airtraffic

Author Topic: LiveATC iPhone App Now Available  (Read 128644 times)

Offline joedog301

Re: LiveATC iPhone App Now Available
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2009, 08:07:25 PM »
Well just to update i looked in my available updates for my apps new version is showing up dave good job on the updates .

Offline tmpffisch

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2009, 02:36:06 AM »
1.1 works great.

Would it be possible to add the option for it to automatically open and start playing a pre-selected stream?  Rather than opening the app, going to favourites, selecting the one I always use, then hitting play?

Offline sykocus

« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2009, 07:09:45 AM »
The "nearby" feature causes the app to crash for me. There aren't any feeds that are particularly close to me, but I firgure a crash isn't exactly the desired result when such a problem

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2009, 07:36:46 AM »
We are already aware of the big and are submitting a fix to Apple.

Offline shortboarder

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »
Great job on the app - it's rock solid.

Three humble requests for the future:

1- AIRMET/SIGMET maps
2- Sector maps for reference (ie CAMRN, ROBER, JOLIET etc.)
3- Possibly move the Atlantic/Pacific Oceanic HF feeds under another heading (rather than the state) - they're a bit hard to find if you don't know where to look.

I'm not encountering the bug with "nearby" on a first gen iPhone, btw.

Offline Yuusada

« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2009, 01:16:23 PM »
I ran into a bit of a bug that's sounds similar to trouble others are having, based on reviews in the app store. Citizens hear me out, this could happen to you!

As of v1.1.0, the bottom button bar is now configurable. I figure that I would get rid of the "Home" button since it only gives me information that I'm already familiar with, and I'd much rather the space be used by a more useful function such as "Favorites" or "Nearby".

The moral of this story: Do not do this!

I didn't realize at the time, but it seems the app doesn't load the LiveATC database at startup unless "Home" is somewhere in that bottom button bar. It doesn't need to be the first one on the left, but it does need to be there. Suddenly all my favorites were being auto-removed, nothing would show up under U.S.A. or under "Countries" and the app would crash when I went to "Nearby" even though I live in the San Francisco bay area, nearby at least three major airports.

Everything went smooth again after I realized what was happening and put the button back. Ideally, the app would load the DB on start regardless of the configuration of the button bar. Another option, I supposes, is to make it such that the "Home" button cannot be removed, but I would find this solution less than optimal.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get poor Charlie off the M.T.A.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
Not sure what prompted this.  :-)  There is no such functionality as "...button bar is now configurable." 

Eventually the Home view in the app will become something else, but not quite yet.

Anyway, I found it interesting that you thought this was configurable.  :-)

Dave

I ran into a bit of a bug that's sounds similar to trouble others are having, based on reviews in the app store. Citizens hear me out, this could happen to you!

As of v1.1.0, the bottom button bar is now configurable. I figure that I would get rid of the "Home" button since it only gives me information that I'm already familiar with, and I'd much rather the space be used by a more useful function such as "Favorites" or "Nearby".

The moral of this story: Do not do this!

I didn't realize at the time, but it seems the app doesn't load the LiveATC database at startup unless "Home" is somewhere in that bottom button bar. It doesn't need to be the first one on the left, but it does need to be there. Suddenly all my favorites were being auto-removed, nothing would show up under U.S.A. or under "Countries" and the app would crash when I went to "Nearby" even though I live in the San Francisco bay area, nearby at least three major airports.

Everything went smooth again after I realized what was happening and put the button back. Ideally, the app would load the DB on start regardless of the configuration of the button bar. Another option, I supposes, is to make it such that the "Home" button cannot be removed, but I would find this solution less than optimal.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get poor Charlie off the M.T.A.

Offline sykocus

« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »
Not sure what prompted this.  :-)  There is no such functionality as "...button bar is now configurable." 

Eventually the Home view in the app will become something else, but not quite yet.

Anyway, I found it interesting that you thought this was configurable.  :-)

Dave

If you press More then Edit you can change what is available in the bottom menu bar. I think that is what he is talking about.

Offline Yuusada

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2009, 03:55:44 AM »

If you press More then Edit you can change what is available in the bottom menu bar. I think that is what he is talking about.

Indeed it is. I apologize for not being more clear. If you edit the buttons as shown in the screen caps and omit the "Home" button, bad things start to happen.

As for what brought this about... *shrug* It's just a bug report if you will. I absolutely love the app. I use it to practice my radio work by listening to local approach controllers.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:00:52 AM by Yuusada »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Thanks...will look into it more.  To be honest, I didn't even notice that functionality.  I guess we added it but not totally by design.  :-) 

Will have to look at that again because there is no real good use case for it right now.  So don't be surprised if it goes away. :-)

Offline dutchmil

• http://www.dutchmil.nl/CE2007
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2009, 08:05:53 PM »
Hi Dave,

I think the previous version was better, I could listen to feeds via a WiFi connection,
but the new version doesn't allow that anymore .....

Regards,

René.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2009, 02:46:54 PM »
The version doesn't care what kind of connection you are on - should work fine on WiFi.  Tested on many WiFi networks - contact me privately and we can figure out what is wrong on your end.

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2009, 02:50:05 PM »
The latest version works great with WiFi.  I have a 1st gen iPod Touch and WiFi is my only choice.

Offline cactus276

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2009, 03:36:53 AM »
Downloaded the app over Labor Day weekend, and I love it!
About the only problem I have is for some reason I can't tune YPPH.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 03:50:29 AM by cactus276 »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2009, 11:59:02 AM »
Downloaded the app over Labor Day weekend, and I love it!
About the only problem I have is for some reason I can't tune YPPH.

That is being worked on.  The feeder is streaming in the wrong format.

Offline nycrich

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2009, 09:58:54 PM »
Nice to use it while flying on commercial airlines with WiFi . Since scanners are now a big no-no.

Offline matucker18

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2009, 05:01:57 AM »
Any update on the Blackberry app?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »
Any update on the Blackberry app?

Not at this time.  When I have news I will post it.

Offline Suave

« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »
Sounds promising, however I'd like to know one thing before I buy it. And this is whether the feed continues after the screen is locked (ie. turned off). If it has to be on while you're listening thats no good on the battery.

Regards

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2009, 10:34:04 AM »
Yes, it continues to play after the screen is locked.

Offline Suave

« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »
Awesome. I don't know if its possible or not but is there any way in the future that Liveatc can be listened to on the iphone running in the background, so the user can do other things?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »
Awesome. I don't know if its possible or not but is there any way in the future that Liveatc can be listened to on the iphone running in the background, so the user can do other things?

If Apple ever allows other apps besides iTunes to play in the background.  Right now they don't.

Offline EdmontonFireRadio

• VE6EFR
    • Edmonton Fire Radio
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2009, 05:13:16 PM »
Dave,

Try listening to the feed directly off of the LiveATC server with your iPhone instead of using the app. I know with our feed for the Edmonton Fire Department, if a user goes to our website with the Safari browser and selects the icon to listen, it will launch the built in media player. If you are able to listen to the feed directly off of the LiveATC server you may be able to enable a background play mode from within the application. Keep in mind, this will only work if a person has a firmware version of 3.0 or later.

Just a thought.

Offline Suave

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2009, 01:38:58 AM »
With the new update, if you go into 'More' and select something under that tab, you can't get back to the original list of things under 'More' without rebooting the App, as far as I can see. Possible bug? - Or perhaps intentional.