Author Topic: UK Laws Query  (Read 7526 times)

Offline Panop

UK Laws Query
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:07:29 AM »
A hypothetical  :wink: question concerning the UK laws that prohibit unauthorised listening to or retransmitting of ATC radio.  :oops:

If someone had been extremely naughty :evil: in the very very distant past and listened in to UK ATC without permission and (gasp!) :-o actually recorded some of what they heard, does anyone imagine that the UK authorities would object to such recordings being made available so long after the event? :?

Offline Lincolnshireblue

Re: UK Laws Query
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 04:55:42 PM »
There's one way to find out....................................

Offline Chrizz

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »
If it was just general ATC being enjoyed by a couple of enthusiasts, then probably not. They've got far more interesting and important things to be doing I would imagine.

If however it was recordings from some kind of event, like a accident or something that wouldn't be good for the public to hear, then yes, I think they might object.

However, all just my opinion :)

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »
In general "the Authorities" don't care too much about people listening in to semi-public transmissions like ATC; it isn't worth to spend police time on verifying house by house what radio's people are listening to. Listening to ATC could be used to get an easy conviction if you attracted attention in other ways.
Publishing recordings is bound to attract attention from the authorities and being in possession of illegal recordings could cause you problems. Don't be stupid!

I agree that UK law is stupid, but you better spend your time lobbying than in prison. Our hobby isn't worth that.

Offline mag3

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 07:40:56 PM »
I agree that UK law is stupid, but you better spend your time lobbying than in prison. Our hobby isn't worth that.

Do you know if the UK law applied to Hong Kong when it was under British control and whether or not Hong Kong has any current restrictions under Chinese control?  It would seem not, since I am in posession of a DVD  promoting Chek Lap Kok airport which includes a portion of a tower broadcast.  But that could have been a special expemption. I recall (from listening to this DVD)  that the tower command "Position and Hold" translates in Hong Kong as "Line up and wait."

I think HKG would be a good foreign addition if it were possible.  There are a lot of private high rise apartments on Lantau Island near Chek Lap Kok which could be a feeder.

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 08:25:47 AM »
I am in posession of a DVD  promoting Chek Lap Kok airport which includes a portion of a tower broadcast.  But that could have been a special expemption.
It isn't too hard to apply for and get permission for a one-off recording. You might even get direct access to the tapes ATC makes for accident investigation and performance evaluation. Getting permission for unlimited redistribution of unverified communications is harder. I guess that the airport got permission to use the recording after a review by ATC management.

I think HKG would be a good foreign addition if it were possible.  There are a lot of private high rise apartments on Lantau Island near Chek Lap Kok which could be a feeder.
I certainly recommend to verify the legalities with someone knowledgeable on the topic. I agree that HKG would be a great addition, but fully side with Dave on the "Only where the law allows".

Offline Panop

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 02:14:16 PM »
Back to my original UK query, I appreciate the advice and the hypothetical person would, I am sure, certainly have no wish to be locked up, fined, or even spoken harshly to for anything at all.  I do wonder, though, if the authorities would worry about recordings so old we would be talking historical interest here and nothing of a sensitive nature.   Also, if the hypothetical person did not reside in the UK or keep the recordings in the UK what do you reckon then?  I realise there will be no definitive answer to this until someone actually does something - but I am wondering if there are any known precedents.

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 07:29:11 PM »
Prosecuting illegal listeners to ATC transmissions generally is low on the authorities priorities list, but publishing ATC communications attracts attention. I am no lawyer and will not give you legal advice, but it is my gut feeling that publication of UK ATC recordings is something that could cause you problems with the UK authorities. Seek a knowledgeable lawyer to get authoritative advice on the amount of trouble you might end up in.

So many plans to outsmart the law... so many flaws in those plans.