in direct view of the antennas.  I will still be on the base, about 1 mile from my present home.  Hopefully the quality won't degrade very much if at all.  We shall see though.

G-Dub,

As you say, shouldn't degrade much, if at all.  I wish every feeder site was within 1 mile of the ground transmitters!  Sometimes 1 mile is better than right on top of the transmitter, anyway.  I have seen many receivers overload pretty bad (to the point of distortion) when very close to ground or airplane transmitters.

Thanks again for providing one of the best quality and most interesting listening sites!

PE

Offline Hammie

Setting up feeder
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 01:55:00 AM »

When you PCS, I may be able to pick up the Okinawa feed, if no one else has ponied up to do so.  Contact me at clmackenzie(at)sunny-net.ne.jp so I can determine what is needed.

Thanks

Offline HH60CC

Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 02:02:45 AM »
Right on, I was going to volunteer as well.  I'm sure he's heading out soon

Offline Cetacea

Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 09:28:57 AM »
Actually I have one more year here.  I ended up extending for another year, so the feed will be good until Nov 06.  At that time, if there is anyone who wants to keep the feed going that would be great!

Offline Hammie

New Okinawa feed?
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 05:02:02 PM »
Actually I have one more year here.  I ended up extending for another year, so the feed will be good until Nov 06.  At that time, if there is anyone who wants to keep the feed going that would be great!

How about adding another feed?  You have the ARTCC covered, but how about adding a tower feed, or using two feeds for difference ARTCC sectors?  I may even be able to get Naha Tower from here, but probably not.

Hammie

Offline Cetacea

Military ATC Broadcasts
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2005, 05:17:11 PM »
I have Kadena DEL/GND/TWR and APP/DEP covered.  I used to have Naha Tower but that got to be too many frequencies.  I'm sure if you wanted to set up a feed that Naha DEL/GND/TWR would be a great addition!  I have been wanting to set up a second feed for Naha, but just don't have the equipment right now.