Author Topic: memphis feed?  (Read 31046 times)

Offline bjen9337

memphis feed?
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:24:04 PM »
I always wonder why there is no feed from Memphis, since it is the home of FedEx, and a major hub for NWA/DAL. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline thedude

Re: memphis feed?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »
I've actually been in the process of trying to get one up. I have the atenna..I just need to hook up a PC and scanner to it. I'm not close to the airport, but am within 6 miles or so. Gald I saw this..hopefully, it'll give me some incentive to finish this little project and get this feed going.

kea001

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:16:23 AM »
Yeah go for it. I wonder if you could pick up Memphis Center? That would be bonus, I must say.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:11:16 AM »
We had a possible Memphis feed, but I think it fell through for now.  Contact me via the contact form once you're ready!

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 12:22:10 PM »
I'd love to set one up myself but I live too far from the airport...about 23 miles.  And my wife has already vetoed my idea of putting a J-pole on my house.  If anyone lives close to the airport, like in Southaven ot Memphis I'd be happy to donate some money, equipment, and/or labor to help set it up.

The only ZME freqs you could receive from Memphis would be MEM High 118.62, and SIK Ultra-high 133.12.

Other good locations for a ZME feed would be Little Rock AR, Greenville or Jackson MS, Fayetteville AR (whatever happened to the FYV feed?), Meridian MS, Nashville TN, Tupelo MS.

Offline byoungblood

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »
If the house I am renting will permit it, I will be moving my Atlanta feed to Memphis when I relocate there in about 6-7 weeks to work at ZME. It may take a week or three to get things set up, since it will be low on the priority list with unpacking and studying maps for whatever area I have been assigned to.

Offline afink

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
ANy progress on the Memphis feed????

Offline rpellicciotti

• Rocket-Boys
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 02:47:04 PM »
We had a possible Memphis feed, but I think it fell through for now.  Contact me via the contact form once you're ready!

I was just about ready to do it.  I had tested my equipment and everything but then we got a deal on a place that was further out.  I moved about 25 miles away and I just don't think we can pull it off from here.

I actually approached my boss about doing it from work ( I work for a major package carrying airline).  I would provide the equipment and work would provide the bandwidth.  We ran into a roadblock with the network security people.  They wouldn't go for it.

As mentioned in other messages, I would be happy to help with some cash, maybe some equipment and technical expertise (30 year IT guy and pilot) if someone can do it.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »
I am working a few leads.  Will follow up when I have something solid.

Dave

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 08:20:24 PM »
Until then if you're interested in FedEx operations listen to the KORK feedhttp://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=kork.  They have ZME frequencies for CWS-High and LIT-Uh and although it isn't the busiest arrival gate it is interesting.

Offline bugalou

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:06:18 AM »
I would like to setup one up.  I live just south of the airport.  I have the technical know-how and an extra PC, but I don't have the antenna or scanner at the moment.  Hopefully I can find a good deal on those soon and hop on it.

Offline rpellicciotti

• Rocket-Boys
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 12:18:08 PM »
Fortunately, you don't need a real fancy scanner for aircraft monitoring.  I have a Radio Shack Discone antenna that I will donate to the project if that will help.

Offline rebel66

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 01:18:45 AM »
I lived there in the Hickory Hills area in the late 90's. Between the hours of 11PM and 2AM, this was an audio-aerial ballet. Final approach for runway 27 ran parallel to my house. It was a nuisance until I located the frequencies for the handoffs and could track the arrivals all the down. Geeky? Damned right, but it was better than counting sheep.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 04:07:05 AM »
Expect a Memphis feed in early March +/-

Offline bjen9337

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 02:09:50 PM »
Yay!  :-D

Offline bjen9337

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
Any further updates on the Memphis feed coming on line?

Offline bugalou

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 05:17:15 PM »
Any further updates on the Memphis feed coming on line?

I should have it up this week.  I have been working with Dave on getting the equipment setup (who has been super helpful btw).  I got everything hooked up today and in it's place.  Now it is just a matter of configuring the software.

The signal is very good and should provide some good content for this site.  Get use to hearing FedEx ### heavy though :) .

Offline bugalou

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 09:19:25 AM »
Just wanted to update everyone.
The feed is up and streaming.  We are having some signal issues but I  have finally gotten the antenna into a place that picks up the planes and ATC to a point where you can hear them.  I will be installing a directional antenna in the next week or so, so that will help a good bit.  

I am not sure if Dave will be putting this stream up now, or wait until I get the directional antenna.  Either way it should be up and going soon.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 09:06:35 PM »
It will be up soon.  Then we will get the reception further improved.

Offline ridge

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »
O U T S T A N D I N G  !!!!!!!!!

Offline bugalou

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 08:38:24 PM »

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »
Neat!  8-)

I clicked the link to check it out just now, and whats the first transmission I hear?? "Cleared to land, Fed Ex 632 Heavy."  :wink:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:43:03 AM by joeyb747 »

Offline bugalou

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 02:31:11 PM »
Neat!  8-)

I clicked the link to check it out just now, and whats the first transmission I hear?? "Cleared to land, Fed Ex 632 Heavy."  :wink:

Just wait till Sunday / Monday evening.  KMEM is a bit different from most other airports.  It is usually much more busy over night than during the day due to FedEx.  They literally take over the airport once the sun goes down!  You can go an hour and not hear another airline's call sign.

Hopefully the night owls on here will note anything interesting happening for those of us with day jobs.  :-D

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »
Neat!  8-)

I clicked the link to check it out just now, and whats the first transmission I hear?? "Cleared to land, Fed Ex 632 Heavy."  :wink:

Just wait till Sunday / Monday evening.  KMEM is a bit different from most other airports.  It is usually much more busy over night than during the day due to FedEx.  They literally take over the airport once the sun goes down!  You can go an hour and not hear another airline's call sign.

Hopefully the night owls on here will note anything interesting happening for those of us with day jobs.  :-D

Right! Purple Tails everywhere!  :lol:

Offline bugalou

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »
Storm that just came through here knocked out power.  I should have the stream back up shortly.