airtraffic

Author Topic: Live ATC chat  (Read 20946 times)

Offline andyp

Live ATC chat
« on: April 19, 2006, 10:14:14 AM »
First off im new here so Hey,

I think this site is great and I like listening to ATCs. I thought that it would be cool to have a chatroom where people could listen to the same feeds and discuss etc.

If anyone is interested I can set up a channel for people to join and chat with, all they would need to do is download MIRC ( http://www.mirc.com  )
or similar and input the channel details.

Let me know if any of you are interested.

andy

Offline Fra

Live ATC chat
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 12:23:47 PM »
If ya'll agree, I'm in.

flyMKEmilwaukee414

Live ATC chat
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 12:27:29 PM »
sounds cool count me in!   :D

flyMKEmilwaukee414

Live ATC chat
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:41:41 PM »
wow what channel are you in? Im confused.

Offline andyp

Live ATC chat
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »
ok sweet. I currently reside on freenode.  (irc.freenode.net)

freenode is an IRC network which allows users to connect and chat with each other.

All you gotta do is download an IRC client. Mirc is a popular one, you can find that here: http://www.mirc.com  

If you don't want to download an irc client (might be at work or something). Then you can use an online applet, here is a good one:  http://uhds.oregonstate.edu/~rubin/freenode/?channel=osu-resnet  with this all you gotta do is put in your nickname and the channel  which is called liveatc

Its better to use an irc client though, so for those of you who have downloaded the client just follow these simple instructions:

open mirc, go to tools - > options -> and highlight servers (which is under connect). Click Add. Where is says "description" put something like "freenode" where it says "irc server" put in irc.freenode.net

Once you are done click add and then click connect. Then all you do is join #liveatc, you do this by typing /join #liveatc

Offline andyp

Live ATC chat
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 03:44:09 PM »
cool we got a couple of people in the chat already.

any peeps having problems getting in the chat reply and I can give a better step by step tutorial if needed, it should be simple though.

cheers

flyMKEmilwaukee414

Live ATC chat
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 05:25:31 PM »
sorry but im not getting into it. can you do step by step.       im alittle slow today . i downloaded the mRIC. need more help....

thanks

Offline RatOmeter

Live ATC chat
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 01:37:50 PM »
If you use Mozilla FireFox as your browser, you might give the ChatZilla IRC client a try.  It's an addon available at https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=16

I find it much easier to use than mIRC (assuming you know your basic IRC commands, which I'll walk you through).

1. Fire up ChatZilla (in FireFox, Tools->Chatzilla)
2. in the box at the bottom (where you type to communicate), type:
     /attach irc.freenode.net

(wait til you see it say "End of /MOTD command.")

3. type: /join #liveatc

4. to change or set your nickname, type: /nick [whatever your nick is]

If it's already taken (registered) by someone else, try something different

5. You're in!

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Live ATC chat
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 10:35:11 PM »
I think it would be better to have a java application on the site no?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Live ATC chat
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:53:22 PM »
Quote from: Lezam
I think it would be better to have a java application on the site no?

Uh, no.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Live ATC chat
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 11:04:03 PM »
Quote from: dave

Uh, no.

lol, quick answer dave

I love those little apps, theres even one that can be directly plugged into phpbb with a calendar and all, if i remember correctly...

Offline RatOmeter

Live ATC chat
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 09:21:05 AM »
Well, the *concept* is neat, in practice, less so.  It usually serves to irritate the regulars in an IRC channel.

-->| webchat4278 has joined #LIVEATC

<webchat4278> Hello!

<--| webchat4278 has left #LIVEATC

-->| webchat1736 has joined #LIVEATC

-->| webchat8912 has joined #LIVEATC

<webchat8912> are u guys still mad at me

<RatOmeter> Don't know... who the heck are you?

<webchat1736> GET UR HERBAL V|AGRA HERE !!!!!111!!

Offline PHL Approach

Live ATC chat
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 12:19:52 PM »
The chat is not a liveatc.net sponsored activity. So if you have problems, I recommend working with the people that started the idea privately. Rather than posting about it in the listener forum.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Live ATC chat
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 12:56:42 PM »
Quote from: RatOmeter
<webchat1736> GET UR HERBAL V|AGRA HERE !!!!!111!!

Well, if the chat doesnt work out we still have the good 'ole forum. I think dave came up with that idea, worked out nicely  8) 8)  8)  8)  8)   yr welcome

Offline RatOmeter

Live ATC chat
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 04:27:39 PM »
Mmmm. Having a semi-unofficial IRC channel has done well for my renewable energy nut friends over at www.fieldlines.com  There's a link to the channel from that forum's main page and the proprieter stops in for a chat most days, though the IRC channel is not hosted or maintained by him.  I do understand and respect that folks shouldn't hassle the management about a "service" they don't provide or manage.

On another note, I'll be leaving my weather bot in the IRC channel for the time being.  His name is wx3 and he's not very smart (a little smarter than wx2, though;).

To ask the bot for weather conditions, type "-wx3" and then the name of the station.

Examples:

-wx3 kswo
<wx3> At 2:53:00p on 4/21/2006, KSWO at Stillwater Regional Airport reported 82 deg F
<wx3> Winds were N at 7 with gusts to 11. Humidity was 18%, dewpoint at 35 . Pressure 29.97s

-wx3 kjfk
<wx3> At 3:51:00p on 4/21/2006, KJFK at Kennedy International Airport reported 53 deg F
<wx3> Winds were ESE at 18 with gusts to 32. Humidity was 55%, dewpoint at 37 . Pressure 30.28s

Offline Tomato

Live ATC chat
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 12:45:27 AM »
One great thing about IRC is moderation... if people get on there, it's not bad at all.  What you might want to look at is managing who gets to be op/voice and everybody else.  Use the kick and ban feature, or better yet... the TROUT!  ;)

Offline Hobbyist

Live ATC chat
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 10:47:51 AM »
Does anyone know if the Northeast Sector of the Chicago Center is going on line or not? I have it downloaded, but it.s remaining down. Can anyone respond to it for me please? Thanks.
Thanks from Hobbyist.