Author Topic: LGA Tower Radio  (Read 9149 times)

Offline w2ltu

LGA Tower Radio
« on: October 31, 2006, 06:20:03 PM »
I live  on the West side of Manhattan, NYC and used to be able to listen on 118.7 MHz and copy LGA Tower clearly. After a couple years I have not been able to copy them except for the occasional aircraft still in the air. Have they reduced power output or coverage for security purposes? Would an airband preamp before my BC780XTL help? Thanks de Jay.

Offline MIAMIATC

Re: LGA Tower Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 07:03:32 PM »
Hi Jay,

Don't feel bad I have noticed that LGA tower hasn't been coming in crystal on my scanners as well and I live accross the river from you in North Bergen NJ. What range streest on the w=side do you live at ? I am opposite of Manhattan around the high 80's over there.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: LGA Tower Radio
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 08:48:27 PM »
New York is a pretty complex RF environment.  It could be anything, including a reduction in power at the tower transmitter.  It's anyone's guess.  But given how small LGA Tower's airspace is, they don't need much power to cover it.  Perhaps they were interfering with something else close by and had to reduce it as much as possible to cure the problem.  Pure speculation on my part...it would be nice to know the real story, of course.

Dave