airtraffic

Author Topic: LHR  (Read 21640 times)

Offline Braniffman

LHR
« on: April 04, 2005, 06:21:14 PM »
Hello,

nOOb here so forgive me if this topic has been discussed before (though I saw nothing similar in the forum's DB). I was wondering when and if the 'Big Kahuana' of int'l airport ATC's, LHR might go on line? Regardless, this is simply a wonderful sight.

Kudos to all of those behind this site. I will be sending a donation in shortly.

In addition to LHR, SYD would be great as well.

Thomas

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: LHR
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 10:52:45 AM »
Quote from: Braniffman
nOOb here so forgive me if this topic has been discussed before (though I saw nothing similar in the forum's DB). I was wondering when and if the 'Big Kahuana' of int'l airport ATC's, LHR might go on line?

Someone else might have a better answer than I, but what a lot of casual users do not realize (I was guilty of this at one time, too) is that each feed is brought to you by a volunteer who happened to live nearby an airport, knew about this site, and had the resources to send the feed up to this site.

Thus, if there is a feed you want, you need to find a volunteer around that particular airport willing to invest the time and equipment needed to produce a feed.   This site will only survive on the willingness of volunteers to maintain existing feeds and provide new ones.

If you do not have the resources yourself to provide a feed, consider digging up someone that might.  :)

One good resource you might want to consider asking is a local flight school that is located at the airport in which you are interested.   Often they can be sold on the idea of providing a feed because they already have a scanner and a PC connected to the internet, they can incorporate the 10-day archive feature this site provides into their learn-to-fly curriculum, and they receive free advertising from this site if they provide a feed.

Another resource is a local flying club.  Many of the members of these clubs do not know about this site and, being aviation buffs by virtue of their enrollment in the club, might be willing to host a feed.

Offline Braniffman

LHR
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 01:14:56 PM »
Thanks for the info KSYR-pjr. As a nOOb to the hobby, I was not aware how this whole process works. Actually it all seems to be a very interesting process. Hopefully, some air band fanatic from the LHR area (as well as SYD) will get on board, in the mean time, I will enjoy what we have so far. I was very happy to see that my hometown airport, IAH, is well represented here. Thank you so much to the person volunteering your tiime ane equipment for our enjoyment.

Thomas

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
LHR
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 01:44:54 PM »
It would be illegal to broadcast LHR, as well as any other UK airport.

Offline IndyTower

Offline Braniffman

LHR
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 06:53:08 PM »
Thanks AmericawestCMH,

I lived in the UK for several years in the 80s and 90s and I do recall hearing that relaying of these types of transmissions are frowned upon there as well as France and Switzerland if I am not mistaken. Too bad as LHR would be a blast to monitor.

Thanks for the links, Indytower, interesting reads.

Thomas

Offline Houghton11

LHR
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 07:42:06 PM »
Ya, it definatly is a bummer that we cant tune into any UK feeds.
Its a trivial rule, because if they want to protect the security of their citizens, then they should shut down all the feeds of the airports that ol' Speedbird operates to.

Perhaps a petition is in order...lol

Seriously though, the UK members on this website should make up and send an email to their Minister of Parliment.

Offline Polehill

LHR
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 03:02:29 AM »
Seriously though, the UK members on this website should make up and send an email to their Minister of Parliment.

I already did.
Read my several previous posts on the matter, and the responses I got from the regulatory authorities. See Indy Towers' links to them, posted in this thread.
I was more than happy to host a feed but not at the risk of being sent to prison!!
Regards
Steve

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
LHR
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 07:52:18 AM »
Quote from: Polehill

I already did.
Read my several previous posts on the matter, and the responses I got from the regulatory authorities. See Indy Towers' links to them, posted in this thread.
I was more than happy to host a feed but not at the risk of being sent to prison!!
Regards
Steve

It's a sad day when anyone actually thinks broadcasting any of this is a security risk.  Any risk that exists surely doesn't have anything to do with communication reception...it has to do with physical proximity.  And anyone who is that close has a scanner if they need it.

This is the typical kind of "security policy" that punishes the innocent and does nothing to improve the world.

Sigh.

Dave