Author Topic: Microburt Alert at SFO, all arrivals were turned away at 7pm PST  (Read 2876 times)

Offline GaiusFrakkinBaltar

Microburt Alert at SFO, all arrivals were turned away at 7pm PST
« on: November 26, 2019, 10:07:46 PM »
Hey all. The moment I started listening, I hear the controller come on and quickly tell everyone that there is a micro-burst at the airport. Two aircraft were turned away immediately, and a 3rd aircraft, an A380, just went around. Things are crazy at SFO right now.

The A380 had a windshear alert, plus/minus 28 knots or so. Now they had a major wind shift and are changing configuration.

Yikes, they also just had to tell a TACA that they had a low altitude alert, and gave them an altimeter reading. The pilots radioed back and clarified the altimeter. Looks as though they had the wrong altimeter in, that's scary.

If you want to go back and listen, it was literally the top of the hour, 7pm PST.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:25:49 PM by GaiusFrakkinBaltar »

Offline wiedehopf

Re: Microburt Alert at SFO, all arrivals were turned away at 7pm PST
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 05:54:17 AM »
Low altitude alerts are not necessarily indicative of a wrong altimeter reading.

If they are following the ILS glideslope a wrong altimeter setting will only change the minimums for the approach, not the flight path.

Low altitude alerts often happen due to high sinkrate which is not necessarily an issue if the pilots want that high sinkrate or/and if it's temporary.

Offline tyketto

Re: Microburt Alert at SFO, all arrivals were turned away at 7pm PST
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »
Hey all. The moment I started listening, I hear the controller come on and quickly tell everyone that there is a micro-burst at the airport. Two aircraft were turned away immediately, and a 3rd aircraft, an A380, just went around. Things are crazy at SFO right now.

The A380 had a windshear alert, plus/minus 28 knots or so. Now they had a major wind shift and are changing configuration.

Yikes, they also just had to tell a TACA that they had a low altitude alert, and gave them an altimeter reading. The pilots radioed back and clarified the altimeter. Looks as though they had the wrong altimeter in, that's scary.

If you want to go back and listen, it was literally the top of the hour, 7pm PST.

In addition to this, KOAK lost power for an hour last night during the same timeframe, 0200Z-0300Z. All arrivals diverted, with 8 aircraft (7 pax, 1 cargo) diverting here to KSMF.

Again, all of this available in the archives as well.

BL.