Author Topic: Live ATC in french  (Read 31016 times)

Offline ZHB

Live ATC in french
« on: August 05, 2004, 01:10:54 PM »
Good evening

Is somebody know a site to listen tofrench ATC and on line?

thank you (sorry for mistakes)

Offline phat_farm

Live ATC in french
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 03:42:12 PM »
if u mean controllers talking in french then no, i'm pretty sure english is required for ATC communication.  if ur talking about a live feed from France then there is none online at the moment.  i reckon its illegal in france like it is in england.  otherwise with so many people in france let alone paris there would have to be atleast one who is willing to give us a live feed.  i'm not sure if it is illegal or not.  anyway just hope one day it'll come.

Offline jhjemvick

• http://www.5urrealism.com
Live ATC in french
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 11:52:21 PM »
Quote from: phat_farm
if u mean controllers talking in french then no, i'm pretty sure english is required for ATC communication.  if ur talking about a live feed from France then there is none online at the moment.  i reckon its illegal in france like it is in england.  otherwise with so many people in france let alone paris there would have to be atleast one who is willing to give us a live feed.  i'm not sure if it is illegal or not.  anyway just hope one day it'll come.

Not true

If you are say flying in a country and the national language is say French, and you and your initial call up and subsequent call ups converse in French, the ATC will also converse in French.  English is the international language of aviation, but if you are in a country that has a different language (such as Spanish, French, German, Arabic, etc.) and you use their national language, the controllers will also use it with you, while using English with other pilots.  I hope that makes sense.

Offline airbus380

Live ATC in french
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 07:46:30 AM »
hello ZHB,

I'm a french controller so it will be easy to answer your question: for now there is no possibility to listen to live atc from France but i don't think it's illegal.Perhaps in a close future it will be possible.
 About the langage used by us with the pilots: it's french or english.In fact a controller speaks at the same time in english to international pilots and in french with pilots of Air France...that causes in fact some problems of comprehension because pilots don't understand all that the controller says... so there is a project (but it's just a project) which recommends to use only english langage: but it will not happen before about 10 years I think...

Offline ZHB

Live ATC in french
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 05:55:06 PM »
ok, thank you for your answers.

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Montreal Center
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 08:39:35 PM »
Good day.  I do listen to Montreal ACC in french and english, depending on the pilot.  It's fun hearing the weather and ATC instructions in french.  It's like trying a different flavor.

Offline Sirclown82

Live ATC in french
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 12:00:25 AM »
Yeah when I went to France, the controllers were speaking in French and English.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Live ATC in french
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 04:41:30 PM »
Quote from: sirclown82
Yeah when I went to France, the controllers were speaking in French and English.

Strictly from an aviation point of view, this must be difficult for all pilots on those frequencies.  Those that do not speak fluent French must have a hard time understanding the complete traffic picture of what is nearby and where they are going.

Looking back over the history of ATC, I am sure that more than one near miss incident or mid-air accident was prevented by an astute pilot who happened to hear on the frequency a discrepancy in the the traffic scenario about to unfold before him.

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Live ATC in french
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 10:02:14 PM »
Actually, the controllers from Montreal really roll their french accents in english, but I've never heard a pilot complain about the french accent.  I actually like it, so I can pick up on some french terminology, except for VOR which is the same in french.  However, they always say "Northwest 55, Montreal center bonjour, you are radar identified".

Falcon900

Re: French ATC
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 06:55:27 AM »
Over my many years of HF monitoring SP 6/7 frequencies it is quite common to hear the airlines of french nationality such as UTA, Air Caliadonia, Air Tahiti Nui, French Line  etc talking to Tahiti in French regarding operational matters and weather.

They change from Honolulu to Tahiti sector and once established take up the comms in there native language.

We all have our own views on this, but the French are the only ones that seem do it, even if they are a  long way from home on a small Pacific Island. All others use english.

Makes a change if nothing else.

Offline 71sbeetle

• Garey T. Martin Photography
Live ATC in french
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 11:50:49 AM »
I say why not, I mean communication is very important between ATC and A/C, so if it is a language that you understand better, now the problem is other A/C around that don't understand the language

Offline ListenIn

Re: Live ATC in french
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 02:08:19 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to pass my FCL 1.200 in French (Test to (officially) be able to speak French on the Radio).

So I wanted to hear if somebody could hook me up with some French radio calls preferably from CDG or ORY. A mix of Tour, sol et approche if possible.

Merci,

J.

Offline wptldn

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 04:48:39 AM »
Listen to Schipol and you hear a smattering of French, German, English and the lovely sing songy Dutch.  :-)

Offline 71sbeetle

• Garey T. Martin Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 09:47:50 AM »
I was back home in Tahiti last August, and let me tell you, doing the radio in French after doing it in English for over 7 years was VERY funny ! and hard !

Offline ListenIn

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »
Well here in Tahiti  8-) i have no problem understanding what is going on and communicating in French is not a biggie either.

But listening to the DGAC's (French CAA) tapes from CDG or ORY. Was pretty hard and of course CDG is unfamiliar territory. :?   

Offline Casper87

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 02:11:54 PM »
English IS now a requirement for ATCOs and Proffesional pilots.

As of March 2008 I believe. Apparently you have to reach a Level 4 ( out of 6 ) standard to get yourself an English proficieny ticket.  :-D

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 10:15:16 AM »
Remember the incident where a plane was essentially lost while taxiing at an airport in very low visibility? In the mean time, the controller cleared an aircraft for takeoff. The aircraft rejected the t/o clearance because he sensed that the other aircraft may have been a hazard.  Just as well, because the other aircraft was either on or right next to the runway (I don't quite recall, but it's a well published incident regarding runway incursions).

Had the controller been speaking in another language to either aircraft, the outcome could've been completely different.

A huge part of flying safely is keeping a high level of situational awareness.  Bi-lingual communication really hampers a pilot's ability to build a picture of what is going on. I'm a relatively low-time pilot (260 hours or so), and the idea of flying in airspace where I can't understand what a controller is saying to other planes is discomforting.

Offline Casper87

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 04:26:49 PM »
Absolutely correct sir! Coudnt have said it better myself.

What youve said about the incident but with different languages involved has actually happened before resulting in a collision. Not suprisingly it happened in Paris CDG

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 02:33:01 PM »
Ultimately though that incident would not have happened if the ATC in the tower had done its job properly... as an ATC trainee, I maintain that bilingual use in airspace does not ruin anything or make anything less safe (otherwise it would not be allowed...). It only places the ONUS on the controller to insure that pilots have the situational awareness that they need to do their job properly... while letting others fly in the language that they understand best... I would much rather speak to an inexperienced pilot in his more comfortable language to ensure that he will comply with the instruction given than to risk the misunderstanding that sometimes insues when speaking english to someone who's second language it is...