airtraffic

Author Topic: Metar on site  (Read 11935 times)

Offline cow_town_guy

Metar on site
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:48:36 PM »
Hey guys.

First time poster long time fan...

Just wondering how I can go about putting text Metars on my website?  I have a site I put together for local use and I wanted to get an updateable Metar readout on the site.  Exactly like you guys have on the live feeds page.  Just a single simple line of metar text.  Nothing fancy with maps and charts and the such.

Any idea how to do it??

thanks guys

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
Re: Metar on site
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 09:52:31 AM »
I use PHP Weather.  There are many, many similar apps I'm sure.

Offline cow_town_guy

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 12:45:19 PM »
I actually tried that but I couldnt get it to work.  Im not a php master and I didnt find that the instructions were well written at all. 

If anybody uses php weather and doesnt mind giving me a quick how to it would be much appreciated.

thanks

dontsayuhoh

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:48:10 PM »
I tried the same thing with the same problem.  I have some php on my site but its all on there because of very good user guides.  The phpweather guide takes too much for granted.  I understand that its freeware and an assumption has been made that the user would know a bit about installing php.  but i dont lol

anyways.. I just want to get my citys Metar in raw format and only the metar to display and constantly update when new ones come out on my site.

if anybody can help I would much appreciate it..

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 10:01:30 AM »
You do have to have php installed on your server.  That's something your hosting provider has to do.  PHPWeather works right out of the box.  Just unpack all the files and bring up index.php in your browser and you should be pulling up METARs right away.

You do have a bit of php programming knowledge if you want to incorporate it into a page on your site.  Look at the sample code they provide and hack it up to fit on one of your own pages.   I can't really help with that.

dontsayuhoh

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 04:01:32 PM »
k.. took the whole day today to figure this stuff out.  I put together a bit of a how to if anybody is interested.  It is only for if you want to get the RAW Metar somewhere on your site.. enjoy!

http://www.cyow.ca/phpweatherhowto.htm

Offline LORm

• blue ball machines are fun.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 12:09:20 AM »
Nice tutorial. Bookmarked  :-)

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 09:04:03 AM »
Very nice, and precise  :-D

sure to be used on a website of mine in the future.