Author Topic: Might wanna get the winnipeg feeds up asap  (Read 7685 times)

Offline Canadian eh

Might wanna get the winnipeg feeds up asap
« on: May 11, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
rumour has it that there is a Herc and some choppers looking for a American home built plane that went down some where around geraldton (ygq), about 130NM north/north east of thunderbay.

Offline Canadian eh

Re: Might wanna get the winnipeg feeds up asap
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »
http://www.seqair.com/Hangar/Hume/FirstFlight/FirstFlight.html

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/AmateurBuilt/1792.htm

theres a couple links to pictures and stories about a plane that crashed on the 11Th of may, 2008. have yet to find any stories about the crash on the net though, just about the plane its self. looks like the Winnipeg freq were down during this time so there is no audio. he iced up at 11000 north of yqt on a yqk>yuy track. descended to 5000 and then reported he couldn't maintain alt. and was going down. he was given a heading, freq. (because he was descending out of signal coverage), clearance to land at the the only airport in the area (cygq- geraldton which was about 40 miles away). his last words on the freq was "were going down". i really wish none of you ever have to hear the way that sounds over the freq. it turns your gut. aircraft in the area where told to dial up the guard freq. and sure enough there was a elt going off. s@r Herc came from traverse city i think and a couple choppers where sent from thunder bay (about 120 NM SW of YGQ). his elt put out a lat/long and the plane was found half summerged within something like 4.7 miles of the lat/long. the woods where so thick where he crashed they had to drop a couple guys out of the chopper with chain saws to cut down trees so the chopper had a place to set down. the vv was 007 at ygq and how they ever found this plane is beyond me. the guy is alive suffering from hypothermia. probably the only thing that saved this guys life is the fact his elt put out a lat/long. and there has been evacuation flights going from yqt to yat that pretty much go right over top of geraldton, which inturn gave good elt hits.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »
This is a prime example of why Transport Canada is mandating 406Mhz ELTs next year.

The old 121.5Mhz one would not have given an exact location.

Offline bootman

• FLY WESTJET
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:02:02 PM »
Hello, I am speaking on behalf of 16 people who would indeed like to know if winnipeg feeds will ever be up and running again? please help us out! any info would be appreciated!

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:57:01 PM »
Hello, I am speaking on behalf of 16 people who would indeed like to know if winnipeg feeds will ever be up and running again? please help us out! any info would be appreciated!

No need to spam our forums.  I've removed your other duplicate posts.  Feeds are provided on a volunteer basis.  If there are updates from the feeder, he/she will post them.