airtraffic

Author Topic: ATC and gov't dress code  (Read 6695 times)

Offline tyketto

ATC and gov't dress code
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:14:52 PM »
Saw this while browing through NPR's website. While it mainly talks about negotiations between ATC and the government/FAA, I found the blurb about the dress code rather funny.

LH, and guys here, if you are doing this, I don't know if I want to see pics of you guys!  :-D  :mrgreen:

Enjoy!

BL.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11778617

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11596252

P.S. Audio included with the links.

Offline LHP50

Re: ATC and gov't dress code
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:02:19 PM »
tyketto, I for one do not mind the dress code.  I normally dress well within the guidelines although at 116 it does get rather warm.  The problems with the "Contract" (look up the defintion of the word, it requires agreement) are much deeper than that.
LH (no one wants to see me in a dress or without one)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 08:59:55 PM by LHP50 »

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 08:43:40 PM »
tyketto, I for one do not mind the dress code.  I normally dress well within the guidelines although at 116 it does get rather warm.  The problems with the "Contract" (look up the defintionn of the word, it requires agreement) are much deeper than that.
LH (no one wants to see me in a dress or without one)

Don't get me wrong; I absolutely agree that it is a LOT deeper than what NPR reported. I just thought the reponse to that by active controllers was a bit hilarious..

If we all had a nickel everytime we saw a controller walking into a facility in an Ann Taylor pink dress... we'd have a dime. ;)

BL.

Offline digger

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 02:59:31 PM »
This was discussed way back when, in this thread::http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php/topic,2310.0.html

And Tyketto, it even has a link to some pics.  :-)

To the working controllers on the board--Is this still going on to the same degree, or is NPR just really behind the times in reporting this now?

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »
To the working controllers on the board--Is this still going on to the same degree, or is NPR just really behind the times in reporting this now?

NPR is reporting September '06 news as far as kilts and dresses are concerned.  It was an initial protest.  There are still several controllers displaying their own forms of protest.  Wearing all black is one way that many are achieving this.  Goodwill shopping sprees for loud clothing which does not match or fit well is another.  Several of our controllers have found matching $1 golf polo shirts in XXXL sizes at a surplus store.  They are flight strip green.  I own several and many others wear theirs daily.  We wrinkle them up if they come from the dryer too neat.  Just hang them in our lockers.

w0x0f 

Offline TrixieKQ

• Former controller from ZAB & ZBW.
    • Piper Wilson
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »

If we all had a nickel everytime we saw a controller walking into a facility in an Ann Taylor pink dress... we'd have a dime. ;)

BL.

Hey, I beg your pardon.  I've worn pink dresses to work bunches of times. 

Maybe the fact that I'm a girl makes it less shocking.  :wink:

Offline tyketto

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 03:14:49 PM »

BL.

Hey, I beg your pardon.  I've worn pink dresses to work bunches of times. 

Maybe the fact that I'm a girl makes it less shocking.  :wink:

Touche! :)

BL.