Author Topic: Lufthansa Cargo MD11 crash  (Read 11940 times)

alltheway

Lufthansa Cargo MD11 crash
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:40:24 AM »
Today I read about a Lufthansa Cargo MD11 crash in Saudi Arabia, the pilots are alive but taken to a hospital.  Sad that this is the third MD11 in short time, Japan, China and now this one !

Pictures after the crash are taken, but the website is in the arab language. . .

http://www.alriyadh.com/2010/07/27/article547329.html

AvHerald story here: http://www.avherald.com/h?article=42edca16&opt=0

I think this is it, MD11's shall be outsourced and never fly again   :|

[edit] Finnair sold their two last remaining MD11's to a US lease company, so they don't have MD11's anymore. . .  :x
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:09:07 PM by alltheway »

Offline laylow

Re: Lufthansa Cargo MD11 crash
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »
Wonder if it bounced, like the one in Japan. 

alltheway

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:19:51 AM »
Wonder if it bounced, like the one in Japan.  

I wasn't there, but a MD11 has 1001 ways to land hard. . .  :evil:

When they land hard it defenitely will bounce due it's center gear but maybe once or twice and when there is no gusting winds you can make it in, but like Japan there was a 50 knots gusty winds or so... . . . :mrgreen:

From there on they could have gone around like a touch and go and land with the center gear up (if it still works), but they always forget that. . .  

Offline speedotann

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:17:25 AM »
The right wing looks in tact. Not flipped over! Wonder what went wrong!

alltheway

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:17:48 PM »
The left wing looks also intact, so it din't flipped over to left either  :roll:

That Japanese thing did a left roll if you look at the video's at Youtube. . .

Offline speedotann

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 10:42:54 AM »
I believe there was also a FEDEX MD10 in like 2000 or 2002 that landed hard and broke the gear! Here is the FAA animation!

B

alltheway

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 05:52:54 PM »
I am just wondering if the crew would be convicted when it determines  to be their fault? They have a strict sharia law there and when convicted they might be beheaded or so?

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
According to the updated Avherald article, they had a hard landing, and damaged the landing gear. That caused the airplane to veer off the runway, break in two, and burst into flames.

"The undercarriage of the aircraft was severly damaged in the landing causing the airplane to veer off the runway. The impact caused the fire on board.

The NTSB reported on Jul 31st, that the aircraft "reportedly caught fire after a hard landing at the King Khalid International Airport, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia". "

Some observers on the ground claim the aircraft was trailing smoke while on approach, indicating a fire on board prior to landing, including officials at the airport.

"Observers on the ground said, that the airplane was already trailing smoke while on final approach."

"Saudi Arabia's Civil Aviation Authority (GACA) confirmed on Jul 27th the crew arriving from Frankfurt (Germany) declared emergency reporting a cargo fire inside the aircraft while on approach and landed at 11:38L (08:38Z). An investigation is under way."

"Officials of Riyadh Airport said on Jul 29th, that the crew reported a cargo fire while on approach, emergency services immediately deployed and observed the airplane arrive in thick black smoke before the airplane touched down on the runway."

Lufthansa disagrees...

"Lufthansa Cargo said on Jul 30th, that they have no indication of an inflight fire."

All of the above is from the updated Avherald article:

http://avherald.com/h?article=42edca16&opt=0
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:24:15 PM by joeyb747 »

Offline sykocus

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »
I am just wondering if the crew would be convicted when it determines  to be their fault? They have a strict sharia law there and when convicted they might be beheaded or so?

convicted of what exactly that would warrant capital punishment? i didn't hear about anyone dying.

alltheway

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 04:43:35 AM »

convicted of what exactly that would warrant capital punishment? i didn't hear about anyone dying.

I don't know much of the sharia laws, if they take it more into conspiracy then this Lufthansa is not muslim and so an unbeliever who attacked Saudi, and of course the sharia has nothing about deathly accidents, just when it suits them to convict someone they will. . .

Offline speedotann

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »
WoW... Convicted for having a cargo fire.... Hard landing.... No one killed or seriously hurt... If they convicted these pilots, do you really think any kind of Western influence would want to go there anymore? Your speculating too much. It is not like a woman cheated on her husband!!