Author Topic: Looking for a new handheld  (Read 16338 times)

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Looking for a new handheld
« on: December 01, 2004, 08:19:32 PM »
Hello All.  I'm looking for a new handheld with a fair amount of band coverage.  I currently own a Uniden BC780XLT, which I find to be an exceptional scanner, but not mobile enough for me.  I was looking at the Uniden BC80XLT because of it's band range and full handheld capability.

Any suggestions??

Jason

Offline pocho

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 01:36:52 AM »
Hey Jason, how about the Pro-95 from RadioShack? I've heard nothing but good things about it!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F009%5F010%5F003&product%5Fid=20%2D525

:D

pocho

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 07:31:04 AM »
I'm looking for something with only 50 or 100 channels.  Nothin fancy.  I also want to keep my cost near or below $100.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the info pocho.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 07:57:14 AM »
Quote from: Flyinguy1120
I'm looking for something with only 50 or 100 channels.  Nothin fancy.  I also want to keep my cost near or below $100.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the info pocho.

eBay.

Radio Shack Pro-95's can be had for under $100.  Nice scanner.

Also, if you are interested in covering the military UHF band, check out used Radio Shack Pro-43's...they can be had for well under $100.

Both work well.

Dave

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 03:16:27 PM »
Hey.  Thanks for the info Dave.

Always appreciate hearing from you,

Jason

Offline LORm

• blue ball machines are fun.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 03:32:23 PM »
Hello All. I'm looking for a new handheld with a fair amount of band coverage. I currently own a Uniden BC780XLT, which I find to be an exceptional scanner, but not mobile enough for me. I was looking at the Uniden BC80XLT because of it's band range and full handheld capability.

Kinda funny, my personal scanner is a PRO-95 and I'm currently looking for and interested in a BC780XLT. I want a base/mobile with UHF airband and the 780XLT looks like a good scanner without going all out and paying for a rather expensive wideband scanner. Wanna trade?  :lol: J/K.

My PRO-95 is still at RS tech, and I've been making due with a friend's handheld, but today he wanted to go out spotting and grabbed it so the feed for PHNL is down. The PRO-95 is a good scanner, I just wonder if I was too tough on the buttons as I want a base scanner I could control from the PC. They're pretty cheap right now. $149 at RS but you're getting more than you probably want as it's definitely for more than just airband.

Offline kneecaps

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 06:09:20 PM »
what external aerials do you all use? I've been reading and it seems Discone type antenna are highly recommended.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 07:16:45 AM »
Thanks for the concern, but I don't need an antenna.  I already have a discone.  I'm looking for a mobile scanner to bring along with me to certain areas.

Jason

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 04:28:43 PM »
Hey LORm.  I must have skipped your post.  I fell in love with the BC780XLT when I recieved it the first day a couple years back.  It's a little on the high-priced side, but a great 27 band scanner!  It has Trunk Tracking III and the Alpha tags with all 500 channels make it a great scanner.  I use it more base than mobile as you can tell.  The power supply and the scanner density makes it more optical for a base use.

Jason