airtraffic

Author Topic: CYYZ / CZYZ Will be offline for a while.  (Read 8864 times)

Offline Tom56

CYYZ / CZYZ Will be offline for a while.
« on: June 07, 2008, 08:14:25 AM »
Sorry about the shutdown folks. My central air has gone for a dump and I'm shutting down all heat sources. I'm hoping the repair guy gets here today but I'm not holding my breath. Be back as soon as possible.  :-(

Offline m50

Re: CYYZ / CZYZ Will be offline for a while.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:59:49 AM »
That is what happens with the first heatwave of the summer...yesterday 
it hit 33 degrees in Toronto...boy it felt hot to a visiting Irishman !!!   M50

Offline Jacko

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:31:54 AM »
That is what happens with the first heatwave of the summer...yesterday 
it hit 33 degrees in Toronto...boy it felt hot to a visiting Irishman !!!   M50

Hmm thats warm, but compared to aussie standards it aint that warm.

Just a tip, taking off your PCs case can actually decrease the cooling efficiency. In the summer I run with the right side on the case, and have the front panel and right panel taken off, for some reason it actually keeps the system that couple of degrees cooler. The only downside to doing this though is dust will settle in the system easier.

Stay cool folks.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 11:09:19 AM »
Sorry about the shutdown folks. My central air has gone for a dump and I'm shutting down all heat sources. I'm hoping the repair guy gets here today but I'm not holding my breath. Be back as soon as possible.  :-(

Sorry to read that.  A couple of summers ago our central A/C also took a dump on the first day of the hottest week of the summer.  A supposed trusted company stopped out on that Saturday and the 20-year experienced tech declared the compressor dead.  He told me due to demand he couldn't be back for a week to replace the compressor. 

A day later I called a small, local tech, explained what this other company determined and told him to come by to quote me a new compressor.  He stopped by the following day and discovered it was only a capacitor that had blown, or a US $90 repair.  The unit was back up and running within 30 minutes.   Later that week I called the first company that had tried to sell me a compressor (about a US $4,000 expense) over a blown capacitor to tell them not only was I firing them, but I would take at least five of their customers with me.

Two days of no A/C when temps were around 98 degrees F is enough to renew appreciation of the technology.

Hope you are back up and running soon and make sure it is really the compressor and not the capacitor, if that is what the problem is!

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 03:03:48 PM »
Heat wave at 33°C = 91.4 °F  ??    I would not even turn on the A/C at 91 degrees  LOL  that sounds nice & cool to me :-)

I am a experienced A/C tech so if you need any help please let me know VIA PM 

You most likely could have fixed it yourself and saved $$$$

BTW compressors don't cost anywhere near $4,000 a good compressor would cost less then $350 and capacitors are easy to test or just replace since they only cost about 5 to10 bucks !

Sorry to hear you had to shutdown your PC but I hope all is ok now

Good Night and Good Luck
From KB6HLM Las Vegas, NV
live webcam at www.camradio.net

PS
I just looked at my inside temp and its exactly 91 degrees !  the A/C is off
Well like I said 91 feels cool to me :-)

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »
BTW compressors don't cost anywhere near $4,000 a good compressor would cost less then $350 and capacitors are easy to test or just replace since they only cost about 5 to10 bucks !

US $350 for a central air conditioner compressor capable of cooling a house of 3,000 square feet (3-5 ton unit or so)?  Post a link here and I will be sure to shop them next time I an in need.  Around these parts a window-mounted, room A/C unit capable of cooling only about 500 square feet sells for more than $350, more like $500.

I will agree that a capacitor is probably around $10 or so, but $90 for a tech to stop out and honestly replace it after being told by me to quote a new compressor deserved the house call fee and a lifetime of business.

As far as temperature, humidity makes all the difference in comfort.  What is the humidity in Las Vegas?

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 09:51:02 PM »
humidity ?  LOL  ya but it's a dry heat !   boy if I only had a nickel every time I heard that :-)

Anyway sorry if I miss spoke about the compressor price (that was misleading) about $350 is what I pay and no I won't post any links here :-)

O and yes $90 was a good deal, I hope you got his name and offered him something to drink he sounds like a honest man.

Take care my friend
Glenn,

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 09:54:21 PM by KB6HLM »

Offline Tom56

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 06:38:50 AM »
Back online for now. Went out and got 3 window units for $80 a pop then turned on the furnace fan. It seems to be doing the job for now. The guy that looks after my A\C actually does Commercial/ Industrial so he's just a wee bit busy to come and play with our little cooler unit.  :-) It was stinkin hot the last 2 days but hey I was suffering in my pool,  :-P Hope you are enjoying the weekend.
Tom

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 09:20:25 AM »
humidity ?  LOL  ya but it's a dry heat !   boy if I only had a nickel every time I heard that :-)

My father lived for many years just down the road from you in Palm Springs, California.  Dry heat there, too.  :)

Anyway sorry if I miss spoke about the compressor price (that was misleading) about $350 is what I pay and no I won't post any links here :-)

Ah ha!  Inside pricing.  You techs are really paying that little for compressors?    Nice profit margin.  Will have to keep that in mind during future negotiations.   :evil:

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 01:53:37 PM »
33C may not sound hot to you, but when you factor in the humidity here in toronto, it can "feel like" 41C (and it did on that particular day).

Check out the humidex readings for the past few days on the graph at:

http://www.quickweather.ca/cgi-bin/get.cgi?id=YYZ

Offline Jacko

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 09:33:13 PM »
33C may not sound hot to you, but when you factor in the humidity here in toronto, it can "feel like" 41C (and it did on that particular day).

Check out the humidex readings for the past few days on the graph at:

http://www.quickweather.ca/cgi-bin/get.cgi?id=YYZ

Ok, thats getting warm, the warmest I have been in is about 46C, but I agree the humidity makes a huge difference. Here in Adelaide when its hot its usually sticky as well which = yuck. I remember dad telling me stories of working in 50C heat, but he said it was dry heat so it was not that bad, as the sweat cools you off but dries and doesn't leave you with that sticky feeling.  :-D

Offline m.scholasticus

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 09:55:29 PM »
it was down last night during that big storm too, too bad, but i guess all that lightning had something to do with it. i feel your pain with the heat tho, the daytime is hot enough,  the real problem is there is no relief overnight. The low goes down to maybe 24C but with the dewpoint around 20C the humidex is still at over 30C! my apartment has no ac right now and let me tell u it makes things very unpleasant. i would love for some of that dry heat but in this part of NA we almost never get it.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 05:50:49 AM »
Has their been a post or something deleted from this thread??