airtraffic

Author Topic: LiveATC on iPhone iOS4  (Read 18509 times)

Offline Longhornmaniac8

LiveATC on iPhone iOS4
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »
Hi dave,

I was wondering if we could expect an update to the iPhone app to take advantage of the now-available multitasking anytime soon? The Safari update was nice to allow us to listen without the app running, but now that we've got full-fledged (well, sort of) multitasking, it'd be nice to have it on the LiveATC app.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Cameron

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: LiveATC on iPhone iOS4
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »
Soon.  We have been testing and refining for several days.

Offline Longhornmaniac8

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 06:05:34 PM »
Outstanding! Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Cameron

Offline cptbrw

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »
Now, if we could get that Android app out the door .................. :-D

Offline Phlux

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »
Or the BlackBerry one..... :mrgreen:

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »
Are there any plans of changing the LiveATC.net iPhone app to free, instead of $2.99?  Or at least put it on Free-App-A-Day?  

Before anyone claims the price is low, that's not the deal.  Yes, I understand $2.99 is pocket change.  But, it just seems kind of odd to have to pay for something that we get for free on the site.  If it was made free, and included a small ad banner at the bottom, I'd be happy to download.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:34:54 PM by cessna157 »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »
Are there any plans of changing the LiveATC.net iPhone app to free, instead of $2.99?  Or at least put it on Free-App-A-Day? 

Before anyone claims the price is low, that's not the deal.  Yes, I understand $2.99 is pocket change.  But, it just seems kind of odd to have to pay for something that we get for free on the site.  If it was made free, and included a small ad banner at the bottom, I'd be happy to download.

The site is not free to run.  The iPhone app sales help support the site.  LiveATC sponsors and runs many of the larger feed sites and will continue to do so.  Ads alone will not fund that or the growing amount of bandwidth used.

This is unfortunately one of the issues with the internet, and one that will change somewhat in the future.  Not everything is (or will be) free.

I'll be happy to send you a free copy if that helps your philosophical predicament.  I'm totally serious.

That being said, it's always possible that a free/ad-supported version might be available in the future.   I can't comment further on that right now but there is no definitive plan around it.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Eric M

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
I think we have an apples-to-oranges comparison here. Yes, we can currently access LiveATC for free by computer (which helps generate ad revenue for the site), but using the iPhone app is not only NOT a revenue generator, but it's also a major luxury and convenience, as are most things on the iPhone. (At least, on my iPhone.)

Then add to that the fact that developers like Dave spend countless hours and sleepless nights writing code, debugging, testing, and then going through Apple's approval process before the app even hits the store. Philosophically, I think $3 is a bargain both for the app, and for saying thanks to a developer for giving me something additional to listen to in the car, or wherever I want.

Now, having said all of the above, I'm personally struggling with spending $99/year on the WingX app, even though it's cheaper than buying a Garmin Aera 410 outright. I will break down eventually and do it.

Offline mrhahn

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »
I'd consider $3 for something that gives me hours of entertainment a bargain! I easily spend twice that on a Starbucks  :-D

Offline Longhornmaniac8

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:43:22 AM »
Hey Dave,

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it's been a couple of weeks now, and I was just wondering what the status of the new OS compatible update is?

Hopefully there hasn't been a hitch or anything!

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Cameron

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 06:20:22 AM »
Hey Dave,

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it's been a couple of weeks now, and I was just wondering what the status of the new OS compatible update is?

Hopefully there hasn't been a hitch or anything!

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Cameron

Scheduled to be submitted to Apple today.    There is a huge amount of testing involved with iOS 4 and multitasking.  Hopefully we eliminated all the bugs - testing has been pretty solid for the last few days.  Next step is to get it into more hands.  Expect it out in a few days in the App Store.

Offline Longhornmaniac8

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 11:24:26 AM »
Outstanding news, Dave! Thanks for the update!

Offline Eric M

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 05:08:06 PM »
Looking forward to testing it thoroughly!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
Submitted to Apple earlier this week but we found some odd edge cases so pulled the submission until we resolve the issues.  I expect we'll have it resubmitted by early next week.

Offline B777ER

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 05:21:43 AM »
Not to knock the IPhone fanboys  :wink: but how goes the Android app (seeing as how Android is far superior  :-D )?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 08:29:46 AM »
I don't comment on pending releases until they are in or near beta.  When there is more to report it will be reported.

And we don't need Apple vs. Android debate here.  There are plenty of forums for that.  This is not one of them.

Offline mfahey

• http://www.satdirectory.com
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 03:36:19 AM »
Someone earlier in the thread said "If it was made free, and included a small ad banner at the bottom, I'd be happy to download".

I will always pay for apps to avoid small ad banners! I don't mind paying at all for a clean non add supported user interface.

Offline Dave_B

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 04:06:07 PM »
Someone earlier in the thread said "If it was made free, and included a small ad banner at the bottom, I'd be happy to download".

I will always pay for apps to avoid small ad banners! I don't mind paying at all for a clean non add supported user interface.

On an associated topic, hopefully you won't mind paying a premium once AT&T starts charging bandwidth hogs their fair share. I am not using that term personally toward you - it is just a common term for a heavy user. If a device and network allows people to listen streaming dead air for hours on end, that is a good thing, as long as normal users don't have to subsidize it.

Offline Eric M

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
On an associated topic, hopefully you won't mind paying a premium once AT&T starts charging bandwidth hogs their fair share.

Not necessarily, Dave. 80% of the time I use the LiveATC app on my iPhone, I'm accessing via wi-fi. It may be even more than 80%, but that number is a conservative estimate.

Offline Dave_B

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »
Cool - this was just sort of an "Economics 101" statement as opposed to any attack of ourselves, the ATC "COMM" enthusiasts.

AT&T obviously is having growing pains. Their fault mostly - not ours.

Offline tkasner

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 07:34:22 PM »
I enjoy the iPhone liveATC app, was very happy to pay $3.99 or whatever it was for it..

One small nit.. maybe it's just me. It seems that every time I pick up the phone after driving home listening to the local tower frequency, I seem to hit the trashcan and am greeted with "This channel has been removed from your favorites".
Every Time! I re-add it immediately, but now that freq is at the bottom of the favorites list instead of at the top.

Any chance that instead of the trashcan deleting from favorites and then giving a dialog box to ACK that it just did it (which I really didn't want), either remove the trashcan and implement the swipe to remove in the favorites list, or keep the trashcan and have it confirm you want to remove instead of ack that it just removed it. IE:
Remove KMYF Tower from Favorites? OK / Cancel. Upon OK, no further dialog is needed, just remove it.

Thanks for the great site, and the app!

Offline pinkpuffyshoes

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »
I have been listening to ZHU (New Orleans) on my iPhone and it seems like I am only getting half (the pilot's half I think) of the conversation.

Additionally, how do the frequencies work? Is the feed playing all of the frequencies at once? Is there a way I could narrow it down to one frequency?

Sorry to be a such a newbie.